Euthanasia is not for convenience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I may not be the most experienced fish keeper, but I know that it is unethical to euthanize a fish for any reason than to relieve its suffering. You may disagree, but that IS the definition of euthanasia.

It is not to relieve the inconvenience of the fish keeper. When siblings don't get along, you don't destroy one.

Please, please, please find a humane way of resolving your problem.

This is a general plea, I have seen a lot of euthanasia for other than suffering posts and can't not say anything.

Do you also think it's unethical to use feeder fish?
I am not a fan of that if my understanding of feeder fish is accurate.

It seems, however, to be more in the natural order of things and seems to serve a purpose other than destruction for convenience.

Not to be mean, but aquariums are never natural anyway. And wild piranha do not hunt goldfish. There is nothin natural about oscars hunting goldfish either.

Well breeders and farms both euthanize a huge amount of fish. This actually happens in the pet industry in general with a lot of different types of animals. However with fish it's pretty easy since culling tends to just end up throwing small fish to bigger ones. It's done for several reasons, whether it's culling out sickly, diseased, unwanted traits, or just population control.

As far as ethics go, I think if a person cannot give adequate care to a fish, and they have no means to get it to a proper home, then euthanizing it is justified. There are humane and inhumane methods of euthanasia as well, although clove oil or blunt trauma seem to be the most commonly used.

Oh man, I was just about to put ketchup on my fish sandwich :(

Seriously, it doesn't sound like advice, sounds more like an opinion or a troll.

Not to be mean, but aquariums are never natural anyway. And wild piranha do not hunt goldfish. There is nothin natural about oscars hunting goldfish either.

I don't think you are being mean. Like I said, I am not the most experienced. I said it seems to be more in the natural order of things but I wasn't definitive about it.

Certainly there are carnivorous and omnivorous fish so I think that is the distinction I see as opposed to what is naturally hunted in the wild.

That is why I could only answer I am not a fan based on my understanding of the purpose of feeder fish.

I don't like euthanizing fish unless absolutely necessary, but sometimes situations arise where it's the lesser of two evils.

Release a non-native fish into the wild, or humanely kill and dispose of it? As much as I like the thought of said fish possibly living out its days in happiness in nearly unlimited space, I'd have to choose the latter because I'm a responsible fishkeeper.

Oh man, I was just about to put ketchup on my fish sandwich :(

Seriously, it doesn't sound like advice, sounds more like an opinion or a troll.

I am not a troll. I suppose it is an opinion and I am reading the forum rules incorrectly. At the same time, it could fall under the category of advice if it clarifies the plain meaning of the word "euthanasia," and my advice would then be use better nomenclature for the intent behind the act.

It is okay with me if you disagree or want to make fun. Maybe you are advising me and others that your definition of my "advice" means calling it the words of a troll.

I don't like euthanizing fish unless absolutely necessary, but sometimes situations arise where it's the lesser of two evils.

Release a non-native fish into the wild, or humanely kill and dispose of it? As much as I like the thought of said fish possibly living out its days in happiness in nearly unlimited space, I'd have to choose the latter because I'm a responsible fishkeeper.

Are there other alternatives beside releasing a non-native fish into the wild which is not something I would do or advocate?

I may not be the most experienced fish keeper, but I know that it is unethical to euthanize a fish for any reason than to relieve its suffering. You may disagree, but that IS the definition of euthanasia.

It is not to relieve the inconvenience of the fish keeper. When siblings don't get along, you don't destroy one.

Please, please, please find a humane way of resolving your problem.

This is a general plea, I have seen a lot of euthanasia for other than suffering posts and can't not say anything.

And I know this comes after a user posted to kill a Molly (?) because it's aggressive towards other fish and during feedings. I understand where you're coming from and was not happy seeing that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

And I know this comes after a user posted to kill a Molly (?) because it's aggressive towards other fish and during feedings. I understand where you're coming from and was not happy seeing that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Thanks. I just want to be clear that it isn't that one specific post which, unfortunately, Was bad timing on my part. I am sorry to that person. I can see how it looks that way, but I was not meaning to single anyone out.

I don't know of anyone in this forum dumping fish into a waterway, river or lake, I have not read once here in Aquarium Advice of such occurrence and it is definitely not encouraged.

I've heard some not so good stories about lion fish now being a problem in US waters due to being released.

Pleco's I guess get released a lot too (based on some reading I've done) because they get too big and people don't know what to do with them. And/or they start attacking other fish in the tank... Before they die miserable deaths if they are in a cold climate, they cause a lot of problems in the local ecosystem where they are released too.

If people can't rehome or learn about the fish they are getting, why get fish? I know things happen, but, ugh. Just frustrates me. Euthanizing them in as a kind manner as possible should be done if rehoming is not possible. Fish should never be released!

I've heard some not so good stories about lion fish now being a problem in US waters due to being released.

Pleco's I guess get released a lot too (based on some reading I've done) because they get too big and people don't know what to do with them. And/or they start attacking other fish in the tank... Before they die miserable deaths if they are in a cold climate, they cause a lot of problems in the local ecosystem where they are released too.

If people can't rehome or learn about the fish they are getting, why get fish? I know things happen, but, ugh. Just frustrates me. Euthanizing them in as a kind manner as possible should be done if rehoming is not possible. Fish should never be released!

Agree. Have you ever been in a lake or waterway in south Florida? You wouldn't believe what I've seen there.

Back
Top Bottom