earthquakes and fishies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok.. i live in southern california and in this last week there have been some strong earthquakes.. nothing has done damage..

but to my people in southern california, what do you do to prepare your fishtanks for possible earthquakes ?

put them on springs on the celing lol.. if its strong enough to do damage... your fish tank might not be there 8O

The only thing I would suggest, *I grew up in Northern CA* is to make sure your tank stand is secured to the wall, to keep it from tipping over if its tall. You can get those strap things for book shelves and dressers in the baby department of most any store. Attach those to the studs in the walls. Maybe some back up battery powerd pumps. Think about heat too. How many time have I read about someone loosing their entire tank because the power was lost for days, and they werent prepared.... I would just make sure the stand was secured to the wall, and a tight fitting lid wouldnt hurt either. I remember my fish all of a sudden freaking out, hitting the sides of the glass, and jumping out of the water hitting the top... about 2 minutes later, I noticed the water sloshing back and forth in the tank. It was an earthquake and had I not had a tight lid on the tank, I would have lost alot more water then I did... and probably a few fish too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom