Ethical fishkeeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tend to take an overly cautious approach to many things. I make no excuses for it, and acknowledge that I sometimes go overboard.
But, from what reading I have done, cyanide collection does still occur. Perhaps not as much as it used to, but it's still a problem.
The devastation of reefs due to overfishing (both for food and the hobby) is also a serious concern. These ecosystems are extremely fragile, and it doesn't take much to upset the balance.
The removal of herbivores can result in algae overgrowing slow growth corals, and when clownfish are removed, the host anemone often vanishes shortly thereafter. Obviously there are examples for the other extreme as well. Mandarins being removed apparently has little to no impact on the area, and they are difficult to breed in large numbers.
There is no cut and dry or black and white answer to this question. But I personally will continue to lean towards one specific viewpoint. When captive bred is possible, I believe it is better.

This has been a fascinating thread to follow! Keeps getting more thought provoking, Ty

Back
Top Bottom