Fresh, Salt, or Brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt, Fresh, or Brackish?

• Freshwater

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Brackish

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
Fresh. Never tried the others...yet lol

Had fresh for many years,,made the switch to salt 6 and half years ago...Both are great ...BUT salt FTW ,,:wink:

I like both for different reasons. I like fresh because some of the fish are very easy to breed, and I like salt because of the beautiful colors.

I voted fresh since that's all I know, but I'm getting a 125g in a couple weeks and if I hit the lottery I will be annoying all of you very much with newbie salt questions because they're so beautiful! If no lotto, then I'll be doing the same with cichlid questions, soooo thanks in advance! :p

Wow - from the list of tanks there, you must be DEDICATED! Do you ever sleep?

I live, eat and sleep fish.

I've been known to do water changes in the middle of the night LOL.

They are my babies......Love them all

(I am a little partial to my sw tanks though since I baby them so much)

I am strictly a freshie. SW just seems like it is harder and more expensive than FW. Not only do you have to worry about ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, but also SG. I about passed out when I looked in the saltwater section at a LFS and corals, etc were $50! I could buy tons of anacharis for what a single coral costs.

Most of my corals I paid $20 for. :) I just got 3 frags for $15 too! It's not always so expensive. lol

The setup costs I believe are more especially if you go reef. BUT in the end its a great investment of time and money, at least in my opinion.

I am strictly a freshie. SW just seems like it is harder and more expensive than FW. Not only do you have to worry about ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, but also SG. I about passed out when I looked in the saltwater section at a LFS and corals, etc were $50! I could buy tons of anacharis for what a single coral costs.

Saltwater is not all that complicated IMO...once your tank cycles it should remain stable ...just do top offs and your SG will remain stable..I haven't checked my SG in months ..Start with fish only and move to reefs if you wanted..you just can't keep all the "cool" saltwater fish in a reef, ie..angels ,tusks ,triggers ..you can have lots of shrooms and rics still:wink:
bottom line,,don't be intimidated by saltwater

Most of my corals I paid $20 for. :) I just got 3 frags for $15 too! It's not always so expensive. lol

The setup costs I believe are more especially if you go reef. BUT in the end its a great investment of time and money, at least in my opinion.

Sounds like this place was over priced. I guess it just sounds hard until you do it, then it is simple.

I do have to agree that some SW tanks I have seen are simply AMAZING, even if it costs a lot.

Back
Top Bottom