friends that wont listern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keenfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
come on we all must have friends/someone that wont listern to our advise or we tell them they going to kill the fish.
i start

my sister-inlaw want a 1-2g bowl with 1 goldfish with no lighting no filter nothing and the reason for this is she wants to put on her dinning table with no wires coming from it and uniterupted views

keenfish said:
come on we all must have friends/someone that wont listern to our advise or we tell them they going to kill the fish.
i start

my sister-inlaw want a 1-2g bowl with 1 goldfish with no lighting no filter nothing and the reason for this is she wants to put on her dinning table with no wires coming from it and uniterupted views

Have you tried showing them like websites so it's not just what you say?

no matter how many times i told my neighbor that betas should be kept in 10 gallon or more, he insisted on keeping his half moon in that >1g vasewith 4 inches of gravel and a small thing of moss

the beta is now mine and i use that vase for when i buy live brine shrimp

LOL i almost had too. she gave him to me when she went on another 6 month vacation -_-, but when she got back she decided it was too much work. by that time i had already rehomed him to his new tank. ( sadly though he died a few years ago)

My moms boss owned a biocube 14 and never cycled it, never bought a test kit, always had it WAY overstocked,and never did pwc. So one day I was talking to him telling him he should join this place and how he should return his fish or re-home them, basically trying to help him but he insisted that he was doing everything right because his sons gf is a engineer and knows everything about saltwater aquariums and that that's the way they have setup their tanks well long story short 2 months later I'm the proud new owner of a biocube 14 :) got it for free

My friend does not acclimate fish at all! She claims it's stupid and pointless. It's annoying. :|

And when I ask her, "did you acclimate them" she says yes because she knows I going to blow up on her lol. I've been in her back about this forever.

My brother-in-law recently set up a 20gal and didn't listen to a word I told him. He didn't cycle it at all and when I asked him why, he said the guy at Walmart told me all I had to do was add water and fish.:banghead: After explaining the cycling process, that coupled with loosing his fish, for the umpteenth time I think he may be starting to get it. For a guy that has two college degrees he sure is an idiot.

my mom and sister have a 55g that previously had 4 common goldfish and a common pleco.. they never did water changes and wanted to know why they use to lay in the corner all the time.. I tried to tell them: the tanks over stocked, not enough filtration, the water is killing them because the waste that they never clean up... their rebuttal : but the waters clear and they obviously fit in the tank, look he just turned around. they think PWC do more harm that good .. doesn't even make sense lol
finally got them to rehome the 7inch fish to a LSF.

now they have 4fancies and they contracted ich from non QT of new fish. I told them you need to keep the lights off and gravel vacuum every day, I went back few days later and they freaked out on me because the fish are in worse health.. I asked if they did anything I said, they said " well no, because that stuff won't help"

so now its my responsibility to drive 1.5 hours round trip to care for her tank and do PWC. but I do it cause I feel bad for the fish

I've had a lot of friends and students see my tanks and ask me to help them get one started. They almost all listen to my advice early on, but shortly you see who is willing to do the work lol. One of my friends now has 5 tanks in his living room and they look amazing! He even has his wife liking them after resisting the initial tank forever lol. I have another who went out and bought a 75 gal tank with two nice canister filters and all the works but has decided the pwc's are too much work and is taking it down and selling it. Hopefully I'll be able to get some new filters on the cheap ;) I have had students of mine set up 40b with yellow lab spit by mine and they are all doing wonderful. One student's father has an indoor pond that I am rather jealous of filled with local stream species. It rivals anything I've seen at Bass Pro or Cabelas. It all boils down to not being lazy. I now tell my friends if they aren't willing to scoop poop don't get a dog, if you aren't willing to do pwc's don't get fish. People think fish take care of themselves...

my biggest issue is the husband who thinks he knows everything that there is to keeping fish, i have tried to expliain to him that PWC are part of keeping fish and no im not going to rinse off my good bio wheel with tap water. on top of it all he goes and tells people the WROG info. so at this point the fish tank is mine and he is not allowed to touch.

my coworker's friend bought a 90g tank...filled it with tap water, put one undersized heater, 1 severely undersized filter, added salt and went out and bought 4 different kinds of sw fish....this was about 3 days after i let him borrow a couple books on setting up/starting a sw aquarium......

I have keept fish for 40 years. People ask for advice & then tell me a better way. Then tell me they lost a fish no you kill fish. I agree with Sliderfish it takes work. I have 75 koi in my 18,600 gal pond 30" to 10" must about 22" talk about fish poop & water changs & filters. And a 180gal tank in the house. I'm retired so I can do the work & do.

Back
Top Bottom