Do you talk to your fish ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you talk to your fish ?

I do all the time , I sit on the sofa next to my 55g and have a chat with whoever comes to see me ... Am I nuts lol? Or can someone else clarify its part of the hobby :)

I think your a tad crazed.... I have noticed people on this hobby can be a bit too crazed and too nerdy when it comes to simple fish which are utterly stupid in terms of intelligence... I talk to people in the hobby in person who are crazed too... They really freak me out... I love my 4 tanks, and I love getting up in the morning a and sitting next to my 30 and 55g tanks and watching the fish... or sitting on my computer in my room typing on forums like right now and looking at my 27g hexagon right next to my desk... but I do draw the line when it comes to be obsessed about it...

I have lots of interesting hobbies... Fish, cars, Jeeps, astronomy, and video games, and stuff like that... and out of them on forums and in person.. Fish tank people are just loony lol.. Im not saying you are or giving out names on this forum haha.. but im saying in general..

I talk to my fishes sometimes. Not that I think they understand me, It's more like I'm thinking out loud to myself, but directing the words at them. I often don't have any people around to talk to, so speaking "to" the fish is kinda comforting. I used to talk like that to my cat, before he died last year.

I think your a tad crazed.... I have noticed people on this hobby can be a bit too crazed and too nerdy when it comes to simple fish which are utterly stupid in terms of intelligence... I talk to people in the hobby in person who are crazed too... They really freak me out... I love my 4 tanks, and I love getting up in the morning a and sitting next to my 30 and 55g tanks and watching the fish... or sitting on my computer in my room typing on forums like right now and looking at my 27g hexagon right next to my desk... but I do draw the line when it comes to be obsessed about it...

Lol thanks for that :) I'm not obsessed about it I usually talk to them when I'm feeding them, or cleaning .. And my fry tank gets "morning babies" when I feed them.. I'm not crazed just love my critters ;) honest , the straight jacket is somewhere !

I talk to my fishes sometimes. Not that I think they understand me, It's more like I'm thinking out loud to myself, but directing the words at them. I often don't have any people around to talk to, so speaking "to" the fish is kinda comforting. I used to talk like that to my cat, before he died last year.

Same here ;) I talk to my dogs too ;)

I talk to my dog. I leave out key words such as "walk" or "treat" unless I really mean it.

I did not think I spoke to my fish but my son recently complained to my wife that he cannot use Skype in the home office (where his desktop pc is and where my planted tank is) because he would be the guy with the crazy dad talking to his fish in the background. Too bad for him. Lol

I have lots of interesting hobbies... Fish, cars, Jeeps, astronomy, and video games, and stuff like that... and out of them on forums and in person.. Fish tank people are just loony lol.. Im not saying you are or giving out names on this forum haha.. but im saying in general..

I think you're being a tad harsh. Talking to your fish would be no different than talking to yourself in my opinion. Verbalizing your thoughts is natural, even if they are toward your fish and does not indicate obsession.

I think you're being a tad harsh. Talking to your fish would be no different than talking to yourself in my opinion. Verbalizing your thoughts is natural, even if they are toward your fish and does not indicate obsession.

Maybe I am, talking to your dog or cat in my opinion is different then talking to your fish though lol... Like if you have a full conversation with your fish... I dunno what to say about that lol... Now if you say your a pretty fish and stuff like that yea I do that too.. Like when I look at my 55g and watch my Bolivian ram he watches me too and im like who are you looking at buddy lol..

I talk to myself in my head like any other person does.. There are two people in everyones mind and I think that's what helps us make a decision... but if you talk to yourself out loud I dunno I always thought that was weird.. My mom has been doing it the last like 5-6 years... It worries me sometimes... she never used to just randomly talk to herself... I dunno

But I do still stand firm when it comes to how crazy and nerdy fish tank people get... Im sure some of you can agree with me... I literally have tons of expensive hobbies and I have multiple forums I visit and I have bee on for years and Pokémon forums lol and fish tank forums the people on them get a little overboard on some stuff... Meaning the way they act...

Like seriously.. lol

Maybe I am, talking to your dog or cat in my opinion is different then talking to your fish though lol... Like if you have a full conversation with your fish... I dunno what to say about that lol... Now if you say your a pretty fish and stuff like that yea I do that too.. Like when I look at my 55g and watch my Bolivian ram he watches me too and im like who are you looking at buddy lol..

I talk to myself in my head like any other person does.. There are two people in everyones mind and I think that's what helps us make a decision... but if you talk to yourself out loud I dunno I always thought that was weird.. My mom has been doing it the last like 5-6 years... It worries me sometimes... she never used to just randomly talk to herself... I dunno

But I do still stand firm when it comes to how crazy and nerdy fish tank people get... Im sure some of you can agree with me... I literally have tons of expensive hobbies and I have multiple forums I visit and I have bee on for years and Pokémon forums lol and fish tank forums the people on them get a little overboard on some stuff... Meaning the way they act...

Like seriously.. lol

The award for turning a simple yes or no question into an unnecessary generalization goes to........you

Haha I'm glad other people talk to there selfs, fish, cats, and dogs :)

Ps I don't agree with Candyman - my fish are far more intelligent than I expected. They know the exact time for dinner and each has a distinct personality.

Ps I don't agree with Candyman - my fish are far more intelligent than I expected. They know the exact time for dinner and each has a distinct personality.

Yeah I thought that too :) and it's good to know I'm not the only crazy person on here lol...

If people were all the same, the world would be a boring place. I have many hobbies and love my fish. They are my pets, pets know there owners whether they are fish, dogs lizards etc.

My girlfriends gecko comes out of his hide the moment he hears her voice. Fish are the same. They see the little blue tub in my hand and they are swirling round the tank. They are now completely unfazed by my messing about in and around the tank. They brush past my hand. There are lots more to fish than meets the eye. I greet them but don't generally talk to them. We communicate using the power of the mind!

Everyone in the house talks to my fish at this point..hard not to when they come running up to see if they can sweet talk you into feeding the greedy little buggers. The angles "shimmy" and the female guppies will show you where the large snails are (so I can crush them for them)...kind of funny to watch them all do their things. Even the wifes gold fish will swim over and give you the "eye" until you drop a little more food into the tank at night (its next to the bed)

Back
Top Bottom