Fish horror story at petsmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ugh! I went to petsmart yesterday to go look in on the fish and pick up a few things and happened to walk by the goldfish tanks. There I was looking around and in the highest tank I saw two of the biggest fancy goldfish flailing around! I watched in horror as the two turned over and where swimming upside-down gasping. The stupid clerk in there didn't even seem to care! He just asked me if I needed anything netted! I felt like screaming at this idiot! Then, I was walking around the tropical section and there was a poor little parrot cichlid stuck in his house, and I nearly grabbed a net, but restrained. As I kept walking, I was reading the labels on recommended tank size.
Pleco, 55 gallon

Rainbow shark, ten gallon

African dwarf frog, one gallon

Oscar cichlid, 30 gallon

I was practically in tears. Then I saw the cup bettas. Half of them were dead, and just got shoved to the back of the shelf! Then the ADF's, all either belly up or about to be. Geez I hate that place!!!

Sounds awful. Our large chain stores here are never like that. The fish are well looked after for the most part. I do disagree on the minimum tank recommendations though.

It just really sucks in general. But they're so cheap, so I like to use them for stuff. The petsmart close to me is ok, but im around the other one more. The petco is great, but it's so expensive I feel like I'm getting scammed every time I go in there.

Glad you didnt go buy where they sell the tanks, cause if its setup up like the petsmart here they have a sign that has 1 inch of fish per gallon rule and also on the same sign that it recommended that introduce fish into your tank within 48 hours of adding water

Im guessing the only way to solve the problem is not to shop there for anything! Even if u only get supplies from them you are still providing them with income. Another place might be more expensive, but it's would be worth it if they are caring for the animals better. Every penny spent on caring for an animal is paid by the customer at the register.... I'm sure u can find another store you can feel good about buying all your supplies and animals from.

I don't shop at that one if I don't have too, but I can't afford to shop at the more expensive ones! (teenage salary) I go to the better petsmart if I can, and petco for fish, but it still really put me off. I'm probably just gonna start going in there and complaining until they do something about it.

The petsmart close to me actually does a pretty decent job taking care of its fish. It probably isn't a coincidence that the store's manager is a fish keeper and keeps several tanks himself. He's given me some good advice. Showed me some pictures of his 150g mbuna tank.

The employees he hires are typically passionate about animals and several up there have a decent knowledge of fish keeping. In no way does it compare to my LFS which I'm blown away by their knowledge every time I go, but they are closer and cheaper in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom