Earthquake Protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earthquakes in California are figment of Hollywood's imagination. I'd be more concerned about living in tornado alley or hurricane prone areas. Besides, I have not felt an earthquake for days!

Coming from Florida (hurricane prone) and having moved to Colorado (tornado alley) I can personally say I prefer hurricanes to tornadoes. At least with hurricanes you get a week warning. It turns from tropical depression to tropical storm and then goes from there. With tornadoes all you get is sirens. You might get lucky and hear on a news cast that there are storm cells that could produce tornadoes.

Also with hurricanes, you can plan a hurricane party. ;) Back in the day when Hurricane David hit Daytona Beach, my dad had one **** of a party.

you can't do anything about strong earthquakes, for lighter earthquakes, keep it in a place where it doesn't move or shake much.

But eathquakes generally give you less warning than a tornado and are more difficult to get away from.

Oh I disagree. Having never experienced any type of natural disaster, my solution to earthquakes would simply be to jump. As soon as you're off the ground, you don't feel the quake anymore. Making it VERY easy to get away from. :lol: For tornadoes, you're SOL.

So if we made floating/hover houses.... :robot:

Anyone else in So Cal felt the 7.2 Baja earthquake? I live in the Valley area of So Cal and the house rocked and rolled gently for about 30 seconds. My two Silver Dollar fish were going crazy, almost jumping out.

I was playing a online game with 2 of my friends when they started typing EARTHQUAKE franticly. lol, it was so funny. I looked it up and found it out to be true.

Yea for people closer to the LA area it was a gentle rocking and rolling that lasted for a while...but for those who live in San Diego area, it was pretty bad. Seen a video they had on the news about a family in Temecula video taping them sitting in the living room and just playing with the kids....when all of a sudden it started shaking like crazy. The dad was sleeping on the couch and literally jumped up and went under the table in less than a second.

I'm waiting to hear back from my niece who lives there. I was in San Diego the last time there was a Baja quake (last December). I never felt a thing. It was my last day there and the quake hit about the time I was getting on the plane come home. After landing (6 hours later) I turned my cell phone back on and a flood of text messages came in from the rest of family wondering if I was OK. One of my other nieces (in NYC) heard something about a quake and San Diego and went into panic mode, calling everyone in the family to find out if anyone had heard from me. I found it quite humerous.

Back
Top Bottom