Double stacked tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Double Stacked Tanks

• Yes I like them, and either have them or want to set one up.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I don't like them. Too much hassle getting to the lower tank.

Votes: 27 81.8%

• Total voters

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was picking up a stand and was discussing the double tanks.... that is two tanks on one stand. Both of us said we really didn't like them. Two main reasons were the other tank being so low, and also not enough room to get in and tweak the lighting/open the lid for feeding.

So leads me to ask ya'll you're opinions.

Obviously this is double stacking tanks with fish, not a lower tank to act as a sump.

I don't like them personaly, i have put a QT tank below a tank in a stand before, but not any sort of display tank. You can't see the fish at all down there without getting on the floor.

We had our 10g on the bottom shelf of our 29g stand. It was a pain in the arse to clean (which is probably part of the reason we had an ammonia spike) We moved it to it's own stand. Now under the 29g we have a 5.5g qt. It's still a bit rough trying to do water changes but since we didn't do gravel or anything other than silk plants it's working out ok.

I forgot about the water cleaning.... Yes that is another good and practical reason for not liking them :vader:.

I remember doing a fill test on a 29g outside and trying to drain it at ground level it was a P.I.T.A.

My thoughts exactly... the tank height ive got now is pushing my python because my sink is so high... you would have a very very hard time doing gravel vacs and water changes

I'm not a fan either, because of practicality/ease of cleaning, and also I just don't find it aesthetically pleasing.

TO me it depends on the intended use. As a QT or breeding setup, you can't beat stacking the tanks and effectively doubling (or more) the available square footage. As a display, I don't like the look. So, I can't really vote for either. lol

i remember forgetting about a tank a time or two.. would leave the light on for 2 days >.>.. it was the feeder fish fish tank.. so yeah.. oops?

The out of sight out of mind. I know I can fit either 10g or other tanks on two of my stands, but wouldn't want to for reasons I initially posted.

As a QT or sump I can see it to save room but not for a tank that normalls has fins in it.

I have a 29g/20L double tank setup. The 20L is on the bottom. I don't love it, but it works because of lack of floor space. I have a Python for water changes and it isn't hard to do water changes in the 20L. The hard part is worrying about sucking up shrimp and fish...haha. I don't like the lack of storage and the fact that my canister filter for the 29g has to be out in the open...same with the timer/power strip. I don't have a problem with double stands...though I'd rather have a wooden cabinet stand for each tank. I voted yes, I like them. :D

well i wasnt sure how to vote. i dont like double stacked tanks..... why bother with doubles when you can do triples.

img_1018469_0_fdd42fcae4a79902564ce2ad9a78edcb.jpg

well i wasnt sure how to vote. i dont like double stacked tanks..... why bother with doubles when you can do triples.

Dude you don't know how bad i want a big run down of all your tanks. pics and everything. What your doing etc. (breeding and such). I know you have alot of tanks and there all freshwater. Please man, tell me, tell me NOW. plz.:razz:

Mgamer - what kind of shelving is that? I want some!

One of teh main problems I am running into is weight consideration.

When I was talking about double tanking I was thinking the iron stands or the wooded ones not a good shelving unit like your's.

Also looks like for some of your lighting you went the way of Home depot or Lowes. Hard to judge scale but how do you do water changes on teh higher and lower tanks?

I think the racks are called bread racks. You can get them usually at lowes or home depot. All the shelves are adjustable. They are used alot in store rooms of commercial stores.

I'll ask the engineer at work if I can look through some of this catalogs and get the cost on some fro myself.

Hmm might even be able to work out a sump filtering system with racks like that.

Back
Top Bottom