Defending The Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anubias

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Plz tell me if I'm wrong.....I went to pic up my food from a restaurant. As I looked to my left....I notice a 10 gallon with 12 Fantail Goldfish with CLOUDY WATER....I asked them do they want the fish, he tells me "yeah" I told him" Well...Sir if you do I think you shud get a bigger tank" HIS WORDS WERE GET OUT AND NEVER RETURN!!!! Smh Geeesh....I jus wanted the fish to b healthy!!! :-(

Wow, that's pretty bad. I think people tend to be more defensive when they know they are in the wrong, however.

So Tru, its sad!!! I just wanted the fish to be healthy. Smh Their wasnt a need for him to get THAT UPSET!!! Im sure he didnt no have a clue. Lol Heeey I tried!!! Thats for your input!!

I feel bad for the fish. A near by restaurant had a 55 gallon tank with 2 geophagus and a comet. The light was terrible and the fish were obviously unhealthy. Still better than the silver arrowana they had.

I think instead of insulting him, you could have gone a different route. He shouldn't have snapped at you because it's a place of business and telling you not to come back is just bad for business.

A suggestion would be different, than say "Hey you going to keep the fish, than get a new tank". A better way to handle it would have been. "Sir, I don't mean to offend, but I know a lot about keeping fish, and may I suggest you get a bigger tank for the gold fish so they could grow to be more beautiful than they are now."

@ Bettaowner Y is it that alot of restaurants do that to fish...I dont understand any pet you want to have should have some research done!!! &Thanks for your input guys!!!

They assume customers don't know better so they think they can get away with it.

I see fish in restaurants and often they seem maltreated. I think it is from the old school when fish were simply ornamental pets, or "live decor" like plants.

One deli by me has an excellent "wall" tank and has each species labeled on the base of the tank. Looks pristine, certainly a labor of love.

The man doesn't care for that tank and probably resents ever spending money on it and took his bad decision guilt out on you! Good for you for saying somethig

I think you are all missing the point.

A lot of people don't know any better. So when you say something it taken as an insult.

So instead of insulting the person maybe just say you could help if help is wanted. There is many ways of talking to someone that does not know much about fish tanks than acting like your some hero.

An example would be "As a patron of your restaurant, I like your fish tank, I know a lot about tanks myself and could give you pointers on how to get rid of that algae problem:" Anything is better than just saying "You plan on keeping that, you should get a new tank". If you come of as insulting than you don't teach or help, you just come off as a know it all.

Back
Top Bottom