Goldfish or blood parrot cichlid ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
What fish do you think is better to have ? Like which one is more interactive and gets more attached ? If you have any experience's with one or both than please tell me :)

Some goldfish look cool when they get big
Personally i find parrot cichlids get kind of ugly when they reach full adult size.
They CANNOT be
Mixed and goldfish dont require a heater
But goldfish are a little messier

Some goldfish look cool when they get big Personally i find parrot cichlids get kind of ugly when they reach full adult size. They CANNOT be Mixed and goldfish dont require a heater But goldfish are a little messier

Lol goldfish are really cute , people say that some have the same personalitys , and I know you can mix any tropical fish with a goldfish , except the ones that can handle the temps that goldfish can . And ya that's saves lots of money to not have to buy a heater

Some goldfish look cool when they get big Personally i find parrot cichlids get kind of ugly when they reach full adult size. They CANNOT be Mixed and goldfish dont require a heater But goldfish are a little messier

If I got a goldfish it would be an Oranda , they looks so funny but cute

Before getting an oranda look into ranchu lionheads

image-2916569823.jpg

Photo not by my and not owned by me but this is a perfect example

Before getting an oranda look into ranchu lionheads Photo not by my and not owned by me but this is a perfect example

Do you know a website that ships goldfish to Simi Valley under 30 dollars ? Or any stores next to Simi ?

Before getting an oranda look into ranchu lionheads Photo not by my and not owned by me but this is a perfect example

I found these on eBay they are all from the same breeder and are all 29.99 and 15.00 dollars for shipping

image-4281380415.jpg

Orange ranchu lion head , does it have something wrong with it ? It has a black spot on its head

image-1101099310.jpg

Blue ranchu lion head

image-1121604329.jpg

White ranchu lion head

Lol goldfish are really cute , people say that some have the same personalitys , and I know you can mix any tropical fish with a goldfish , except the ones that can handle the temps that goldfish can . And ya that's saves lots of money to not have to buy a heater

Can't ***** lol not can

I love both but I favor parrots more. They're so happy but also grumpy looking, they're also really silly. I also really like goldfish, ranchu's especially. Goldfish look silly when they swim. Like they waddle.

Goldfish. They take a bit more work in terms of water quality (they're supercharged poop-machines) but they have a lot more personality, variety and are better able to handle the surprise occurences that come with living in a fallible world. Just don't mix longbodies (commons, comets and shubunkins) with shortbodies because the longs are better swimmers and will out-eat the shorts to starvation.

For tanks, you should go by the general rule of 20 gallons for the first fish and an additional ten for every other. You can get away with a little less when they're babies but be prepared to upgrade since they grow FAST. Also, you don't need a full time heater but you should have one on hand. Goldfish (especially shorts) are prone to digestive issues like constipation, and raising the water temp a few degrees temporarily is one of the best ways to fix this.

They do best with large-grain gravel as a substrate. Naturally they're scavengers and you'll often see them "cleaning" the gravel, essentially scraping it with their mouths to eat any leftover food and poop on it. If they're in a sand tank there's a very good chance they'll eat a good bit of sand, eventually resulting in bowel impaction and very often a fatal rupture. Another thing you never hear about beforehand is that you should be prepared to perform emergency "dental surgery" when they get a piece of gravel stuck in their mouth that won't come out. All you need to do is remove the fish, put him in a shallow container full of water (like a betta cup) and carefully remove it with tweezers. It's a lot more nerve-wracking than it is dangerous.

That's interesting Johnny. I have frequently heard that sand or fine gravel is the safest substrate for goldfish.
As for goldfish species- the pearlscales are my favourites. They have stacks of personality, but from my (admittedly limited) experience, what makes them so hilarious to watch is the combination of enthusiasm and clumsy movement. Lol

I'll agree that pearlscales are adorable but I feel bad that they exist since the genetic mutations that give them their qualities so severely inhibit their quality of life (the same could be said for ryukins or ranchus I suppose but pearlscales just seem to have it a lot harder than most any goldfish, excepting bubble-eyes)

I'll agree that pearlscales are adorable but I feel bad that they exist since the genetic mutations that give them their qualities so severely inhibit their quality of life (the same could be said for ryukins or ranchus I suppose but pearlscales just seem to have it a lot harder than most any goldfish, excepting bubble-eyes)

Mine wasn't disabled by its genetics- maybe mine was from a 'bad' breeder who didn't line breed to emphasize those traits. I think breeding fish with deformities like no dorsal fin or eyes that can only see upwards is worse. The only thing that my pearlscales suffered from was my inexperience :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom