Do you guys think this tank is a bit overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevorSB1004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 30 gallon w/ a filter meant for it:
6 zebra danios
1 3 spot gourami
3 Austrailian Rainbowfish
1 Madagascar Rainbowfish
1 Cory Cat
1 Rubber lip pleco
1 kuhli loach
1 rosy barb
1 platy

This tank sounds a bit overstocked to me but I would like some other people's opinion. I do weekly water changes on all my tanks, and this one seems to be fine and no crazy water parameters. So, are there any bad things this slight overstock can cause down the road? If so, how to fix it. Thanks!

Your Tank

Hello trev...

As long as the fish get along, then your only job is to keep the tank water as clean as possible. A 30 G will require large water changes of at least half the tank's volume every week, as well as maintaining the filtration system. No slacking, though. If you can do this, your fish will be fine.

B

Hi there,

I don't know about overstocking, but both cory cats and rosy barbs should be kept in large groups of at least 5, preferably more. Google suggests rainbowfish are also shoaling fish, and need groups of 6+, and kuhli loaches need groups of about 3 or more. In my experience, platies tend to do better in groups of 3 or more, but you'd need to keep either males only if you don't want fry, or a 2:1 ratio of females to males if you want to breed them.

So if it were me, I'd stick with the danios, the pleco and the gourami, and then get a group of one other shoaling species (probably the cories for me, but that's just my personal taste :p)

Back
Top Bottom