Drop checker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
My day started great. So I decided to go to as much LFS as I can(out of town as well). I was looking for bromothymol blue solution for my drop checker and the conversation went like this with the 5 LFS that I've been to...

Me: Do you have a drop checker and bromothymol blue?
LFS: :confused:
Me: "Explained what it's for"
LFS: bubble counter?
Me: No, a drop checker.
LFS: "looking confused again"
Me: "showed the guy a picture of a drop checker"
LFS: oh, a bubble counter!
Me: No, a drop checker "fake smile"
LFS: we don't carry that. Go check the other stores.
Me: "why u no have drop checker?!"

I didn't really say the last part. Lol.

Thats pretty much how it went with all 5 stores. How come they don't know what a drop checker is? Frustrating...

Planted Aquariums are such a niche segment of the hobby... a good knowledgeable store that deals in planted tank equipment is such a rarity--especially with the advent of the internet.

eBay seems to be about the best source if you want a glass drop checker... otherwise I think Dr. Foster & Smith sells the plastic ones on the cheap.

Don't forget your 4dKH solution... Even stores that sell drop checkers often don't understand that a drop checker is measuring CO2 very arbitrarily if a standard known solution is not mixed with the bromothymol blue.

I made a 4dkh solution last week. Baking soda and distilled water. How low does the solution last before I need to make another one? I also bought a cheap drop checker on eBay from hong kong that came with a CO2 solution. A mix of 4dkh, bromothymol blue and another one. It doesn't work though. The solution is color orange. I asked the seller and they said to mix it with aquarium water. I know that that is incorrect and just decided to buy the bromothymol blue. I asked the LFS first if they have a drop checker because if they do there is a big chance they have the bromothymol blue as well. I guess I'll just buy that on eBay or is there any website that is better?

mfdrookie516 said:
Lounge? Hmmm. Ok.

Drop checker. So, you just drop it in and it checks the co2?

It wasn't really a question about a drop checker but how come the LFS doesn't know anything about it. So, I wasn't sure if I should post it n planted aquarium forum.

Anyways, what do you mean by "just drop it in and it checks CO2? The solution that came with my drop checker?

Thats pretty much how it went with all 5 stores. How come they don't know what a drop checker is? Frustrating...

Same reason they don't know what cycling is 75% of the time and if I say fishless cycling they almost faint lol. A new (well new ownership) LFS owner asked how I was cycling and when I told him pure ammo, his comment was "goin' old school, nice...". That almost made me faint lol.

$10 for 3. Thats a good price. Where is "default" though? The location says "default,default" :D

Mr. Limpet said:
Same reason they don't know what cycling is 75% of the time and if I say fishless cycling they almost faint lol. A new (well new ownership) LFS owner asked how I was cycling and when I told him pure ammo, his comment was "goin' old school, nice...". That almost made me faint lol.

Haha! Did you end up explaining to him how it works? And that it's not old school? :D

mfdrookie516 said:
hong kong... its default, default, hong kong. Odd name for a city, dont ya think? :whistle::hide::dance::deadhorse::fish2::banghead::fish1:

Is it really? Lol. Are you joking again?

Back
Top Bottom