Ever wanna slap your lfs people in the back of the head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I sure do at times!!
Was in there the other day, (I ended up getting a purple/magenta pseudochromis (y)) and as I was checking out the selection I overheard an elderly couple talking about their new tank. I commented about never having enough fish and she very excitedly wanted to show me their newest acquisition, a 4" Dragon Wrasse, she calls it "Lashes". (not her actual fish, but another in the store)
She said they just got it the previous week and it swims all around her 29 gallon tank !!!!!:eek:
:banghead:

Poor lady, I just didn't have the heart to tell her that it would completely destroy any attempt at decorating the tank, kill her other fish and that they grow to almost 18". I'm sure she will be bringing it back within the month.

So who agrees with me that whomever sold that nice lady a Dragon Wrasse for a 29 gal should be soundly and severely slapped upside the back of his fool head??!!
:cool:

I agree! I've found with my chosen lfs.. the staff knows as much as you as ask of them (they're extremely knowledgable) if you ask them enough questions you'll get all the solid information you need, if you ask them nothing they'll sell you whatever you want for any tank setting imaginable. . Hence my first trip there leaving with a pair of electruc blue rams (impossible fish) for a uncycled 10 gal tank.. we know how that ended..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh I have plenty of horror stories from my LFS.
A while back I went and brought a water sample from my aquarium for them to test. I wanted to see just how reliable they were. I then proceeded to say that a fish had died, out of unknown causes. Now I had tested my water with my Red Sea test kits before I left, knowing that all parameters were in check. The LFS obviously used API. He tests the water and tells me "Your nitrates are at 40pmm so we can't honor the guarantee." I looked at him and asked "Can I see the test?" He says " I dumped it out". I told it to test it again, and show me the results. He tests it and brings the tube over, and to everyone's Surprise, it read 0.
Never went back to that LFS...

They definitely deserve a slap. I went into one of the fish stores in my town, who I don't get fish from, just plants. Myself and their so called 'Fish Expert' don't see eye to eye. Anyway, I brought an empty test tube with me. When no one was looking I fill the tube with water from one of their tanks. I got him to test the water in the tube, obviously he thought it was my water. He told me that the results where "off the charts" and that "I shouldn't be keeping fish in those horrible conditions". I asked him what I needed to do and he said proceeded to gather up all kinds of water treatments. He then told me that it would be a "good idea" to add a further 5 fish(mollies) to help cycle my tank. I waited until there was a few people at the counter and then told him that it was his water he had just tested. Needless to say he was speechless and not very happy. I don't think I'm too welcome in his store anymore...lol.
Now if I need plants, I just ring ahead and check if he is working that day!!!

They definitely deserve a slap. I went into one of the fish stores in my town, who I don't get fish from, just plants. Myself and their so called 'Fish Expert' don't see eye to eye. Anyway, I brought an empty test tube with me. When no one was looking I fill the tube with water from one of their tanks. I got him to test the water in the tube, obviously he thought it was my water. He told me that the results where "off the charts" and that "I shouldn't be keeping fish in those horrible conditions". I asked him what I needed to do and he said proceeded to gather up all kinds of water treatments. He then told me that it would be a "good idea" to add a further 5 fish(mollies) to help cycle my tank. I waited until there was a few people at the counter and then told him that it was his water he had just tested. Needless to say he was speechless and not very happy. I don't think I'm too welcome in his store anymore...lol.

Scandalous! ! But awesome! ! Well done sir..

Scandalous! ! But awesome! ! Well done sir..

I must admit, I did have a big smile on my face leaving the store that day. You know the old saying Brookster, "The customer is always right".......

I must admit, I did have a big smile on my face leaving the store that day. You know the old saying Brookster, "The customer is always right".......

They had it coming.. all that slick talk and product pushing.. crap all useless, they should strive to make their money from good stock, i don't mind paying higher.prices for my feeesh if they look great..the chemicals on the shelf at my place are all 10 years old and dustyyyy

Well played!!

Luckily my LFS guys know me, at least the long term employees and the owner do. They don't give me any static about my purchases, always ask me if I have any fry ready to bring in, let me bag my own livestock, and will actually send customers over to me with questions. It's only when they have new employees that I have to break out the brains on them.

Like today.

We were in there looking for DW to do my Congo biotope and pick up a few new fish if they had anything that caught my eye. We've been looking for a male Gold ram since I lost one of my male GBRs last week (his female beat his tail). So I saw one tank of golds but they were all tiny juvies and kept walking, viewing other potential take-homes, when my hubby comes into the room with the owner and a new employee talking about golds. I tell hubby that I saw a tank full of small juvies that would get thrashed in our tank and turn back around to look at the brackish fish when the new guy taps me on the shoulder. So first of all, I don't like being touched by those I don't know. The owner and older employees get hugs because I've known them for years, but dude, no touch mmmmkay. he points to some long finned golds and starts telling me about them being just the same as regular golds but with longer finnage. The owner stops him in his speech and says "that lady probably knows more about rams, their care and breeding than you would know in a lifetime considering she is who supplies us with our blues."

Kid turned bright red and walked away.

No one touches our ram breeder;) the kid who set me up early on (sold me pair of Gardneri Killis that ate my community tanks tails, including my beloved apistos) seemed like a fountain of knowledge at the time, now I go in and say hey man and keep on walking, "oh can I help you with anything?nope.. you've done quite enough already.." they still won't let me bag my own fish but im getting there.. i got self serve dw a few weeks ago!

Luckily my LFS guys know me, at least the long term employees and the owner do. They don't give me any static about my purchases, always ask me if I have any fry ready to bring in, let me bag my own livestock, and will actually send customers over to me with questions. It's only when they have new employees that I have to break out the brains on them.

Like today.

We were in there looking for DW to do my Congo biotope and pick up a few new fish if they had anything that caught my eye. We've been looking for a male Gold ram since I lost one of my male GBRs last week (his female beat his tail). So I saw one tank of golds but they were all tiny juvies and kept walking, viewing other potential take-homes, when my hubby comes into the room with the owner and a new employee talking about golds. I tell hubby that I saw a tank full of small juvies that would get thrashed in our tank and turn back around to look at the brackish fish when the new guy taps me on the shoulder. So first of all, I don't like being touched by those I don't know. The owner and older employees get hugs because I've known them for years, but dude, no touch mmmmkay. he points to some long finned golds and starts telling me about them being just the same as regular golds but with longer finnage. The owner stops him in his speech and says "that lady probably knows more about rams, their care and breeding than you would know in a lifetime considering she is who supplies us with our blues."

Great story. Poor kid, he was probably just trying to impress his boss. I'm sure he'll be picking your brains from now on and trying to get into the 'hug club'...lol

Like today.

That story was absolutely amazing..
Well done Dragonfish, Well done.

Oh I love this thread and there are only twelve posts! More more more!
I went in my LFS and the new hire was in. Keep in mind, I'm a girl and under the driving limit. :) So this guy walks up and is all "how can I help you sweetie?" First, no. Second, no. Third, no. I go "Well, I was looking for some nicely bred guppies to trade for the bag of black moscows I brought." He says " Oh over here." And points to the box store variety tank. I'm bringing you very nice black moscows and you're thinking I will take some mass produced "Sunsent Yellow Delta Tail guppy Fish" in return? I told him no and he goes whining to the manager. The manager comes back, compliments my fish and apologizes for the employee. Score! Not as good as the other stories though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I want to change pace with a little bit of a happy story, one I've been dying to share. I don't know the LFS. I wasn't there, I only heard the family whining about it at Walmart. Somewhere in northern Maine is all I know.

Some LFS employee, somewhere out there, refused to sell a common pleco to some idiots with goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I want to slap that LFS guy on the front of the hand.:wave: (imagine that's a high five)

I want to change pace with a little bit of a happy story, one I've been dying to share. I don't know the LFS. I wasn't there, I only heard the family whining about it at Walmart. Somewhere in northern Maine is all I know.

Some LFS employee, somewhere out there, refused to sell a common pleco to some idiots with goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I want to slap that LFS guy on the front of the hand.:wave: (imagine that's a high five)

That makes me happy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm glad some people do it right where they work.

I was just at a big box store and this poor guy bought a Betta and a ten gal. He wanted a heater and they were trying to convince him that he needed all these different water purifiers and java moss balls and more fish I was like just no. I tried to talk to him but no luck. Then I told an employee about my tank and they go "oh well African cichlids are great community fish" and "a goldfish or two would do great with a few oscars and your fish". I had told her that I had guppies, cories, tetras and rams. I told her African cichlids are not appropriate for a community tank and goldfish are cold water. She told me I was nuts and should listen to her as she knew what she was doing! I did get in a plug for AA with a family trying to get oscars for a twenty.

I was just at a big box store and this poor guy bought a Betta and a ten gal. He wanted a heater and they were trying to convince him that he needed all these different water purifiers and java moss balls and more fish I was like just no. I tried to talk to him but no luck. Then I told an employee about my tank and they go "oh well African cichlids are great community fish" and "a goldfish or two would do great with a few oscars and your fish". I had told her that I had guppies, cories, tetras and rams. I told her African cichlids are not appropriate for a community tank and goldfish are cold water. She told me I was nuts and should listen to her as she knew what she was doing! I did get in a plug for AA with a family trying to get oscars for a twenty.

People like that make me absolutely livid. The callousness of those who make animals suffer for their profits? Its despicable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

People like that make me absolutely livid. The callousness of those who make animals suffer for their profits? Its despicable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I agree. It's awful. It might surprise some people that some people actually care a lot about their fish. It might surprise some people that some people love and get attached to their fish.

And sometimes that urge spreads elsewhere when someone keeps commending their LFS associates no matter how many responses or folks agree that the LFS is spreading plainly wrong info. You can lead a horse to water.........

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom