Fishkeeping Ethical Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok So my LFS had a gar in one of its ponds. It was prolly 2 feet long but really thick. They had a sign which read (gallonage might not be exact) "Gar free to a good home -125 gallon tank. 30$ to an ok home- 80 gallon tank."
ok if the fish needs 125 gallons to be in a good home then why would you offer to sell it to a substandard home? Anyone else have a problem with this? Is a fish quality of life exchangable for money?

It could, in part, be a joke. But even if it's not, it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. People treat fish and lots of other animals as objects. Fish end up as just an accent to a piece of furniture unfortunately.

That sounds like a joke to me, but who knows. I agree with jeta that fish are often viewed as objects. I think many people view them as a disposable form of life. You can always ask them about it and say you don't understand their sense of humor.

ok maybe thats what happened. The sign just looked serious. They do have one that reads "Yes the gar bites. Yes it will hurt. If we have to cut the gar open to retrieve your finger you will be charged for the gar" lol

Back
Top Bottom