Fish ban in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chantal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While at the LFS today I overheard an employee talking to a customer about Canada instilling a fish ban.

So of course, I stopped him to ask about this. He doesn't know when it would happen for sure but apparently within the next year. Has anyone else heard about this?

So far they've heard it will only be specific fish - he mentioned guppies, platys, mollies, discus, danios..

Great idea.

Great idea.

I think too many people get these poor little critters without the slightest idea on how to care for them. And even a bit more than the slighest idea is not enough.

Nor do I like the idea of people getting fish just so when they've been drinking on Friday night with their friends they can have a little show by feeding them to their Oscar.

Definitely a bigtime proponent of at least, at minimum, having to pass some sort of test/take a class to be a fish owner.

Fish is a delicate pet that needs a responsible, intelligent person tending them.

ae123

It would probably be a ban or regulation on shipping and transporting them and not on the ownership itself.

It would probably be a ban or regulation on shipping and transporting them and not on the ownership itself.

What was said is they won`t be sold anymore.. But if people already have them - prior to the ban, then they`ll be fine. If noone else has heard of it maybe it`s nothing. Crossing my fingers!! I could understand tank busters being banned but come on.. guppies! Everyone has their reasons.. Time will tell.

Definitely a bigtime proponent of at least, at minimum, having to pass some sort of test/take a class to be a fish owner.

Fish is a delicate pet that needs a responsible, intelligent person tending them.

ae123

So are humans.. There`s no class or test for procreation. Just a point to ponder.

Besides, I sure as heck don`t want money for infrastructure, healthcare, etc. going to someone having to monitor test results for keeping aquatic pets.. Quite the waste of time and money.

Tank busters would make sense because goodness knows we`ve all heard of someone who bought an O (for example), it got too big or got boring and they released it into the wild.. Or better example yet is the snakehead.

The government hardly cares if someone buys a $5 fish and it dies.. Logic says it would have to be for a greater purpose than morals.

They were saying the same thing about Hawaii too a few months back, and how it would make reefkeeping products and livestock really expensive and almost impossible for people in hawaii.

ae123 said:
Great idea.

I think too many people get these poor little critters without the slightest idea on how to care for them. And even a bit more than the slighest idea is not enough.

Nor do I like the idea of people getting fish just so when they've been drinking on Friday night with their friends they can have a little show by feeding them to their Oscar.

ae123

Getting a little carried away, IMO!! Guess you could say the same thing about any pet owner that abuses their pet. Maybe the pet stores need to educate their staff more versus hiring the first person who'll take the job!!
I live in Alberta and have never heard of any such ban!

ae123 said:
Great idea.

ae123

How is it different from feeding oscars feeding fish? Some people use guppies for feeders. If someone was to feed their fish live food, they should should have a stock at home. I can't see someone going out and buying one at a time.

So it's just a fish. K.

I dun lika c other tings suffer so much. But I can get used t it.

Maybe a fish employee havta hen out a pamphlit or somethin to send fish home wiffa new owner.

Lot more captiv fish die den most pets i tink? O well.

I think govts do wonderful, if its not a law and should be it will be soon. As a generality.

ae123

If you can't spell you shouldn't own fish in the first place. You wouldn't pass the test you suggested earlier!

How is it different from feeding oscars feeding fish? Some people use guppies for feeders. If someone was to feed their fish live food, they should should have a stock at home. I can't see someone going out and buying one at a time.

It's not. If they're doing it for the health of their fish, OK, feed the Oscar what he needs.

Getting a little carried away, IMO!! Guess you could say the same thing about any pet owner that abuses their pet. Maybe the pet stores need to educate their staff more versus hiring the first person who'll take the job!!
I live in Alberta and have never heard of any such ban!

Maybe everything is OK, know? Just a fish.

Frankly, I'm a bit relieved. It takes a lot out of a person to look into an unhealthy fish tank day after day, sometimes.

I just wish I had learned a bit more before I accepted responsibility for someone else's fish.

Maybe I should take my father's advice:"just flush em".

Maybe everything is OK, know? Just a fish.

Frankly, I'm a bit relieved. It takes a lot out of a person to look into an unhealthy fish tank day after day, sometimes.

I just wish I had learned a bit more before I accepted responsibility for someone else's fish.
Maybe I should take my father's advice:"just flush em".

(Of course)I won't.

Back
Top Bottom