Experience ordering fish online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
The only LFS in my town is petsmart, and just observing their fish I always notice ich present. Every single time I bring home a fish from there my tank has become infected. I was wondering, is online live delivery a better option? I'm looking to order a single male dwarf gourami for my 10-gallon that's almost finished cycling.

That are several that have an excellent reputation. Wet Spot Tropical Fish is one. The shipping will make a one fish purchase pretty expensive. I've also had some bad luck with disease from some of the LFS.

Always assume every fish you buy has ich or the like. The use of a quarantine tank will save you hundreds over the years in livestock. You can buy an extra 10 gallon tank, small heater, and keep an extra small filter on your display tank. When you anticipate a new purchase set up the 10 gallon and put the extra filter on it. The filter is already cycled so no worries there. You can observe the new stock for a minimum of 2 weeks or you can also treat proactively. I treat every fish I get with Seachem Paragard. I haven't had an ich outbreak in a long time. That would be money better spent than paying extra for online shipping and taking the chance of stock dying on the way.

I think purchasing an extra 10-gallon is out of the question, what do you think about something even smaller, such as a 2-gallon for a quarantine? I live in an apartment and have to manage my space carefully [emoji16] keeping 2 10-gallons would be crazy here.

What's an example of an extra small filter btw? My main tank is a 10-gallon and is pretty full of plants, decorations, and a lid carefully cut for the current filter, heater, and air line. I'm trying to think of a good cost-efficient space-managing-efficient maneuver to quarantine a fish in a quickly cycled small tank. Is this even a possibility? Lol. Thanks for the advice

Add some extra bio media to your current filter so beneficial bacteria can colonize it.

We have a fluval spec iii to breed ramshorns, and I've been really happy with it. I got it at Petco for $55 (pull up the item page online and show it to the clerk when you checkout), and all it needs is a heater. I think the heater we have cost $7.

Honestly, I think any fish that would stock well in a 10 gallon could be quarantined in a 3 gallon.

Add some extra bio media to your current filter so beneficial bacteria can colonize it.

We have a fluval spec iii to breed ramshorns, and I've been really happy with it. I got it at Petco for $55 (pull up the item page online and show it to the clerk when you checkout), and all it needs is a heater. I think the heater we have cost $7.

Honestly, I think any fish that would stock well in a 10 gallon could be quarantined in a 3 gallon.

I like your idea, think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice! :)

Petsmart has a 5.5G kit with LED light and a real decent HOB filter for $29.99. I use one for QT. Added a 50W heater of course.

You could do smaller than 10 gallon. I think Petco has 2.5 and 5.5 bare tanks. I quarantine in a 5.5 for smaller fish. I would just do one at a time though maybe a small school of smaller fish would be ok in a 5.5. You may be able to find a combo with a heater, tiny filter, and the tank for cheaper you just need to compare prices vs buying stuff individually. Like stated above the bio media idea will work too if you don't have the room for the extra filter on your display.

Back
Top Bottom