Evolution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got this in the email a couple of days ago. Anyone want to weigh in with an opinion?

Dear friend,

On January 13, a federal judge in Georgia ordered that
stickers that had been placed in textbooks stating,
"Evolution is a theory, not fact," be removed. In fact,
he said such criticisms of evolution are an endorsement
of religion and a violation of separation of church
and state!

This ruling is outrageous, and suggests that evolution
is to be taught as fact and, therefore, the only option
to our children!

I staunchly oppose this edict and am urging you to do
the same by signing the "Our Kids Deserve The Truth"
petition by clicking below:

http://www.cfra.info/163/petition.asp?PID=7994682&NID=1

Through this effort, we want to call national attention
to this debate by rallying at least 100,000 citizens who
oppose this outrageous ruling, and who insist that
evolution be taught as a theory, not as a fact!

Our kids deserve the truth about evolution!

Thanks for taking immediate action with me.

I don't understand the big deal here. ofcourse I don't have children but, If I did I would say I have the choice of sending my child to a private school, as I did, and I would also have the choice of sending them to a puplic school.

If you want your children to learn about god, private school.

If not, Puplic school.

simple choice really!

it seems now and days that people are more wooried about someone elses kid, and what there learning when they should worrie about there own family and mind ther own biz.

:mrgreen:

My problem is, they are teaching evolution as fact with no proof. They have plenty of theories but the only documentation is from a bunch of "lab technicians" that now admit their theory is flawed. 8O

edited by reefrunner69
If you want this discussion to continue, mind your p's and q's, there are many people here that could be offended by any slurs against their profession, it will not be tolerated. Feel free to dicuss this and state your opinion, but be mindful it is your opinion and respect others that may have a differing opinion.

I hate it when we get bible lessons in school. Face it, if we answered a state test with " The earth 560000 years + was flooded by jesus all except for noah and the animals in pairs, and thats why the dinosaurs died " then youd get it wrong. So why try. If you want to learn theology, go to a church.

Rach101 said:
I hate it when we get bible lessons in school. Face it, if we answered a state test with " The earth 560000 years + was flooded by jesus all except for noah and the animals in pairs, and thats why the dinosaurs died " then youd get it wrong. So why try. If you want to learn theology, go to a church.

Just to clarify, the Bible does not mention that dinosaurs were present at the time of the flood.

Evolution is a theory, and relatively speaking, a not very well supported one. This is why it's a theory and not a fact. Much like the Big Bang theory. My belief in creationism is just that, a belief. I have no more proof than an evolutionist or a Big Bang Theorist, I just know it to be true, hence it's a belief.

Let's not make this thread a heated debate about who's right and wrong, it'll probably get locked anyway.

-.-; i know that. I was just saying though, I don't mean to offend people by this.. But there is asmuch physical proof of god, then there is of the big bang. So we have the bible, well what if a group of guys decided to get together and write some kind of crazy fairytale.. Someone finds it. thinks its real, and bam! new religion.
Im not saying there is no god, but im not saying there is one. But the point is, if you try to look at the bible for answers for classwork/tests/ect. Your not gonna do so well in class

Ill blow everyones minds with this comment.

Some local school boards met with parents recently to decide if they wished to continue the bible criculium. I dont know the full extents but I belive the jist was that there is 'free time' in the day or week that is degisntated for elective type subjects and one of those deals with relegon. Local school boards that recently stopped supporting/offering this program was meet with great distress from parents and the end result was bringing the program back.

Taking god out of the plege and not permitting student athletes to pray before games is ludicrist. If your that anti relgion or anti catholisium (i belive thats teh correct term for relegons who belive in one god) then maybe those parents should send their kids to private school.

Personally i agree that it isn't 100% factual because no one was there when it happened. I also feel that biblical teachings are extremely wrong as well. The evolutionary process HAS been proven many times. I would rather see them teaching the evolutionary theory as just that; it is a highly probable theory that in 90% reality is absolutely true. I will never send any kids of mine (none yet) to a school that teaches the biblical way. I am afraid i will tell the teachers where to go and why it is incorrect.

Your not gonna do so well in class

I must disagree on this. True anwsers to most scoal and physical science questions wont be found in 'the good book' but there are many life lessons to be learned that when applied to not only school work and school itself but life one can truly find an 'inter peace' to cope with stressful situations. To a true beliver when faced with something/someone they feel is insurmountable one can find inter peace by looking to their chosen relgion. Once they have found this peace often their minds clear and one is able to tackle projects or issues they would otherwise not been able to.

Honestly I feel relegon of all types is more of a socal construct to help explain the unexplainable or establish groups that one can develop a sense of being and purpose.

8O !!!!!!!!!!! But America is a huge melting pot. Now im not saying you should take god out of the pledge or not allow students to pray to god, But i dont feel that other students should have to go to a private schoolneither. We dont teach their beliefs we wont teach ours. I wouldnt mind the idea of making it an elective or anything. my school allows children to pray, and allows us, if we choose not to say the pledge, it allows us time to pray before eating, But it dosnt force us to. just as it allows the hebrew children to pray in their way. Public school should be for all children, of all races and all religions.

I am a Pastor, and I respect your comments. I can also sum most of your comments up with this........ :roll:

I hope I have said enough, cause that's all I will say.

Have a good one.... :wink:

What grade are you in Rach101?

PS. I encourage people not to base there answers on the experience of others when it come to religon. Go try it for yourself, then make a descision. :D

Public school should be for all children, of all races and all religions.

In a perfect world yes. Unfortunatly that would cause more riots in school than you see now. you would have your religiuos gangs, anti christ gangs, so forth and so on. not a good idea in my book.

Im in eigth grade. And there are alot of kids with different religions.. No one really cares, I mean if people get in a fight its usually two girls fighting over a boyfriend or two boys fighting cause one called the other a punk. Most kids are wrapped up in being a " gangsta"!? or a " goth " that now one really even thinks about religion. Now once in awhile youll hear skirt-head or something like that but that stops pretty quick.

Hmm...I'm not going to comment on the school situation because I realize that it has the potential to get heated. I wouldn't want to supress anyone's right to practice the religion of their choice. I also don't think any religion should be forced on anyone. But, I do have one opinion concerning the education of our children. No matter what religion you believe in, if you can find a better guide for life than the book of Proverbs, I'd like to know what it is so I can read it. If you've never read this book, I'd encourage you to check it out. Teaching kids to live this way would be to their benefit. JMHO.

ReefRaff said:
Public school should be for all children, of all races and all religions.

In a perfect world yes. Unfortunatly that would cause more riots in school than you see now. you would have your religiuos gangs, anti christ gangs, so forth and so on. not a good idea in my book.

I'm curious, what kind of school IS NOT as Rach101 mentioned? I have a public school education and a state college degree. Guess who was there? Students from all races and all religions. Not to mention differing sexual orientation, political beliefs and financial backgrounds. Guess who cared? None of the kids. Just like Rach said, kids are too busy with who's dating who, and how the football team is doing to really care at all about what religion someone is. This is my first hand experience, not conjecture. A childhood with exposure to multiple philosophies, I believe, has given me a much stronger grasp of reality and understanding how to respect others than had I been secluded in a single "mind-set" upbringing (this is my experience and so is my opinion. I know there are others with different upbringing who have differing opinions. And I'm not suggesting that a public education is the only way to have an open mind or respect for others.)

Teaching evolution is science. Teaching religion is philosphy. (neither is 100% provable fact beyond a doubt) And I highly doubt there is a science teacher who is instructed to teach evolution as 100% fact. Nor would anyone be reprimanded to stress that it is a theory. They would (and should IMO) be reprimanded to suggest a religious theory of origin (as the linked article suggests) in a science class (it's a science class, not a philosophy class). I remember it being tought as "The theory of evolution" just as it was "the theory of relativity". So I will NOT be signing the petition linked to and I encourage others not to. :D

And for an 8th grader, Rach101, I think you already have a pretty good understanding of the diversity of this world. And I suspect you also realise the benifit such diversity brings. Do you attend a public school?

The proble is that public school is for all cultures, religions and peoples. How can the schools teach all the different versions of creationism without leaving some religions differing views out? Seperation of church and state is a good thing, and I do not want any teacher teaching my kid religion. Their beliefs may not be the same as mine, they will color their teachings with their beliefs (as would anyone) etc...It can easily go to far in the other direction, but I think this is probably a good thing. Not teaching it as fact, but only teaching the theory of evolution. Not to offend anyone, but for the christians out there, what if it was a fundamentalist muslims job to teach the creationism portion of the cirriculum? Or vice versa, you see where I'm going with this.

Ok, looks like I really stired the pot this time :roll: , how many people have gone to the link and signed the petition?

yeah i go to public school. I had a teacher once that tried to give us a bible lesson in class. She ended the class by telling us homosexuals/ sinners/ etc. are going to burn in the eternal flames of hell if the dont go to god and beg for redemption. Myfriend who is gay was so shaken that he went home. Thats just something we dont need. No offense but for some people religion can be an uplifting thing and for others it can be depressing.
But kids really dont think of religion, and dont really make fun of kids cause they really cant help what religion we are.. I mean we can but most likely if your parents are christian you are going to be christian. I think that religion is somthing your moreso born into. It can change ofcourse, but most of the time it wasnt. My mom wasnt particularly religious, and neither am I. Not that i dont read the bible, but i read everything else to, things involving christianity, paganism, buddhism, and a wide array of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom