Do my fish recognize me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They definitely do. My old GT used to swim to the side I always fed him on anytime I entered the room. He could see me at least 20 feet away. I'd even peak around the corner sometimes and catch him off guard.

I have a tank with a blood parrot, 2 gouramis and 3 giant danios. I LOVE MY BLOOD PARROT. She DEF recognizes me. As soon as I walk in the door from work, she gets SO excited and craves attention lol. Probably because she knows its time to eat, but I still love it. Reminds me of a dog greeting you at the door when you get home :) My other fish seem to care less though..... hahaha

Totally agree there like babies they get so excited when they see u

Totally agree there like babies they get so excited when they see u

I have an occasional day of "fasting" for my fish, and they always make me feel guilty when I get near the tank and they get all excited to see me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My guppies swarm to the top of the tank if the see my hand go up but if I'm just watching them they swim all around the tank

Ohh neat I only feed once a day I was reading that u can feed your cichlids vegetables?

This may be a new twist on whether fish actually recognize us or something we are holding.
I have a bank of tanks outside with another tank that is perpendicular to the bank of tanks. Today, I was holding a can of food as well as a breeding slate for the back tank as I went behind the bank of tanks. Normally, when I open the back door to the porch where the fish are, they all come running to that side of the tank. I thought it was me they were coming for. lol Today, I went behind the tanks and put down the can of food so I had 2 hands to deal with placing the breeding slate in the one tank. I noticed that the fish were not looking at me but out the side glass instead. I couldn't believe my eyes. So I went in and got my camera and repeated what I had just done. Keep in mind that I am standing directly behind the tank. Only the camera is at an angle to avoid flashback. In pic #1, you'll notice that the fish in the back are not looking out the back glass where I am standing but are looking out the side. The larger fish in the front just moved from the side view as I snapped the picture. In pic #2, you'll see what they were looking at. Most of the fish were still looking at the "prize" when I snapped the pic. So is it really me they recognize? :D

Attachments

• pic1 fixed.jpg
    pic1 fixed.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
  • pic 2 with food fixed.jpg
    pic 2 with food fixed.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 89
Yeah, I've read that Discus will recognize their owners and eat out of their hand.

Back
Top Bottom