Fleas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tryied out a house cat and it brought fleas into my house. I would like to keep the cat inside but I need to know how to treat the house for fleas.

I dont know about using bug bombs as I am worried it will polute my sw tank.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well having greyhounds for years that are prone to fleas, especially when they're younger, you'll need to get a flea collar to go around the neck. Also, a medicated treatment, usually in the form of tablets mixed up with the food at feeding times.

You can also get medicated shampoo's, but be prepared for a mucky bath and you're cat looking like its hit 10,000 volts !!

All are good in my opinion. Have fun !

You can also get some furniture spray to kill the eggs and any fleas on the furniture, you would also need to get some flea shampoo for your carpets. Don't worry about it getting into the SW tank, unless you actually spray the stuff on the tank :wink: .

We had fleas on our cats and dog and now they are gone. As Grant said, some flea collars, normally last about three months, spray on the furniture and then a good vaccum, and shampoo the carpets. Fleas all gone.

Treatment for the furniture and carpets will probably take a weeks worth of spray and clean to bo sure you get all the little b£$%*&s :lol:

I have to second kevins suggestion of checking out our sister site www.felineadvice.com we have a vet on staff over there for accurate assistance.

With that said....

We went on a trip and stayed at a place that was fighting a flea infestation. After a few weeks of being home after that trip our house was OVERRUN with these damn things. It was so bad you would litrally see them jumping all over your legs and arms if you went into the basement living room.

What we did to end this was I got some flea powder from the store and sprinkled it all over the carpet and the furnature in the basement. Used a broom to sweep it into the carpet and let it sit for about an hour. Then I vaclumed it up. I did this twice and also go some 'advantage' from the vet. We are into our 3ed treatment with advantage and I have not seen a flea for 2 months.

I have two tanks in the basment and neither had any negitive effects from the treatment with flea powder but there was a small amount of powder residue over just about evertyhing including the caonpy.

Mike, you can get Advantage or Frontline which is made for both cats and dogs. It comes in a small tube and you put it on their back. It costs about $10 a tube, but it will work for a month or longer. I think the frontline is a little more expensive, but it doesn't wash off. If you don't plan on giving your cat a bath, then you can get the Advantage. You can get it at the vet, or I'm sure there's somewhere you can get it online too. As for the house, I don't know what would or wouldn't hurt your tanks.

i have a flea collar on her and i use flea drops. Im just concerned about getting them out of the house. Sounds like the shampoo is the idea to try.

thanks guys.

oh ya also, i think this question pertained more to this forum than the feline one because i didnt want to contaminate my reef tank. not trying to be cruel but, my reef tank is much more important than my cat.

Thats fine just that we have members who are experenced with cats and cat issues on that site specificly. Dr. Holly who is also a member here and has many tanks is a vet by trade is one of our advisors on that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom