Good PC games?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Now that summer is here, I have a little more free time to goof off (aside from summer school and the gym). But when I goof off, I like to at least feel productive, so I wanted to buy a new PC game.. but after looking at several games at amazon.com.. I have NO clue what I want.

The type of games I like are sim games- like The Sims (and all their expansions) and Zoo Tycoon. I don't like Roller Coaster Tycoon (well, the first one) or Sim City. I like more direct involvement.

I remember some people talking about Black and White, but after the amazon reviews (about how the game has bugs and such) I don't know if I want it, or the second version.

Any suggestions =o)

Evil Genius is a pretty fun Sim-ish game that should be pretty cheap now (it came out a while ago) Not sure what your budget is like nor your PC specs but you could always go the MMO route with WOW :) although that game can get crazily addictive

Impossible Creatures is really cool. You get to genetically engineer critters.

Zoo Tycoon 2 is really cool and their's 2 expansion packs for them now.

Warcraft is fun

Rejoice said:
Impossible Creatures is really cool. You get to genetically engineer critters.
That game is pretty old now. I used to play it but got bored with it after awhile.

If you'd like to try a somewhat similar game to WoW that you don't have to pay every month for, Guild Wars is pretty good IMO.

The Sims 2 is pretty fun as well.

RPGs (if you really want to eat up time):
Morrowind Oblivion
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars

FPS
Day of Defeat:Source (WW2 fps, my personal favorite)
Counter-Strike: Source
Halflife 2

RTS
Starcraft (Classic)
Warcraft III

I tend to stay away from single player games, opting instead for the fun of playing with real people. My two favorite games are World of Warcraft and Day of Defeat. I don't have time for WoW, but play DoD on a regular basis. If you do decide to try Day of Defeat, buy it online from Steam instead of from a store.

What about City of Heroes or Villians. I played the 1st one "heroes" and it was pretty fun.

BillyZ said:
tbonem91 said:
I honestly cant wait for Spore to come out :)

Spore looks absolutely unbelievable and certainly fills the Sim genre! It just might be enough to pull me away from world of warcarft... at least until the shakes set in!

what server you play on Billy? My acct is currently inactive but I plan on reactivating it again soon... decided to take a break from it for a while :)

Billy and I both play on Argent Dawn for Alliance side. its pretty crowded though.

I too vote for World of Warcraft...its not exactly a Sim, but if you ever played AD&D and thought it'd be more fun without dice rolls...well, that's a WoW type game for you.

I think there's a way to try it free 10 days before you have to buy the boxed game, which comes with 1 month of play.

Yes there are 10 day free trials with a code from an existing player. You download the game from their site and can play for 10 days. But to keep playing afterwards you would have to buy the full version of the game from the store (but you won't have to re-install).

If anyone is interested in a 10 day trial just send me a PM and I'll get you the info!

Thanks everyone for the information! I love how everyone used abbreviations, if I weren't a smart girl, I might have problems reading a few of your comments hehe.

lyquidphyre said:
Thanks everyone for the information! I love how everyone used abbreviations, if I weren't a smart girl, I might have problems reading a few of your comments hehe.

lol hth imo mmos are gr8 atm but bad for rl... fps' pwn n00bz and rts are good unless u like pvp... although you dont have to worry about ld issues and lag.

:)

World of Warcraft- Be sure to read the warning before you decide to pick it up. Here.. Got my copy. I'll type it for you

WoW- Warning may cause Insomnia, lack of hygiene, Amnesia, itching, as well as many other things. There has been serious but rare cases of stroke, heart attack, and colon cancer. Please consult a doctor to find out if Blizzard's world of warcraft is alright for you.

There, had to intervene lest I be charged with depraved indifference.

yeah, once you get involved in playing MMO's (Massive Multiplayer Online games) you learn all the abbreviations that are common:

noob sauce
OMG PWND
Aggro!
Rez pls
Buff me!
More DOTS!
g2g
afk brb bio

Then you have to learn all the lingo specific to the game. in World of Warcraft, that's mostly related to the special dungeons like Molten Core, Zul Ga'rub, Black Wing Lair (Leeeroy Jenkins!) etc. all referred to as MC, ZG, BWL...and don't forget UBRS, LBRS, BRD, DM North, West and East, not to mention DM tribute runs, Baron 45min runs, Scarlet Strat, Scholo....blah blah blah.

People either don't get into MMO's, or they get addicted.

I don't want something TOO addicting, I do have summer school and school in the fall hehe.

I just want something, single player, to keep me entertained *nod*

Minus 50 dkp on you BillyZ for coming up with a better quote!

Good single player...I heard good stuff about Morrowind and Elder Scrolls.

Then you have to learn all the lingo specific to the game. in World of Warcraft, that's mostly related to the special dungeons like Molten Core, Zul Ga'rub, Black Wing Lair (Leeeroy Jenkins!) etc. all referred to as MC, ZG, BWL...and don't forget UBRS, LBRS, BRD, DM North, West and East, not to mention DM tribute runs, Baron 45min runs, Scarlet Strat, Scholo....blah blah blah.

Makes me want to fire up my account again--NO Mike NO, new motorcycle, new house, you have too much to live for!!!

OK, I don't want to play anymore.

Yes I do.

shawmutt said:

Makes me want to fire up my account again--NO Mike NO, new motorcycle, new house, you have too much to live for!!!

OK, I don't want to play anymore.

Yes I do.

DooOOOOooOOOO it! :) I'm reactivating mine this week I think - the new stuff coming out looks sweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom