Don't know what this fish called

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amru1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please advise as to what this fish is?

Also is it a coldwater or tropical fish?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
There were two types of freshwater fish in the video, the first being ID sharks, which are actually a pangasiuis catfish, which grows to 3 feet, and is sold in filet form as Basa. The other is (I think) a Bala shark, also not a shark, which doesn't get as big.

Thank you so much to all you experts for your replies.

The fish I like are the bala silver sharks you mention and I see these are tropical fish not cold water.

Would you be able to advise as to what would be good fish to go along with bala silver sharks?

amru1 said:
Thank you so much to all you experts for your replies.

The fish I like are the bala silver sharks you mention and I see these are tropical fish not cold water.

Would you be able to advise as to what would be good fish to go along with bala silver sharks?

How large is your tank ? Balas are nervous fish and need to be in a group of at least 5.

They need a tank of AT LEAST 125g.

They grow quickly and get up to 14".

They tend to die easily in small tanks. They startle and hit the walls or jump out.

They are NOT a shark, they are actually a Minnow. They get fat looking once they grow up.

So if you have a 150g or larger tank, then you can ask about tank mates.

Thanks Coursair - they certainly do get fat.
I don't have an aquarium yet - something i am looking to start so can get a large enough tank to factor in their future growth.

Am I right in assuming I should not have balas with Chichilid type fish?

There are two other fish in the link fish tank picture , free photo sharing
The 5 x yellow& black fish and the 4 x blue and white stipeed fish at the bottom of the tank. Do you know what type of fish these are please and can they live with Balas?

amru1 said:
Thanks Coursair - they certainly do get fat.
I don't have an aquarium yet - something i am looking to start so can get a large enough tank to factor in their future growth.

Am I right in assuming I should not have balas with Chichilid type fish?

There are two other fish in the link fish tank picture , free photo sharing
The 5 x yellow& black fish and the 4 x blue and white stipeed fish at the bottom of the tank. Do you know what type of fish these are please and can they live with Balas?

No ! Those are African Cichlids. Different water , different set up, much more aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom