Digital Camera Advice- a few more questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I want to get a digital camera for christmas.. a NICE one. Of course i have to tell my hubby EXACTLY what to get or he will get the wrong one.. LOL. So i need advice on what pixils to look for.. actually i have no clue what to look for. The only thing i every use is disposable 35mm or my camera phone :roll: so i need all the education i an get. I want a good camera that i an use to take pics of my friends, family, AND pets of course. I want ones that will take really good pictures of my fishies too!
oh and if you have any links to specific brands and stuff that i could look at that would be nice as well. Maybe cameras you have and stuff.
Thanks!
ashley

The largest factor on what we can recommend will be how much you want to spend. I can happily recommend the camera I have but you may not want to spend that much.

I don't want to spend over $200 - 500... i mean cheaper isn't always better.. but i wan't a GOOD camera.. and i have no idea what to look for. Like when it says however many pixils i have no clue :? what is a good amount? LOL. I know more is better but anyway if you could point me in the right direction..

I have a Canon Powershot A-85. Its a 4mp camera that takes decent pics. One thing that I like about the Canon is it uses AA batteries, either regular alkaline or the rechargables. Many other types of cameras require special batteries which can be a little spendy. The Canon also uses the compact flash type media card which tend to be a little cheaper then other types of media. In the end it boils down to what type of features you want as well. Most cameras will have macro mode(close-up), but many also short you on the optical zoom. Don't pay too much attention to digital zoom numbers because I find they tend to make images grainier. My camera only has a 3x optical but I wish I would have spent a little more and found one with a 10x optical zoom. Here is alink to a website that I was on for days before I made my decision.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

With 5-6 mp (and larger) you can pretty much print to just about any size you want with a little PS help, you need to look at features and see what's important to you, and then you need to start reading reviews.

Thanks everyone!!! Now i have some thinking to do :twisted: I've always been one to take a lot of pictures but never really into good photography... hmmm maybe i should take a photography class when i get out of RN school? LOL

When buying my digital camera, I went to www.cnet.com. It's a consumer reports kind of site for all tech stuff. Click on the digital camera link. It has articles to help you decide what features are impt to you and how much you want to spend. It also ranks cameras based on their performance and pic quality.

The minimum features I'd recommend are at least 3 megapixels and at least 3 optical zoom. For many cameras you'd be best to buy more memory and rechargable batteries. I got the memory upgrade, AA batteries and charger bundled with my camera on Ebay and saved at least $80. I looked for a refurbished camera as a "Buy it Now"

Good luck.

ok, now i know you will think im ignorant... really i am, but i want a camcorder and i was looking at this digital camcorder and it says 680,000 Pixels ... does that mean it's 6.8 megapixels? and it says it takes video AND still pictures.. im thinking a combo is great.. LOL. I really want the video camera the most... because i can burn DVD's on my computer.
Also, here is the search page, if anyone has the time, if anything on that page is better than another, i don't know anything about what im getting, except i know that i wan't it to give me good videos that i can upload and burn on myc omputer, and be able to take decent still pics as well. If any of you experts can point me in the right direction id appreciate!

Digital Camcorders

oh and the reason im going on Dell is because i have a dell preferred account :roll:

I know nothing about camcorders except that a still from a digicamcorder is not going to compare to a still from a digital still camera. 6megapixels = 6 million pixels.

reefrunner69 said:
I know nothing about camcorders except that a still from a digicamcorder is not going to compare to a still from a digital still camera. 6megapixels = 6 million pixels.

oh.. wow.. that makes a huge difference then huh.. LOL. So i guess i need to get a camcorder for a camcorder and a digital still camera for still pics... it just seems so handy to have 2 in 1!!!! Well i guess you give up quality for conveinence, I love my camera phone, but the pics are crappy compared to some of you guys!

I think ive decided to invest in a digital camera separte from a camcorder... so im gonna stick with getting the camera this christmas and maybe a camcoder for.. um... sometime next year.. LOL. Anyway thanks for all the info and the great links everyone~

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A0479486&category_id=4005

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

That one you showed me.. it says it can take video clips at 1GB per clip.. never mind, i read that its only a few minuts of video at a time.

Ok ive found a few featurs that i am intersted in.
I am interested in something that can take video snapshots as well... even if it is only a few minutes, but on reading i find that most do offer that as well.. which is cool
Also... a waterproof camera would be awesome... im kinda clumsy.. i tend to spill stuff a lot and also i like to go to the beach, pool, springs a lot during the summer.
As far as the tech specs go i know i want at least 5 million pixels and zoom, a decent flash (duh.. lol) and i want to be able to hook it up to my computer by a USB port.
I really like the cannon.. and it has everything i want except for being waterproof!! LOL.. any other suggestions appreciated

I have a sony cybershot dsc-p92, 5.0 megapixels. It's a decent cheap camera. I used it for all the fish pics in my gallery.

talloulou you have georgous pics!!! If i can spend less money that's definitely better.. LOL.. My husband and i have decided to get a digital camera AND a digital camcorder for christmas so It turns out i can't spend 500 on just the camera.. LOL. But i would like my digital camera to have the video clip capapcity and the camcorder to be able to take stills. Even though the quality is not the best.. LOL, that way we can use one or the other if we only have one with us. Does that make sense? LOL.

I am not aware of any point & Shoot digitals or bridge cameras that are waterproof. Water sealing alone would add several hundred dollars to the price of the camera. You can buy waterproof housings for them but they are expensive.

I just got the canon sd300 elph. it's great camera, and super small so it can fit in a pair of jeans pockets. When I was shopping I had a good friend in the industry help me out with all those numbers. 4mg+ is good, All you really need for the naked eye and up to poster size. The optical zoom is the most important number. The higher the better. Thats my 2 bits. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom