Do you talk to your fish ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I talk to my fish. And yeah, my fish all know feeding time! Especially when I feed frozen. They all know what the little cup means, and when I sit it on the glass top to thaw they all start circling under it like sharks.

I talk to my fish. And yeah, my fish all know feeding time! Especially when I feed frozen. They all know what the little cup means, and when I sit it on the glass top to thaw they all start circling under it like sharks.
Personally, I don't talk to mine but I don't think people who do are crazy or nerdy. Fish are very intelligent. Like Alyxx's, mine also know when it's feeding time. I do talk to my dog though. I swear someday she'll talk back, when no ones around to witness it of course:hide::hide:

Knowing when food is coming or where to hide isn't exactly intelligence to me...

And as for my award I was given.. Thanks I gladly accept it... One of the things I was taught in school was to give long and detailed explanations or what not of things... I do that all the time and personally I think that's more positive then negative..

I like to say hi to my fish. But often find myself just staring at them. My mom likes to walk in at that moment and say "hey, are you spazzing?" lol

Knowing when food is coming, combined with personality and knowing where to hide, plus staking out a territory takes brain matter, and that implies intelligence, IMO. Congrats for your detailed explanations and generalizations though...

I'll admit I'm a fish nerd, is that such a crime? :p I talk to my fish all the time, does that make me crazy? Nope. Pretty sure we're all sane people here, simply enjoying a hobby we have in common - in the way we prefer. :)

Knowing when food is coming or where to hide isn't exactly intelligence to me...

And as for my award I was given.. Thanks I gladly accept it... One of the things I was taught in school was to give long and detailed explanations or what not of things... I do that all the time and personally I think that's more positive then negative..

You realize you're generalizing and calling a bunch of people crazy and "loony", right? How can you possibly think that that is more positive than negative?

When I enter my room my fish stop all activitie and watch me. I have to lay very still on my bed before the go about normal activitie. They only do this for me and my mom who are the only ones who normally feed them.

When I first started out. I always tapped the lid to let them know I was feeding them. They figured it out after two days. Now they know if I approache the tank they will be fed in the same spot I always do.

Someone made a comment about fish arnt smart if they know feeding times. My bala shark doesn't seem to have figured it out. He just swims and when he sees food he eats. He can't anticipate. Some of my fish are comfortable with me touching them. My pink gourami loves me. I thought about getting rid of him, but I found he has the best personality. O am surprised how intelligent he is.

I do talk to my fish but only grumbling when i am trying to clean the tank and they think its okay to surround my hands or try to chase them away from there territory.

I only hot into this hobby less than six months ago and I cant get enough.

Yes (I talk to my fish and inverts)

If this was just a poll my answer is above, do not read further and waste your time, otherwise...

Talking to ones self is an excellent way to work through issues and problem solve.

Interesting how quickly one can criticize a topic point which is greatly a subjective one, not taking into account so many variables.

Thank you Spock! Talking to fish is highly illogical.

Talking to ones self or to a pet or fish isn't crazy. There are clinical definitions people can look up and study if interested, but in this moment, I bet most every one here is not. ;)

Verbal communication is simply one method of communicating. My fish don't talk verbally, if I thought so, that would be "crazy".

But communication is not only verbal. Animals, including fish communicate very well. And have intelligence. Learning to read clues/body language of people and animals could make you arguably more intelligent (stretching a new part of your brain,) and skilled.

Some are not as quick to criticize a "gamer", or Bill Gates or Thomas Edison, or Marie Curie for being obsessed. People have different passions, gifts and interests.

Aren't we glad there are so many choices of how we like to spend our time, who or what we like to spend it with and who we want to talk to, especially here in the USA. :popcorn:

Synopsis - Talking to fish (and inverts) is part of the fun!

Personally, I don't talk to mine but I don't think people who do are crazy or nerdy. Fish are very intelligent. Like Alyxx's, mine also know when it's feeding time. I do talk to my dog though. I swear someday she'll talk back, when no ones around to witness it of course:hide::hide:

One time, one of my dogs did "talk back" and scared the crap out of my mom. She had just got home from work and one of the dogs was in the side part of the yard up by the driveway (we had the yard fenced all the way up to the front of the house.) And my mom was just getting stuff out of the car when she swore somebody said her name (Sharon.) She freaked out and snuck up to the fence to peek behind it and it was just the dog, who just kept chattering at her. This dog was a husky mix, and anyone who has had huskies know how they "talk". Oh, and one of my cats does seem to talk back. You will say something to her and she meows back.

And I agree that talking to your fish doesn't make you crazy, at least as long as you don't hear them answering. Personally, I have a bad short term memory and a short attention span, and I find talking to myself aloud helps keep me on track sometimes, and the habit carries over to talking to my fish.

One time, one of my dogs did "talk back" and scared the crap out of my mom. She had just got home from work and one of the dogs was in the side part of the yard up by the driveway (we had the yard fenced all the way up to the front of the house.) And my mom was just getting stuff out of the car when she swore somebody said her name (Sharon.) She freaked out and snuck up to the fence to peek behind it and it was just the dog, who just kept chattering at her. This dog was a husky mix, and anyone who has had huskies know how they "talk". Oh, and one of my cats does seem to talk back. You will say something to her and she meows back.

:ROFLMAO: I have heard that happening before. My cat talks back, of course in meow though... My mom always said, when I was a kid..."Our cat comes from Hawaii... where do you live?" "Mowi," said the cat / aka Maui HAHAHA This was always a little confusing as the kitten had come from my grandma's farm in California also where I first met Guppies.

This cat will get very insistent when she meow back, and we just tell her to learn English because we don't speak cat. Then she will usually go flop down on the floor and stare at us for a while. Hehe... Mowi... That's funny.

This cat will get very insistent when she meow back, and we just tell her to learn English because we don't speak cat. Then she will usually go flop down on the floor and stare at us for a while. Hehe... Mowi... That's funny.

My cat fluffy always responds to her name, like she is saying "what?"

I have. Female guppy I call beast after she murdered a feeder endler guppy male half her size trying to eat him . Lol I talk to all my fish and name all 7 Betta fis and named a few of my guppy . I talk to myself all the time lol

I have. Female guppy I call beast after she murdered a feeder endler guppy male half her size trying to eat him . Lol I talk to all my fish and name all 7 Betta fis and named a few of my guppy . I talk to myself all the time lol

I named my bettas, corys, shrimp, and a couple tetra (easily distinguishable)

I talk to my fishes sometimes. Not that I think they understand me, It's more like I'm thinking out loud to myself, but directing the words at them. I often don't have any people around to talk to, so speaking "to" the fish is kinda comforting. I used to talk like that to my cat, before he died last year.

I do the same I thought it was pretty normal tool I started reading this xD

well I now believe fish understand (although like cats they may not listen)..last night I threatened my female guppies that they either had babies or I was putting the male back in with them this morning (its been over a month and we were thinking we were just feeding them and making them fat, not preggers)...so far I count 5 new guppies LOL

well I now believe fish understand (although like cats they may not listen)..last night I threatened my female guppies that they either had babies or I was putting the male back in with them this morning (its been over a month and we were thinking we were just feeding them and making them fat, not preggers)...so far I count 5 new guppies LOL

Lol nice congrats

I talk to my fish all the time sometimes they act like they know what I'm telling them

Back
Top Bottom