Good Apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrod4UA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know of a good IPhone app that identifies fish and their living conditions in aquariums? And also what fish are good with other fish?

I've looked through all the fish apps on the AppStore, and unfortunately they all cost money and don't sound very good according to the preview and the reviews. The best app is probably the one you're using right now on your phone! :)

What kind of fish do you have in mind?

Well right now I have four swordtails, one Cory and a irendecent shark. I was thinking of getting an peacock eel?!?

Jarrod4UA said:
Well right now I have four swordtails, one Cory and a irendecent shark. I was thinking of getting an peacock eel?!?

What size tank do you have? Just out of curiosity do you know how big that iridescent shark gets?! Here's a little info:

Scientific Name : Pangasius hypophthalmus
Common Names : Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish, Sutchi Catfish, Striped Catfish, Thailand Catfish

Care Level : Moderate, needs a huge tank

Size : 47 inches (120 cm) - almost 4 feet in total length!

pH : 6.5 - 7.5

Temperature : 72°F - 79°F (22°C - 26°C)

Water Hardness : 2° to 20° dH,

Life span : 10 years, maybe much longer

Origin / Habitat : Asia, Thailand

Temperament / Behavior : Can be quite skittish, nervous and may not bother tank mates as juveniles. May eat smaller fish as it starts to reach adult size.

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : Not common in the home aquairum. Breeding has taken place at aquaculture farms and ponds.

Tank Size : 300 gallon, preferrably much larger

Compatible Tank Mates : Not many, similar sized species perhaps.

Fish Disease : Freshwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment

Diet / Fish Food : Omnivorous, meaning that they should go after whatever you place in the tank. Give them a well balanced healthy diet consisting of both meaty and green foods. When they are smaller you should give them flakes and occasionally Algae Wafers that sink to the bottom of the tank. Catfish pellets can be used as they start to grow into adults.

Tank Region : All over, mostly middle of the tank though.

Attachments

• image-3587307200.jpg
    image-3587307200.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 130
What size tank do you have? Just out of curiosity do you know how big that iridescent shark gets?! Here's a little info:

Scientific Name : Pangasius hypophthalmus
Common Names : Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish, Sutchi Catfish, Striped Catfish, Thailand Catfish

Care Level : Moderate, needs a huge tank

Size : 47 inches (120 cm) - almost 4 feet in total length!

pH : 6.5 - 7.5

Temperature : 72°F - 79°F (22°C - 26°C)

Water Hardness : 2° to 20° dH,

Life span : 10 years, maybe much longer

Origin / Habitat : Asia, Thailand

Temperament / Behavior : Can be quite skittish, nervous and may not bother tank mates as juveniles. May eat smaller fish as it starts to reach adult size.

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : Not common in the home aquairum. Breeding has taken place at aquaculture farms and ponds.

Tank Size : 300 gallon, preferrably much larger

Compatible Tank Mates : Not many, similar sized species perhaps.

Fish Disease : Freshwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment

Diet / Fish Food : Omnivorous, meaning that they should go after whatever you place in the tank. Give them a well balanced healthy diet consisting of both meaty and green foods. When they are smaller you should give them flakes and occasionally Algae Wafers that sink to the bottom of the tank. Catfish pellets can be used as they start to grow into adults.

Tank Region : All over, mostly middle of the tank though.

you need a lot more than a 300 gallon tank to keep one of these guys. try 1000 gallon minimum.

Mogurako said:
Tank Size : 300 gallon, preferrably much larger .

Says right there PREFERABLY more. I was just providing the OP some information to to help him/her understand how big these fish actually get not providing a detailed care guide so don't go and nitpick the small details. They will be fine in a 300 gallon for quite some time but will need a bigger pond like tank at adult size.

Says right there PREFERABLY more. I was just providing the OP some information to to help him/her understand how big these fish actually get not providing a detailed care guide so don't go and nitpick the small details. They will be fine in a 300 gallon for quite some time but will need a bigger pond like tank at adult size.
yes,but just because it can live in a 300 gallon tank when it is young,doesnt mean its the minimum tank size. just trying to help.

Ok well it is defenatly not that kind of shark. This is a pic of him.

Attachments

• image-156687029.jpg
    image-156687029.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 100
alLexX said:
yes,but just because it can live in a 300 gallon tank when it is young,doesnt mean its the minimum tank size. just trying to help.

Chances are the OP isn't going to buy a 300 gallon tank or build a large pond so I guess both of our points are mute.

Jarrod4UA said:
Ok well it is defenatly not that kind of shark. This is a pic of him.

Can you get a side view? It looks like a Hexanematichthys seemanni "Columbian shark" from the front. Those fish also get quite large about 8-10"

I've been trying to arch him out to get a better pic, but he likes his cover.

Back
Top Bottom