Getting married!!! Hawaii maybe New Zealand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Me and the fiance have for the last 6 months or so been trying to sit down and put together something for our wedding. We have went back and forth on a traditional style wedding and eloping (sp?)!!!

We visited several of the country clubs in the area and looked at some prices for the ceremony and the reception and this and that and the other ... and 8O 8O ... is really all I can say!

So we decided that if were going to spend 6-9 THOUSAND dollars on a wedding, why not do what WE want to do right? *BLEEP* the ceremony, *BLEEP* the reception, *BLEEP* trying to gather all the relatives spread across the US for a 2 day trip to FL. and let's go somewhere by ourselves!!!! We have narrowed it down to a couple places and really have our hearts set on one of them, but after looking at prices and legality issues we are considering something a little easier.

The two places we are considering are New Zealand and Hawaii. We have been looking on the web for sites that have package type deals and have really came up with some good stuff ... New Zealand looks AWESOME, but Hawaii is coming in a close 2nd. Thing is we have friends in Hawaii and wouldn't have to worry about finding witnesses and they would be willing to set up everything for us prior to us arriving. AND for what we spend to go to New Zealand for 8 days, we can go to Hawaii for 2 weeks.

We are really considering Hawaii, the island of Maui to be exact. And was wondering if anyone here (I Know we have a few peeps from HI) could recommend any tips or tricks? You know like good season to come to HI, Weather, when are there less touists to deal with, places to visit that are off the beaten path, tours that may be worth taking, places to DIVE, places to snorkel, any good restaraunts, bars ... etc etc etc!

WOW ... that was my longest post EVER!

Thanks in advance,
Jermz

What month? May have some bearing on where folks recommend. The wife and I just spent 6 nites and 7 days in an all-inclusive Jamaican resort and spent and spent less than $4k. Air and all. $9k sounds insane.

Thought about Mexico, where some of the best snorkelling is? Then again, you may have to worry about hurricane season if in the next couple of months.

We wouldn't be going until next year, May maybe April or Sooner??? who knows? that's why I wanna know the situation based on months of the year ... I hate being in crowds of tourists so I like slow season even if the weather is nasty.

Jamaica is out, Mexico is a no go ... I've been to just about every where in the Carribbean and Hawaii is really the only place I haven't been island wise.

6-9 thousand is what were looking at and that is for 2 weeks in Hawaii or 8 days in New Zealand. 9 Thousand is on the high side, but that would be including a NICE honeymoon suite and everything else. The car (Jeep in HI), air, food, drinks, ya know the usual.

I have absolutely no advice to give about Hawaii but I just wanted to say congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Like Austinsdad...the carribean has been done to death, though I would love to visit Jamaica since I've never been there.

Kudos to you Jermz :)

Ooooo. New Zealand. It would be Fall there if you went in the Spring. I'd pick New Zealand, it's not so "tourist-ty" either.

Kim

Thanks JC!!! my Kudos are climbing ... I gotta start givin some away! Jamaica is cool, bad thing is when you go they advise not leaving the resorts, unless your on some type of guided tour or like being mugged! When we went we visited Dunns River Falls and had a blast, but other than that we never left the resort. :cry:

I really want to do New Zealand, but I've heard that 8 days is just not enough time!
We looked at doing a tour around some of the places "The lord of the Rings" was shot ... and WOW 8O it really looked nice!

Thing is we are getting certified for scuba and really want to check out a place where we can go diving! I am sure you may be able to scuba in New Zealand, but for some reason the tropical setting of Hawaii keeps calling!!!! We'll have to see what happens, but the way I see it now is 2 weeks in HI, or 8 days in New Zealand??? I'll take 2 weeks! :lol:

ooooo, that sounds like so much fun and refreshingly different than the traditional wedding!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Either way, you will have the coolest wedding ever! Congrats to you and the soon-to-be Mrs. Jermz! :mrgreen:

The island of Maui is a more laid back island than Waikiki. The best time to go is from Jan to April. Of course it is more expensive to go in Jan or Feb being the high season, so I'd recommend late March. The island is beautiful, you won't regret it. I have been to both Maui and to the big island and Maui is my preference for quiet romantic relaxing. Although I took my husband to Waikiki for our honeymoon as he had never been anywhere exotic and it does offer more night life and shopping. Congratulations!

If price is your concern.

You could always do like my Uncle.

Get everyone together at the beach, Have a Notery marry you, Then head to a friends house for the reception.

It was a beautiful wedding, All for the cost of the hotel room, and the food at their friends house :p

Hell, since I am a Minister... I could marry you to ;)

Price is really no concern, but like I said why spend 6-9 thousand for eveyone else to enjoy ... Yeah I'm selfish!!! We thought about the whole beach thing William, but the hassles of getting a wedding together is becoming VERY stressful :silly: and me and the wifey are starting to think, wait why are we doing this for everyone else ... this is our day!

So yeah anyway, we are definitely going to Maui, we have some friends of ours that are going to be there for their honeymoon ... imagine that ... they won't be in Maui, but they said they will take a little day trip to come and witness for us! Now it comes down to getting everything booked and set.

WooT WooT .. I'm excited. :D

congrats Jermz!

we did the same thing on a MUCH smaller scale...we went from years of planning to "don't book anything for next Sunday, we're getting married after church".
It was perfect, everything came together beautifully, and I got to marry the man of my dreams after waiting 5 years.

Let us know how your plans pan out, we are all so excited for you!

Thanks tracy.
We are steering away from the church thing for a couple reasons ... I'm non-denominational, and my wife was married prior and had a legit divorce, but it isn't recognized by the Catholic church until she pays them $250 for some paperwork crap! SO yeah no church weddings, not that i have anyting against them ... just not for me!

Some might see my sig. and say hmmmmm ... But that serenity prayer was my life saver when my mother passed three years ago. Without that prayer, I probably wouldn't be around today!

HAWAII .... mmmmmm I can taste the cool frozen alcoholic drinks already!!! And is it true that Hawaiians love spam in a can? :D

Hey…don’t miss out on the adventure capital of the world! If it’s a fun filled adventure you are after, you cannot go wrong. We also have one of the top ten dive sites of the world! April is the beginning of autumn here in the upper South Island.

Good luck either way!

Thanks Vivienne ... I WILL one day get to New Zealand, it is a dream of mine! But for now we have decided on St. Lucia in January. Cost was too good to pass up and I have not been to St. Lucia so I figured why not!

Hawaii: I would recommend against the island of Oahu. Waikiki and the surrounding area is just a giant, urban tourist trap. Some people love it, but I think you may be disappointed if you are planning on honeymooning there. A friend in my office got married on the beach on Maui two months ago, and it sounded like a great, great time. She had only about a dozen or so (maybe a little less) of her and her husband's immediate family and closest friends, and that was it. Very informal ceremony on the beach, and if the pictures and her smiles are any clue, it was a great experience. Feel free to pm me if you want more information, and I will see what I can get for you if you are interested.

NZ: Never been there, but I bet it would be amazing if you can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom