Feeling crappy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've only been in college for about a few weeks and it seems to be going bad. The week before i entered college i got sick by food poisoning from a Hardees on the way back home. Because of that i missed about 2 days of school. Then just a few days ago i got sick because i ate a hamburger from burger king and started throwing up all day and ended up going to the hospital. Both times i ended up in the hospital. I had to miss some days again too. I can't miss anymore! I need to keep going. I was able to make up most of the stuff i missed so thats good, but i need to keep going. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not get sick by throwing up alot(food wise i mean)? It sounds dumb but that's what ususally makes me end up not going to class.

Right, anything that you like to eat at home that's both good and good for you?

Eat lots of fruit and veggies. Some of my favorites are hummus & pitas with cucumber, tomatoes and feta. I also love spinach & chick peas. Couscous and Quinoa are both easy to make and yummy. Hot cereal. Yogurt. Fruit smoothies. Drink lots of water and avoid greasy/spicy foods. Stop drinking soda. Try drinking green tea or white tea. Avoid anything with partially hydrogenated oil. Avoid fast food. Eat lots of little meals throughout the day. Snack on easy fruits and veggies like carrots, apples, bananas. Also exercise regularly....this will help your body function at higher levels and aid digestion.

Ginger tea is good for nausea relief, greasy foods often trigger vomiting. Eating at fast food places is a number one way to get food poisoning.

If you do have to eat out.....try some Indian or Thai restaurants as opposed to burger joints.

and take it from someone who has had rocky mountain spotted fever, there are two ways to swallow anti nausea medicine if it gets taht bad. 8O

Oh ok. I like carrots and bananas, apples, and oranges so that's good. Would iced tea be ok too or not?

Iced tea is better if you make it yourself. Most of the premaid ones on the market are loaded with sugar. Though I must admit I loves me some snapple.

Just curious, do you have a meal plan through your college? It sounds like your having to "fend for yourself".... I hope you feel better!

some great "easy" foods that haven't been mentioned....and some additions to those that have....

Almonds (great for you; yummy snack)
Mix granola in with your yogurt...adds crunch!
Quaker instant oatmeal is super easy (I cook mine in microwave) and it's good for you
Mix carbonated water with your favorite juice (orange, cranberry, etc.)
One of my favorites....buy a pack of portabella mushroom caps....put em in a frying pan with a little olive oil...cook on high heat approx. 5 minutes each side or until browned...YUM (these guys are filling)...you can top with tomato/cheese slices and fresh spinach leaves for that "burger" feel

don't feel bad! This whole last week, I only went to one days worth of classes because ive been so sick

Avoid anything greasy, try to eat bready things (whole wheat would be even better), and make sure to get enough vitamins. Also, drink plenty of water! If you are getting to a point you are throwing up, you are losing tons of water and you could get sick from dehydration.

Yeah, that's what i ended up with at the hopital, They told me i was really dehydrated. Thanks smallfry, what do you mean meal plan? Like food at my college? I avoid thier food at all costs. Evereything there is so greay like cheease fries and stuff. I try to eat subway whenever possible, That doesn't make me sick and it does taste good. I should try the yogurt thign with granola. It sounds good :). Thanks lyquidphyre. Why were you sick? What was wrong?

Joey17 said:
Thanks lyquidphyre. Why were you sick? What was wrong?

Not sure.. ive just had a horrible cough and have felt crummy all week. It's like, if I wasn't doing much I wouldn't feel so bad. But it was when I was out and about, being active, that it got worse and really.. just blah.

I don't blame you about not wanting to eat college food. However, if you are on campus there might be a general store that sells decent food. In the Union at my college they sell subs, wraps, salads, smoothies, sandwhiches...

Some virus is going around. My brother had it, James has it (has had it for over a week now), and several of our clients come in with it. Uck. Be careful not to come in contact with sick people.

wash your hands whenever you can or carry that gel stuff that kills germs. this is good *especially* if you are living on campus. I remember my first year (omg! I can't believe it has been three years since I started!!!), and I got something nasty from the food on campus coupled with the change in lifestyle. Just make sure you eat healthy, drink water and orange juice, eat a good breakfast (I like Life cereal) every day if you can. A lot of the advice that has been given is stuff I ignored and I'm sure I've suffered from neglecting myself.

Something else to do, get out and exercise. The weather is probably going to stay nice for a little while longer (depending on where you are) and getting outside is the best thing you can do, imo. It gets you away from large quantities of germs and allows you to breathe clean air and get nasty germs out of your lungs. Plus, exercising will help you overall (prevent the freshman 15, for some people it is more like 20-30). You don't need to go run three miles, but just walking can be good for you. HTH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom