Fishkeeping in 1960s Cuba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! So when I first got into fishkeeping about three years ago, my father took a pretty intense interest in it. When I asked him why, he told me about how he used to keep fish when he was growing up in Cuba.

However, before I go any further, allow me first to say: I do not, in any way, shape, or form, endorse keeping fish in these conditions nowadays. Please keep in mind that this was a very different culture and during a period in time in which fishkeeping was nowhere near as common as it is today.

That said, I still think it's a story worth telling because it's a nice little insight into a piece of fishkeeping history.

Alright, so back to the story. My father told me that the only fish that were available to them at first were guppies, and that they were sold by a man who had been keeping and breeding them for a long time. Now here's the only problem they had. This was post-revolutionary Cuba, and it was impossible for a Cuban to buy a fish tank. So they kept the fish either in large empty barrels, or in small glass vases. The problem was that you couldn't really see them in the barrels, and they didn't last very long at all in the vases.

However, culturally, Cubans have always had a remarkable ability to make do with what they got, and that's exactly what they did. What my father and his friends ended up doing was getting themselves some old dead batteries off of boats. From his description of the batteries, they seemed to have been about the size of a 20 gallon tank. They would clean the batteries out with seawater (soap had become a bit of a luxury), and they would cut a really large square hole in one side of the battery. They would then get pieces of glass (my dad said he didn't remember where they would manage to find them), and have them cut to the right size to cover the hole they had cut. They would glue that glass in place over the hole, and use these "batteries with windows" as their fish tanks. They would replace half the water with fresh tap water a few times a week (the water in Cuba wasn't chlorinated). As far as food goes, my father says they used to feed the fish leftover banana peels, and also some bits of coconut every once in a while.

Remember that part where I said I don't endorse keeping fish like this? Well, in case it isn't immediately obvious to you, keeping fish in emptied out batteries and feeding them banana peels probably isn't very healthy for the fish. That said, my dad's story serves as a testament to the hardiness of guppies and other livebearers. He told me that they would have many deaths, but that the population was kept more or less stable as they would also breed prolifically. In fact they had enough fry that they were able to sell them to others.

My father left Cuba in 1970, and he and my grandparents were only allowed to take the clothes on their backs with them. Needless to say, the fish stayed behind; he had entrusted them to a good friend of his. My father has since lost contact with him, but he doesn't doubt that there are still people in Cuba today, keeping fish in whatever they have available to them, and he tells me he wonders sometimes if maybe his colony of guppies is still around somewhere on the island.

Sorry for the long read! If you made it all the way through, I hope you found it interesting!

A fascinating look at Cuban culture. Thanks so much for taking the time to relay the story. I enjoyed it very much.

Hi all! So when I first got into fishkeeping about three years ago, my father took a pretty intense interest in it. When I asked him why, he told me about how he used to keep fish when he was growing up in Cuba.

However, before I go any further, allow me first to say: I do not, in any way, shape, or form, endorse keeping fish in these conditions nowadays. Please keep in mind that this was a very different culture and during a period in time in which fishkeeping was nowhere near as common as it is today.

That said, I still think it's a story worth telling because it's a nice little insight into a piece of fishkeeping history.

Alright, so back to the story. My father told me that the only fish that were available to them at first were guppies, and that they were sold by a man who had been keeping and breeding them for a long time. Now here's the only problem they had. This was post-revolutionary Cuba, and it was impossible for a Cuban to buy a fish tank. So they kept the fish either in large empty barrels, or in small glass vases. The problem was that you couldn't really see them in the barrels, and they didn't last very long at all in the vases.

However, culturally, Cubans have always had a remarkable ability to make do with what they got, and that's exactly what they did. What my father and his friends ended up doing was getting themselves some old dead batteries off of boats. From his description of the batteries, they seemed to have been about the size of a 20 gallon tank. They would clean the batteries out with seawater (soap had become a bit of a luxury), and they would cut a really large square hole in one side of the battery. They would then get pieces of glass (my dad said he didn't remember where they would manage to find them), and have them cut to the right size to cover the hole they had cut. They would glue that glass in place over the hole, and use these "batteries with windows" as their fish tanks. They would replace half the water with fresh tap water a few times a week (the water in Cuba wasn't chlorinated). As far as food goes, my father says they used to feed the fish leftover banana peels, and also some bits of coconut every once in a while.

Remember that part where I said I don't endorse keeping fish like this? Well, in case it isn't immediately obvious to you, keeping fish in emptied out batteries and feeding them banana peels probably isn't very healthy for the fish. That said, my dad's story serves as a testament to the hardiness of guppies and other livebearers. He told me that they would have many deaths, but that the population was kept more or less stable as they would also breed prolifically. In fact they had enough fry that they were able to sell them to others.

My father left Cuba in 1970, and he and my grandparents were only allowed to take the clothes on their backs with them. Needless to say, the fish stayed behind; he had entrusted them to a good friend of his. My father has since lost contact with him, but he doesn't doubt that there are still people in Cuba today, keeping fish in whatever they have available to them, and he tells me he wonders sometimes if maybe his colony of guppies is still around somewhere on the island.

Sorry for the long read! If you made it all the way through, I hope you found it interesting!

Very interesting story.

cool story,neat to see how fish were kept back then

You have to admit, it makes you look at the DIY projects you might be putting off and think "Ya know...Maybe that isn't so challenging." heh. Ideal, no... creative solution, yes.

ShadoeFox said:
You have to admit, it makes you look at the DIY projects you might be putting off and think "Ya know...Maybe that isn't so challenging." heh. Ideal, no... creative solution, yes.

Agree! (15 char)

Sure, it might not have been ideal situations, nor great equipment to be using, but it certainly sounds like they tried their best to take care of the fish (y)

Is all true ,im also from cuba and back then things where not so good and in the 80s where basic the dark ages for cuba ,it was officialy call special period,then in the 90s got a little bit better,i had my first tank in 1995,30gal or so, the only filtration we could use was custom made undergravel filter,even today there is no sush a thing like power filters or canisters.

I'm glad you guys have found it interesting! I always have found it remarkable how much people can improvise when they've got limited resources.

If anyone's got any other stories about the history of fishkeeping please feel free to share!

This isn't as interesting as yours, but when we were growing mom had a 5/10 gallon aquarium. No lights, no heater, no glass top, and no filter! It also sat right in front of the windows in the living room with the heat vent right under neath of it!! Once a week mom would haul it to the kitchen sink ( cussing and splashing water on her way) and remove the fish ( no net) and clean tank, decorations under the faucet, probably a good thing we had well water! If I remember right there was a few feeder guppies that bred, a common goldfish that mom cussed because it was so dirty, and another fish that aways jumped out of the tank onto the carpet! It made one jump to many! We found it dried up on the carpet, mom called that one the d**** fish!! Lol it still brings back fond memories!

ocean said:
Lol it still brings back fond memories!

Haha yea, it's always nice to think back to those simpler times, but the idea of trying to keep a tank looking clean with no filtration is really daunting lol.

Do you mind if I ask how long ago this was?

My first "tank" was an empty glass battery case of about 2 gallons or less that was given to me with a colony of guppies. It had no filtration, but a fairly large number of Vals or Sag. This was around 1962.

Patterson333 said:
Haha yea, it's always nice to think back to those simpler times, but the idea of trying to keep a tank looking clean with no filtration is really daunting lol.

Do you mind if I ask how long ago this was?

Don't mind at all, 45 years ago!!! :)

It's amazing how everyone used to keep fish back then. My uncle used to keep fish in the late 70s and early 80s (in the states). He mostly kept angelfish and other community fish. When I first got my tanks and he saw all my filtration he was amazed. He told me that back then everyone used UGFs and in order to clean them you had to take apart the whole tank. You gotta put some effort in if you wanna keep fish, but compared to what they used to have to do, maintenance nowadays is a walk in the park.

He also told me that he remembered when Cardinal Tetras were first introduced to the market (in NY at least) in the early 80s. He said everyone went nuts for them but they didn't last long at all so the stores stopped importing them, so he was amazed that I was able to keep a school lol.

I'm also of Cuban Heritage, and my Girlfriends Grandfather was an avid fish keeper when he was in Cuba. The Story in the OP is very similar to the one that he told me, this was a common practice to do in Havana. He told me how he used 50 Gallon Drum Barrels and fitted a large piece of glass in front of it. I forgot what fish he kept, but i do know that he kept Tetras, but I'm also sure he kept guppies.

he went to a river near his house, and collected local plants from the river and placed it in the make-shift tank. For Food, he actually went back to the same river, and took large chunks of dirt and mud from the water. He never specified how he did this, but when he cleaned it out through a filter he gathered a bunch of worms that he would feed to his fish. My Girlfriends Grandfather kept 2 of these, using a separate tank for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom