Fish and supplies that are overrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
In your opinion/experience what fish and supplies (light fixtures,filters,chemicals,food, etc..) are overrated and not as good as people say they are?

Ill start. Fish- the oscar. Every store i go to they say oscars are extremely aggressive and will kill anything in the tank. No they dont they will eat anything small enought. On rare incidents they can be very aggressive.

whats up? i know that convicts are over rated they are dirty as goldfish if you ask meand reproduce like guppies they are gross

Rummynose Tetras. They're pretty cool but unlike everything I read on the internet, they actually do nip. And really, they don't have much individual personality.

Jack Dempsey....the EBJD are beautiful but only live long enough to break your heart and die. The standard JD can become big o skittish sissies.

I would have to say mollies or platies. Both are colorful fish but they can be real mean.

Plecostomus (most all ones sold at almost all pet stores, common and similar) as algae eaters and good community/pet fish. Only fairly good algae eaters for a little while and get gi-normous/too big for the average persons/fish keepers tank.

Every platy I've seen has been aggressive to dwarf gouramis. I really like gouramis so that's why I think platies are mean. Mollies get large and I had one terrorize my bala shark .

I would have to say mollies or platies. Both are colorful fish but they can be real mean.

I agree totally, we had platies and they were mean to each other and some of my other fish it got to the point i re homed them as i couldn't watch them chasing and nipping my other fish all the time.

Seachem plant products. First of all excel for the price of a 500ml bottle at my lfs I just bought a gallon of gluteraldehyde add a gallon of distilled water and you have 2 gallons of excel. Just keep it away from all light. Then there's the flourish comp, trace, iron etc. you would be better off just dosing Pps-pro method. I will admit I do like there prime though.

I have a molly that is pretty aggressive when it comes to feeding time. She will run off other fish if they get near her. And she is huge, I haven't seen a molly get this big before. So in my opinion mollies can be aggressive, I have one to prove it.

I also think neon dwarf rainbows are overrated. They are really nasty. They bothered all my community fish and are pigs when it comes to food.

I also think neon dwarf rainbows are overrated. They are really nasty. They bothered all my community fish and are pigs when it comes to food.

I just saw those at the lfs today and ask the guy about them and he said, they are really bad fin nippers, not very nice! LOL pretty though.

stores underrate DIY co2 by a ton, and overrate aquarium additives like tap water and test kits.

usually i steer clear of testers, but when i added DIY co2 i gave in and purchased a small device that sat on the inside of the tank with liquid in it, to tell me the level of co2. after a mere 3 months the suction cups didn't work anymore, and that was made by a high-ranked company.

thankfully i have a snail infestation atm, so when there's 15 snails heading up the glass towards the surface i know that i have to ease the co2 level a bit.

Back
Top Bottom