Frog and Amphibian thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just thought it might be cool to have a general thread for talking and posting about our Amphibious friends.

I'm getting some amphibians soon and find them very interesting.

[emoji196][emoji196][emoji196]

Ok not an amphibian. But she was out looking around this morning and I thought I would take a picture.
Hope you enjoy.
20210221_234513.jpg

I love amphibians! I currently own 5 fire belly toads and I absolutely love them. They are so enjoyable to keep. 20201129_115723.jpg

I've always loved amphibians. Started with fire belly toads, florida Gartner snake, anole, had a python at one point which was Amazing. I'd get another if I could. One major downside, the actual deal breaker. Live crickets. I'm a very light sleeper and the live crickets tortured me one to many nights.
Feeding the python live mice every friday night in my dorm room became quite the ritual. Fond memories. No crickets there... my wife sees me dropping a live little fluffer into a snake tank and I'll be homeless..

I've always loved amphibians. Started with fire belly toads, florida Gartner snake, anole, had a python at one point which was Amazing. I'd get another if I could. One major downside, the actual deal breaker. Live crickets. I'm a very light sleeper and the live crickets tortured me one to many nights.
Feeding the python live mice every friday night in my dorm room became quite the ritual. Fond memories. No crickets there... my wife sees me dropping a live little fluffer into a snake tank and I'll be homeless..

Lol I get that. They can make flightless fruit flys, why cants they make noiseless crickets?

I have breed roaches in the past for reptiles. Much easier in my opinion.

Lol I get that. They can make flightless fruit flys, why cants they make noiseless crickets?

Million dollar idea right there.

Fruit flies aren’t the basis for genetic testing for no reason. Their traits are very easy to manipulate! But I agree with brook on crickets keeping you up at night!

I used to have dart frogs which were amazing! I also had a Pac-Man frog that literally barely ever moved lol.

Fruit flies aren’t the basis for genetic testing for no reason. Their traits are very easy to manipulate! But I agree with brook on crickets keeping you up at night!

I used to have dart frogs which were amazing! I also had a Pac-Man frog that literally barely ever moved lol.
Right now I'm in the process of getting White's tree frogs. After that I plan on eventually having Amazon milk frogs, a couple of varieties of dart frogs, and probably fire belly toads also.

Between fish, reptiles and amphibians I feel like amphibians get the short end of the stick as far as publicity goes. They truly are wonderous creatures once you get to know them.

Only the adult crickets make noise. If you buy the smaller ones they are silent!

Dart frogs are something I'd like to try some day. I also really want an axolotl but being in Florida it would be too difficult to keep the tank cold enough for them.

Reptiles are fun too :) I have quite a few different kinds of reptiles.

Just wanted to say they have the little 12x12x12 exotera terrariums on sale on amazon. I bought 3 lol. Got them for $102 with tax.

I know they are too small for most animals but I have a few ideas of what I can do with them. Morning geckos in one for sure.

I have considered maybe a pacman frog in another. I've been told that it is big enough for fire bellies also but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway just thought I'd share incase anyone is interested.

Worked on this today.
Not ready for baby frogs yet but getting there.
20210226_012311.jpg20210226_010515.jpg20210226_010657.jpg20210226_010725.jpg20210226_010924.jpg

Looks great!
Thank you.
I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with it yet.
The mist/fog feature it's really not designed to work in such a small cup as I have it in. It uses all the water out of it quickly.

Also thinking about needing a few more ledges. Something for the frogs to perch on. I might see if I can work some sort of small wood structure into it.

I got my thermometer/hydrometers today and should be getting the main canopy light soon. I will be using some UVB for the frogs.

The plants I put in it well quickly outgrow the little enclosure but I do not believe that they will outgrow the little enclosure before the frogs do. Which if that is the case I will just transplant the plants into the large enclosure when I move the froglets. :)

I love creating habitats and experimenting with stuff.

What species are you putting in there?
Milk frogs for a couple of months.

After that idk. [emoji848]
I've been thinking I could do micro geckos or morning geckos.

Still looking into the possibility of fire bellies but idk yet on those. I see some say it would be fine and others that you really need a 20 gallon for them.

I've been looking on joshes frogs and there are several species of geckos that can fit in a 12x12.

Awesome!

Yeah there are definitely some smaller species of geckos that would work. I'm not a huge fan of those because they're so quick and easy to lose lol.

I have 5 fire bellies in a 40 breeder and they utilize every inch of that tank. I definitely wouldn't do them in less than a 20 long.

Awesome!

Yeah there are definitely some smaller species of geckos that would work. I'm not a huge fan of those because they're so quick and easy to lose lol.

I have 5 fire bellies in a 40 breeder and they utilize every inch of that tank. I definitely wouldn't do them in less than a 20 long.
That's what I was thinking.
They have bumblebee toads also that would work.
What I want to do is have one with a water feature. So some kind of frog, one that is more "jungle" and one that is desert. The there will be on a shelf together as a display.

I don't know if that's what I'll end up with but that was the inspiration when I bought them.

Bumblebee toads! I've always wanted to keep those. Awesome little guys.

That sounds like a super cool plan!

Back
Top Bottom