Fish Maintenace Business

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im trying! They all keep telling me " we are not a vender we are retail only".... Still searching. Gonna call Marineland

Unfortunately, i think most of the manufacturers out there expect you to have a brick and mortar store before they will sell to you.

Well im set up and ready. Almost all my supplies are in. I ordered lots of tidy type materials to
Protect the floors including shoe bootys. now im saving for business cards. I need to update the comp so i can make awesome cards and flyers.

One step at a time! This sure has been a great learning experience.

Well im set up and ready. Almost all my supplies are in. I ordered lots of tidy type materials to
Protect the floors including shoe bootys. now im saving for business cards. I need to update the comp so i can make awesome cards and flyers.

One step at a time! This sure has been a great learning experience.

If you look around the web, im sure you can get business cards for free.

Yes i saw vista print. First time impressions are everything so i may go with premium cards;)

MyFishyBusiness said:
Yes i saw vista print. First time impressions are everything so i may go with premium cards;)

I looked for a ton of FREE business cards but there are none :( I found 250 cards for around 10 bucks on vistaprint.

I charge people in my neighborhood 50$ per hour to maintain their tank. It includes water testing, changes, cleaning, etc. I also help them with their research on fish and coral choices.

Most people in my area charge 200$ a month for two visits here. And all that includes is water changes. Nothing else. It's ridiculous.

Royal pet supplies does not require store front I believe. However, they will only ship to commercial properties and not residential. I used my mothers store for delivery the first few times. They carry all supplies including tanks. They do require a business license at minimum and maybe (can't remember) a retail license as well. I am sure you could look in the big cities close to you for wholesalers for livestock.

MyFishyBusiness said:
If anyone has a business in maintaining and setting up new aquariums please share your experiences and advice.

I just opened!

Mu questions:

How do you price a cleaning service? Per gallon, per visit?

I want top tier customer service, what would you expect from my business as part of the service?

Not interested in contracts, i feel it scares people... What do you do to attract and keep your customers?

Anyone have any equipment they would like to sell?

Open to all! Thanks for posting!

MyFishyBusiness

Tara

As far as advertisement, why don't u get some kind of magnet or sticker to put on the tank so people can see who maintains the tank!

Love the idea!!! I wrote the wounded warrior project. Id like to donate 5% to them for every service.

This is a calling i believe this whole thing is much BIGGER the me!!

Please like me on Facebook! Cant afford a real website yet:( but that will come!!

MyFishyBusiness said:
Love the idea!!! I wrote the wounded warrior project. Id like to donate 5% to them for every service.

Please like me on Facebook! Cant afford a real website yet:( but that will come!!

Glad to be of some kinda help, hope you'll do great! What will they do for you?

You might want to check into some liability insurance, and get yourself bonded. One big leak( tank or equipment) and your profit will drop drastically:facepalm: If you are going to be in businesses or homes when no one is there, being bonded will save your butt if any accusations arise!! Also if you are bonded and insured prospective clients feel more secure. Just a thought;)

foster53 said:
You might want to check into some liability insurance, and get yourself bonded. One big leak( tank or equipment) and your profit will drop drastically:facepalm: If you are going to be in businesses or homes when no one is there, being bonded will save your butt if any accusations arise!! Also if you are bonded and insured prospective clients feel more secure. Just a thought;)

Good idea I don't sell tanks but I maintain I have about 20 clients 150$ per month 2 visits I had to get insured I was adding slate to a 130 gallon tank ind it slipped and broke the bottom ruined there carpet and a lot of water went down the duct work and swamped the furnace it cost me exactly 2800$ to replace the carpet and repair the furnace I will never forget it hard first year now 5 years later company van registered business bonded and insured

My insurance rate is about 275$ per month and covers me up to 500000$

Good idea I don't sell tanks but I maintain I have about 20 clients 150$ per month 2 visits I had to get insured I was adding slate to a 130 gallon tank ind it slipped and broke the bottom ruined there carpet and a lot of water went down the duct work and swamped the furnace it cost me exactly 2800$ to replace the carpet and repair the furnace I will never forget it hard first year now 5 years later company van registered business bonded and insured

My insurance rate is about 275$ per month and covers me up to 500000$
Ouch:( Hard lessons teach the most(y)

Outstanding! Best of Luck to you! ALL troops appreciate it!

+1 on insurance. You will often get better clients this way as well. I'd also get contracts drawn up. Not for time frames- just a CYB kind of thing letting customers know you have insurance and what would occur in case of an accident. I would also mention the services provided set up a schedule at this time to include rates and rates for emergency calls (it happens more than you think). Plus- mention that maybe you could provide babysitting for away trips.

Jlsardina said:
+1 on insurance. You will often get better clients this way as well. I'd also get contracts drawn up. Not for time frames- just a CYB kind of thing letting customers know you have insurance and what would occur in case of an accident. I would also mention the services provided set up a schedule at this time to include rates and rates for emergency calls (it happens more than you think). Plus- mention that maybe you could provide babysitting for away trips.

Contracts are key not obligating them to so many years of service but to let them know what your responsible for and sometimes meds don't works and there will always be unexplainable things happening and if the client adds something to the tank themselves that your not responsible for what happens to the tank I also set up quarantine at my house so I can observe new fish before adding them to their system just so they know your not stealing their fish you are just qting them for a month

Back
Top Bottom