Emperor Scorpion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody in here got one of these? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm having a hard time finding one in my area. I want one of the ones that look blue in normal light . . . .most of the ones I see online are black or brown, but I've also seen some really cool blue ones. I understand they all glow under black light.

I want one of the ones that look blue in normal light

If it's blue under normal light then it's painted on. No such thing as a blue scorpion of any species.

Careful around those who may be allergic to insect venom. Though Emperor scorpions are one of the least toxic of the scorpions (the equivelant to a bee sting or two) and rarely cause any harm other than a painful sting, an allergic reaction can cause death...and don't be too set back by their placid behavior. A pissy Emperor will sting, so have a good grip on it's 'tail' when handling.

I've had a few different kinds of scorpions and as interesting as they are they are boring to say the least...LOL. Neat to study though. The most enjoyment I got was witnessing one of mine give birth. It was the most unique birth I think that exists in the animal kingdom. No kidding!! It instantly reminded me of the zodiac sign Scorpio and what it represents in astrology...transformation. Now I understand how the scorpion earned that position.

As it went...she would hold three white things in those comb like appendages under her abdomen. They were on top of each other and the closest one to her body was a smooth oval egg. The one under it was also oval, but not as smooth. It had creases in the egg. The third one...closest to the ground was a white scorpion. It's as if the eggs literally transform to the shape of a little scorpion once outside the mother's body and only took about 15 minutes for the egg to take shape. It seems the outer shell of the egg becomes their armor. So, instead of hatching out of the egg/eggsack, it becomes part of them.

So this guy is painted? Or does a camera flash give them that "blue" effect because of their ability to flouresce?

Bug,%20S5.jpg

That's not a blue pigment. That is a light reflection of the color surrounding the scorpion in the photo.

Also, black pigment can be so dense it may appear blue (a dark navy type blue). That is true black. Dark browns won't have that effect. Again, it's a play with light such as the reflection of blue in the photo on the scorpion.

I went to my LFS today and found out that they had these!! In fact, a tank full of 'em . . . it was the creepiest thing I ever saw, it was SO COOL!! These were black of course, but you could tell that they would glow under black light . . .they had that slight bluish/green tinge to them. $30 I was all there, but the wife had several unkind words that basically amounted to "NO!"

Oh well.

She's gotta go to work sometime. ;-)

$30??? Wow!! That is expensive for an emperor scorpion. I never paid anything over ten bucks for one adult and five bucks each for juveniles at reptile shops and expos. Look at reptile shops and sources online. You'll find them much cheaper. $30 dollars sounds like a rip off to me. Seriously.

Good luck getting around your wife...LOL. See with me...I'm the bitch here and it's always been the guys that have always gotten the willies with the critters I have a habit of bringing home...LOL. At least they're easy to hide...and don't make noise to give themselves away...heehee.

Yeah, when I saw that, it seemed to me that the highest I had seen on any of the websites was $15, but I looked all over town and this was the only place within 150 miles that had any, so I guess thats how they get away with it . . . they were absolutely beautiful though (in the creepy, icky sense of the word beautiful), and if I could have got away with it, I'da paid the $30.

I'm not all that into astrology, but I'm a scorpio (a cusp even!) and I've always wanted one. I've also been thinking about one real hard as a tattoo (Yes, thats right . . .served a full tour in the Marines and came out with NOT A SINGLE TATTOO!!).

The nasty little brown ones we used to find outside my grandmothers house in the mountains of Tennesssee just never did anything for me.

I'm scorpio too...LOL. October 23rd...so it's a cusp also (with Libra). I've always been into the little creepy critters that get peoples skin crawling, though I don't deal with roaches...eeekkk. I can't really say that too honestly though. While working for Petco, one of our shipments of crickets came in with these super transluscent red roaches I've never seen before. I kept them in a critter keeper and fed them veggies for a while...LOL. They were actually a very pretty color. Must have been some fancy tropical species. Our regular American roach though...I can't even get myself to kill one I get so creeped out, yet I use to play with those 17 year chicadas. Go figure!!

Cool . . . almost happy birthdays then . . .I'm the 24th . . .so lemme guess intelligent, opinionated, outspoken, wildly passionate and DAMN good lookin'!! lol

Oh yeah . . . .modest too ;-)

Don't remember too much about Southern Cal roaches as I only lived in the barracks in Tustin (back in the day when it was still open), and pets of any kind were unauthorized. Used to spend the weekends at my Aunts house down in San Marcos and she was a nurse and cleaned her house like a hospital . . . so roaches were unauthorized there too.

Don't see too many here in Michigan either, but I guess even the bugs aren't dumb enough to live in this climate, which leads me to wonder how I'll keep a cage hot enough for a scorpion.

(How come she can say bitch but I can't say da*n . . . .I haven't said "darn" since I was 10 . . . and I didn't even type that)

intelligent, opinionated, outspoken, wildly passionate and darn good lookin'!! lol

Oh yeah . . . .modest too

as well as mysterious, spiteful, very loyal, and able to bounce back from hard times...chameleon like mood swings and can see right through anyone's BS. LOL. And our almost happy birthdays are still 7 months away...LOL. Don't push it, I feel old enough...LOL. Only kidding. I love that time of year. I love the fall. I love the trees when they change to all sorts of colors. I grew up back in Jersey so I do know what having 4 seasons is like. Though I do not miss that bone bitter minus 45 degree wind chill.

I live in Vista, which is practically right next door to San Marcos. I use to work at a veterinary clinic in San Marcos. I don't really see roaches around here that much. Back in Jersey they were everywhere. You could have a house that you can eat off the floor and still have roaches. I remember even seeing a wild albino roach in some sleezy one room apartments complex. Roaches though in general are clean insects. Always grooming themselves too like cats.

You can use a reptile ceramic heater to keep the scorpion warm. Better than using lights to warm animals so you don't disturb anyone's night. A low watt. Depending on size of the cage...between 25 watts and 60 watts maybe. Scorpions are able to handle extreme environmental changes. They can survive extreme heat and extreme cold. This was shown on a discovery channel program years ago. They showed a scorpion being put into a freezer and became a block of ice. When thawed, he woke up and started life where he left off...LOL. They also exposed scorpions to very high temps. Well over 150 degrees and they were fine. They did get antsy to get out of the container, but fine none the less. They can even survive 200 times the amount of radiation that would kill a person. Pretty damn (betcha that says 'darn'...lol.) incredible. They are tough creatures, yet I had a Florida wood scorpion that died after discovering its leg was trapped between the water bowl and the side of the tank. I think she bled to death. The arm was torn near the body. Go figure. Here's an incredible critter that would be the only thing and it's kind left alive after a nuclear attack and it bleeds to death on me :s

Yeah, thats me to a T -- stand by you through thick and thin and give you the shirt off my back in the process . . .but cross me -- stand by for the coming of the apocalypse . . .lol

Jersey, huh . . . I grew up in NY right on the NY, NJ, PA border then moved to NC when I was about 10 and spent the next 25 years there. Given all preferences, I'd like to be back in NC weather wise. We lived in Raleigh most of that time except for a couple of years we spent in Wilmington (East Coast Hollywood) which was really great except for one year when Wilmington was hurricane ground zero for every hurricane we had that year. I enjoyed Southern Cal while I was there except for travelling on the highways which was as close to terror as I've ever experienced. Couldn't wait to get back to the east coast to get away from that . . .then I ended up stationed at Quatico right outside of Washington DC, so . . .so much for getting away from terrible traffic. Southern California has two seasons, you just have to be prepared to go through both of them every day . . . lol . . .but I'll have to say that Christmas dinner in shorts and a T-shirt on LaJolla beach was a new experience.

I've got one of those warming "pads" that goes under the sand in a critter cage . . .its only about half the size of the cage, but do you think it will be big enough to keep the cage warm enough? It was for a gecko that my kids used to have. It's a decent size tank, maybe 12x8x8. If not I'll look for a ceramic heater and go that way. I may be warming the wife up to the idea, as long as I can put it somewhere where she doesn't have to look at it all the time. I'm trying to make it more appealing to her . . . I'm selling it as a dry land version of a lobster with an attitude. I've almost got her I think. Another one of those scorpio traits I believe . . .we all should be car salesman . . .we can sell snow to eskimos. ;-)

. . .and yeah, it said darn alright . . . lol

Ewwww....

I grew up in Texas - I loathe scorpions.. been stung too many times.

Hurts like of son-of-a-gun.

I can't even imagine what one if these monsters would feel like.

Fluffy puppies and cute fishies for me!

Everyone I've talked to said the sting is about as nasty as a bee sting . . .not really bad unless you're allergic to bees . . .however, they are also not likely to sting, as they prefer their pincers more and will most likely grab you with those before ever trying to sting you.

These guys are supposed to be real tolerant of newbies . . .not that they WONT come after you, but they require more instigating than you would think.

Those heating pads are not meant to warm a cage. All they do is provide belly warmth to aid in digestion only. Though the ceramic heaters are a bit on the pricy side, they last for years...at least for me. I use them for my lizard. I have an Australian frilled dragon. For the size tank you mentioned...a 25 watt should be good enough. If you feel the scorpion would be somewhere where it is cooler than the rest of the house, then perhaps a 40 watt. I always try to make it so that the animal can make it's own choice if it needs to cool off or heat up, by having the heating units on the opposite side of the water and have the water deep enough for the scorpion to stand in it, but shallow enough to where it doesn't drown. They do get the bulk of their water through their food. Speaking of food, do not over feed a scorpion. It can make their sides split (yuk). An adult in warm temps can eat one or two crickets a week. A juvenile, perhaps one cricket more per week. In cooler temps, they will eat less due to inactivity from the cooler temps. Their metabolisms slow down.

People who are afraid or eerie about these kinds of animals...scorpions, spiders, snakes, etc. are so due to the lack of knowledge on these critters. Find a DVD on scorpions. Teach her. Let her know there is nothing to be afraid of. They are safe and though rather boring as a pet, they are very incredible animals with incredible abilities. Maybe you can find a pregnant scorpion and maybe you two will be lucky enough, as I was to witness such a birth. Raising the babies is a challenge even to the professional, but gives a sharing moment of the one thing us females are all too familiar with ;)

I remember my first Christmas out here. We were on the patio by the pool, swimming, BBQ-ing and on the phone with family back East laughing hysterically at our new experience of Christmas while they were shivering in their winter freeze. One winter here, a friend and his girlfriend went camping in Julian and they had snow up there at the time. They came back with the back of the truck loaded with snow and piled it in the front yard. We had ourselves an East coast style snowball fight!! It was great!!

Driving out here is suicide sometimes, but driving in Jersey can be just as bad or worse. You got tons of people back there in a smaller space. It's like taking half the population of California and sticking it in Rhoad Island...LOL. I drove 405 once into LA to see a relative that was out here on business. NEVER AGAIN!! if I can avoid it. That was the most stressing drive I ever made and that's when they were still doing all that construction to repair bridges and roads from the Northridge Earthquake. What a mess.

Good tip on the heaters . . .I remember seeing the ceramic heaters in the store when I was in there the other day, and I had seen somewhere else too that one or two crickets a week was sufficient for a scorpion. Yeah, I hear watching one give birth is quite an experience as it starts out kind of egg like and then slowly morphs into what eventually becomes a baby scorpion . . . thats cool no matter how ya feel about 'em.

Only once did I ride in a car from LA to San Marcos and I felt in fear for my life the whole trip. From then on I took the Amtrak from Irvine to Oceanside and had my aunt and uncle pick me up from there. My uncle has this nasty habit of playing "tour guide" so he tends to point at things and tell stories about them all the while looking at them instead of looking at the road, so the 20 or 30 minutes from Oceanside to SanMarcos was bad enough.

Really had a great time visiting there, just don't think I could live there. Did get to meet Clint Eastwood there once! Little restaurant called San Marcos Brewery and Pub or something to that effect. Wish I'd had a camera.

scorpions and things...

LOL...tour guide...When I first moved out here...and I mean the very first day here, minutes after landing, my then boyfriend's sister and her husband took us around all over San Diego and I just had a 'wonderful' flight...clear skies from coast to coast chewing on Excedrine because a molar had decided to fracture hours before take off. I was in such pain and they knew it too. Ticked me off. They even took us somewhere to eat and I was just biting my tongue and dealing with it. Finally, they got us to our new home and I was able to reach a dentist who had time that very day to yank out my tooth. What a nightmare.

Clint Eastwood...Wow!! The only 'famous' people I've met here so far is the band Anthrax when my then husband was playing in a band at a night club they were at getting ready to go on stage. Didn't get any autographs or photos. We just hung out for a while. I don't know if you're familiar with them, but it was after Joey Belladonna (singer) left the band. I did meet Metallica in 1986 :) in NYC after a show. That was cool. My mom works with a lady who is close with Eddie Van Halen. Her husband is or was partners with the guitar company (Kramer) Eddie Van Halen promoted. I don't think Kramer is in production anymore. Don't remember. I never met him, but I did get a special autographed photo from when this lady and her husband had dinner one night with Eddie Van Halen and his wife Valerie burtonelli (spell???). (y)

How's it going with convincing the wife???

I think I have the wife almost convinced. A little more nudging and I think I'll have my scorpion. I have a little unexpected trip down to North Carolina this weekend, but I think when I get back I should be able to very soon go get one. I'll probably get a heater and some sand and stuff and get everything set up so his new home is all ready first when he gets here, but the store has a bunch of them in stock so I don't think I'll have to worry about them running out in the mean time.

Wow . . .took you out to eat with a fractured tooth?? I can't imagine, but then at the time, I probably would have kept my mouth shut as military dentists are not known for being gentle.

I'm quite familiar with Anthrax, and who could be cooler to know that Eddie Van Halen??!! Clint Eastwood was the only famous person I met in California, but believe it or not I met more famous people while I was in Wilmington, NC. I was a mechanic for a while when we lived down there and we used to work on cars that they used in movies . . . our shop was just down the road from Screen Gems Studios in Wilmington. There was an old pickup truck that Kevin Costner drove in a movie called "For the love of the game". It was an old one we had behind the shop and I put that together for him. I also got to meet Robin Williams, Jodie Foster, Sandra Bullock and once spent an hour eating lunch with John Travolta. He's every bit the down to earth "people guy" that everyone says he is. I had told him that I was a helicopter mechanic in the Marines and he's a real aviation finatic so he took me to lunch to talk about it. Definately had some interesting times in Wilmington.

I've owned a emperor scorpion. They DO have a blue-ish green hue to them. But a useless pet nonetheless....save your money.

I'd be in big trouble if I got something like that as a pet! I want to get some small crabs for my fish tank (had them before when I was single) - But my wife thinks they're creepy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom