Fish out of water tap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aiken Drum

Site Team
My wife works telephone support at the local water company and she took a call from a gentleman who says that a fish came out of his water tap. He has kept the fish for examination purposes (still alive) and the water company is going to investigate.

This seems preposterous. There is surely no way a fish could survive that is there? Only thing i can think of is that maybe he has a water storage tank in the attic and it somehow came from there. What do you guys think?

Don't taps have a mesh thing on the end of the spout or is that just a Canadian thing.

That does sound amazing.

One time I found Blue Gill fish after a water spout inland about 18 miles away from the lake and in a farmers alfalfa field and on the road. But that was explainable. lol

Keep us posted on how this turns out.

Update. The fish in question is apparently a dogfish, about 1 inch long. It died after a day. The water company cant investigate further at this time due to Coronavirus, but will do so when its safer to attend the home in question.

They have asked if the home has a water storage tank. The owner says not, but maybe he doesn't know one way or the other.

Ive just spoken to a work colleague who is a mechanical engineer (plumber). While he has never heard of fish, he has heard of shrimp coming out of water taps, especially where the water supply connects to older, now redundant, 4" cast iron parts of the network and they occasionally get pulled into the main system. So I guess if a shrimp can survive that, then so can a fish.

Wow - pretty amazing.

I’d heard of it as a kid but that’s decades ago and it was a small town connected to river. I think we all had rainwater tanks for drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom