Fish Mistreatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
(Sorry, this is a bit of an angry rant)
I know tons of other animals are constantly mistreated every day. It's sick. But it seems fish are treated among the worst, especially since many people hardly consider them living things. They just throw them around in harsh conditions for their own enjoyment, without even taking the time to learn proper care.

Take a few of my best friends for example. Today they went out to some carnival thing and each won a goldfish. They walked around for a few hours with the fish still in the bag after that. Finally, when they got home they put all 3 of the fish in a small, plastic cereal bowl and did not so much as condition the water first. Then they sat there and gawked at the fish, taking pictures and laughing at how they were slowly dying.

I'm just tired of it. People treat fish like garbage because they think fish are below them. They don't care if their fish dies; they'll just go buy a new one. It's only for decoration, anyways.

It bugs me to, If I saw something about it I'm a 'Fish Nerd' but if I don't I feel bad. People just don't care about animals anymore.

I am a strong advocate that fish should never be used as a "prize" unless it is somewhere like a fish convention where people are truly interested in the hobby. Some people I know thought having Betta bowls on top of the table for a wedding recepton would be nice..they were looking at upwards of 30 fish. I asked the question of what they intended to do with the fish afterwords and they said they would give them away to the guests, or, they would just "get rid" of them. Fortunately, I talked them out of the idea by explaining a few things about the fishkeeping hobby.

I am a strong advocate that fish should never be used as a "prize" unless it is somewhere like a fish convention where people are truly interested in the hobby. Some people I know thought having Betta bowls on top of the table for a wedding recepton would be nice..they were looking at upwards of 30 fish. I asked the question of what they intended to do with the fish afterwords and they said they would give them away to the guests, or, they would just "get rid" of them. Fortunately, I talked them out of the idea by explaining a few things about the fishkeeping hobby.
Exactly. My aunt was hosting some fancy dinner for all of her friends, and as decoration she got a really tall, about 10-gallon 5-inch wide glass vase and put 6 goldfish in it. She put floating candles on the water. She just used tap water without condition. After the dinner the vase broke and all of the fish died :/

When my mom was little, the swim team would put like 300 feeder fish in the public swimming pool, and swim around and catch them. They just left the ones that didn't get picked in there until they all died. :(

When my mom was little, the swim team would put like 300 feeder fish in the public swimming pool, and swim around and catch them. They just left the ones that didn't get picked in there until they all died. :(

That makes sense. Torture the fish in a heavily chlorinated pool then contaminate the pool with dead fish. Makes perfect sense to me......

Its a small part of what human can do and you all participate and so I!!
Not all on fish but you all use things that will kill animals in the wild, fish included.

We are upset with those who kill fish because its our hobby but we all have a bad habit who destroy other hobby!

Just an opinion

Its a small part of what human can do and you all participate and so I!!
Not all on fish but you all use things that will kill animals in the wild, fish included.

We are upset with those who kill fish because its our hobby but we all have a bad habit who destroy other hobby!

Just an opinion
Torturing an animal isn't just a "bad habit" though.

I think a lot of the thing with fish is people being ignorant rather than intentionally cruel. What I mean to say is that it is fairly obvious to any sane person that kicking a dog is cruel but how many of us knew about suitable water chemistry for fish before we started/intended to start keeping them? I know I didn't for sure.

So you did not understand what i said but no problem its hard for me to be precise in english, and just to make sure: i did not say that torturing fish is a bad habit i said that we all have habit who has a bad side we dont see or understand.
People who use betta at wedding or things like that dont even understand what there doing, i dont accept here, i explain why its a small part of bad action human do.

Humans naturally affect animals,..we see it all the time in the destruction of habitats in order for man to have more room, build things or make life easier.

Maybe the idea here is that the people inthe hobby who sell fish, we know there are much stricter regualtions on animlas likes dogs and cats, are the ones that need to pass on the information to any potential buyer who is new to fish...even those carnival types need to explain. MAybe if we could regulate the information going out, to a certain extent, we wouldn't have instances like the carnival "person" or the swim team "chase down a fish" day or the wedding..."but they are so colorful" types. It may not come down to actually talking aobut it since people who have the knowledge arne't going to put up with a long lecture everytime they buy a fish, but pamphlets like you get with prescriptions or other items.

We know fish stores, the less ethical ones anyway, will sell as much as they can and forget the health of the animal. Those shops need to be shut down or regulated in some manner...and they aren't regulated at the moment.

I think a lot of the thing with fish is people being ignorant rather than intentionally cruel. What I mean to say is that it is fairly obvious to any sane person that kicking a dog is cruel but how many of us knew about suitable water chemistry for fish before we started/intended to start keeping them? I know I didn't for sure.
Yeah, that's very true. Most people only know that fish need to be in water, but there's a whole other world to proper fish care. But still, they must know that putting goldfish in a swimming pool and leaving them there to die is bad -_-

I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but unless you're vegetarian or eat only free range food, many animals are put through the same mistreatment that many fish suffer through.

I agree that all people should be much more informed, but that's not really an achievable goal when there are chain stores with untrained employees. The best we can do is inform those that we can and give our own fish the best possible lives because in all honesty, they're the lucky ones.

Sssea said:
I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but unless you're vegetarian or eat only free range food, many animals are put through the same mistreatment that many fish suffer through.

I would recommend watching a movie called Food Inc, it's on Netflix instant que. That movie will make you think more on where your food comes from. It's pretty messed up the way people treat animals that are only considered food.

Sometimes I really wish AA didn't have expectations when it comes to language usage, because I'd really be "colorful" on a subject like this one. ^^

That is true, Ickle, I didn't know anything about water conditioning, cycling tanks, or even proper tank sizes when I first started too, but what about, like some have said, about using goldfish as prizes? Even if the people who "win" them don't know anything about keeping fish, the people who are providing the "prizes" really should know better. It is a horrible, terrible thing. Fish are not decorations, not prizes, not inanimate objects! I have an online subscription to Practical FIshkeepers and they have good articles in there on this. One was a very long article about how they are trying to change the laws (this is in the UK) about using fish as prizes and what they are trying to do about it. There was also an article about China, where they are using baby turtles and goldfish in KEYRINGS of all things. Just cute little things, aren't they? there isn't even any way to feed them! Not that you could keep them in such a tiny thing anyway, but its just horribly cruel.

Yep, as someone already said, if they die, so what? Just get a new one. I mean most fish, cost what $5 or less? No big deal. The mistreatment of bettas and goldfish get me riled because for some reason they are the fish that are abused and mistreated the most. I know that some of it IS ignorance and long perpetuated myths: Goldfish can live in bowls, bettas live in mud puddles, etc. BUt as all of us have said numerous times - DO YOUR RESEARCH! Its not that hard now that there is internet. Oooohh, don't get me started!

BeavisMom62 said:
That is true, Ickle, but what about, like some have said, about using goldfish as prizes? Even if the people who "win" them don't know anything about keeping fish, the people who are providing the "prizes" really should know better. It is a horrible, terrible thing. Fish are not decorations, not prizes, not inanimate objects! I have an online subscription to Practical FIshkeepers and they have good articles in there on this. One was a very long article about how they are trying to change the laws (this is in the UK) about using fish as prizes and what they are trying to do about it. There was also an article about China, where they are using baby turtles and goldfish in KEYRINGS of all things. Just cute little things, aren't they? there isn't even any way to feed them! Not that you could keep them in such a tiny thing anyway, but its just horribly cruel.

Yep, as someone already said, if they die, so what? Just get a new one. I mean most fish, cost what $5 or less? No big deal. The mistreatment of bettas and goldfish get me riled because for some reason they are the fish that are abused and mistreated the most. I know that some of it IS ignorance and long perpetuated myths: Goldfish can live in bowls, bettas live in mud puddles, etc. BUt as all of us have said numerous times - DO YOUR RESEARCH! Its not that hard now that there is internet. Oooohh, don't get me started!

Keyrings?! Get out of here. Any sane person can see that's not right. :( the turtles wouldn't even be able to breathe! :'( that's horrible!!!

Alright... These people are stupid. This is just stupid. This is crap.

Attachments

• image-3042203298.jpg
    image-3042203298.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom