Do fish feel Pain? The debate continues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

targaboy78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys,

I know this topic has been "done to death" but I read this article today.
LONDON (Reuters) - Anglers take note -- British scientists say that after years of debate, they now have proof that fish feel pain....

The research found that fish have receptors in their heads and that subjecting them to noxious substances causes "adverse behavioral and physiological changes."

"This fulfils the criteria for animal pain," said Dr Lynne Sneddon who headed the research, published on Wednesday by the Royal Society, Britain's national academy of science.
For the full article...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&ncid=583&e=4&u=/nm/20030430/od_nm/odd_fish_dc

Without being a scientist by trade, I would say form observation that yes fish feel pain. All you have to do is see them fight and you can see that pain is involved. For example, you see two fish goin at it until one get gashed or bitten enough, and runs away. Why does he run away? if it didn't hurt, why wouldn't it just fight till it couldn't fight no more? And when they fight for territory, why does one seem to win? Obviously there is some emotion going on there, or one wouldn't shy away.

I sincerely believe that all creatures experience pain of some sort. To what degree? I don't think it is absolutely possible to know. I think that is a question for when we meet our maker.

Dude did you guys see what was on peta's website? craaazy people think they have a chance against eliminating fishing. Some of their stuff is completly justified and I give them props for that but the stuff like this really pisses me off.

I think about 1/2485353 of PETA's crap is nessacary, that small percent of good they do, accounts for when they leave their offices. Ok ok. Had to crack on those crazy liberals. I love to fish, and love to keep fish. I actually love fishing more than keeping fish, because I only get to fish every now and then where I keep fish 24/7.

I think stopping fishing is crazy, the ocean would overpopulate and get all nasty. This is why when I catch me a big grouper (the non-ornamental kind), I CHOW DOWN!

d9hp said:
I think stopping fishing is crazy, the ocean would overpopulate and get all nasty. This is why when I catch me a big grouper (the non-ornamental kind), I CHOW DOWN!

I don't think we would ever have to worry about that. They seemed to do fine in the ocean before people came along. Besisdes, we would find better ways to kill them, like pollution. I do like fishing though, catch and release only. I hate the taste of fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom