Fish Don't "Feel"? Oh ok.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethingclever

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't been on here in a while, but i figured i would share with you something i saw today that really warmed my heart. I know people don't think fish feel and have short memory and what not, while i'm sure that's true for most, it's not true for all. Like my Betta fish Rambo.

I have had Rambo for a while now, he is a very interesting fish. Out of all the bettas i have ever owned, he is by far the most gentle and non aggressive. He had an unfortunate run in with another fish of mine and had all of his fins eaten off his body... ALL his fins. Poor guy, i didn't think he would make it but sure enough he did and is beautiful again.

I had bought a large oranda a few months ago and was very much in love with her, she was so full of personality it was ridiculous, she would play with me if i ran my fingers around the tank, and do flips and swim around all happy. Every morning when i woke up she would be right by me with her face almost pressing on the glass as if she was saying "good morning, now gimme food". I loved her so much, i've never owned a fish quite like her.

Back to Rambo, he had been "hiding" or something for the past week, he NEVER does this. I found it weird, he was always swimming around and would come up to me as well through out the day. I feared that he had died or gotten sick. I realize now that he began hiding around the time my Oranda got bloat... and unfortunately she died this morning. We were all really sad untill i noticed something, something under her body... black... and just laying there. It was Rambo, he came out of hiding and there he was. I didn't know what to think at first but then it dawned on me... he was mourning his friends passing. I made sure he wasn't just there and i happened to notice him as he happened to swim to her, but no matter what i did he wouldn't leave her side, at one point he even laid on her as if he was protecting her. This really made me think, maybe some fish do have the capacity for feelings, who knows. Anyway i just thought i would share this story with you guys, if nothing more than for food for thought. Sorry that it was long.

Awww sweet story! sorry your fish died :( but thank you for sharing about Rambo!

I like your story. I am sorry for the loss of such a sweet fish.

I have a Kuhli loach, who is buddies with my Raphael spotted cat, since that catfish was tiny, the Kuhli would sleep next to him, and under him and sometimes partially over him. It seems mostly one sided as the Raphael acts like he is in a meditative trance or dead most of the time when its day time, he will go out hunting, sometimes, at night.

Thank you for sharing your story and your feelings. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Sorry about your fish, it was a fantastic story and I believe fish DO feel, if they didn't then they wouldn't have "personalities", and we wouldn't care about them. Those shy, show offs, stare you downs and playful ones and many more "personalities" to me are how they show their feelings. IE timid, shy = scared just MHO.

EDIT: P.S. Way to go Rambo, most guys won't show they care LOL :)

sorry about your fish. and,maybe?!? of course they have feelings

Sorry about your loss, goldys are one of my soft spots.

I do believe they have "feelings", my pet fish Missy has had some issues since her man passed away she'll accept tank mates as long as they look nothing like her. Along with being really grumpy otherwise she still plays with me, interacts with the kids and if I fall asleep on the couch without giving her the midnight snack either the hood on her tank "pops" from her hitting it or if I've forgotten to put it down I wake up to wearing water

Back
Top Bottom