Gourami as food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where I used to live in the cities, my local multi- national market, sells snakeskin gourami in the frozen food section! Well I'm not disgusted just that The gourami fish are one of my fav type of fw fish. I was shocked that these awesome fish are consumable.
I remember picking one up that was packed up and frozen and was looking at it and said to myself, oh u poor fish, I have one alive at home now in my 10 gal!

image-1814608120.jpg

image-1459243947.jpg

What're your thoughts aa??

That would be cool, I would like to taste the fish I own! :hide:

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion lol

I don't find it to be that wrong. I kinda relate the Gourami family with Asia like I think of Sunfish and the U.S. Some people keep fish from these families in aquaria, but they also eat them!

Well tilapia are one of the biggest food fish in Asia and getting more popular by the day.They are some of the most beautiful cichlids on the planet but one mans pet is another mans food.Its a hard fact of life....

i'm not surprised either. people eat what's around them, and in their case it just so happens to be something owned here lol. it's kind of like how nobody in the US would ever think of eating a guinea pig, yet they are a staple in a lot of places.

Fishnova said:
That would be cool, I would like to taste the fish I own! :hide:

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion lol

Sometimes I think like that too. But when I think about what I feed them, it destroys the taste buds. It'd be almost like eating he fish food itself. Well that's how I think.

garfy said:
Well tilapia are one of the biggest food fish in Asia and getting more popular by the day.They are some of the most beautiful cichlids on the planet but one mans pet is another mans food.Its a hard fact of life....

I see them everywhere in stores too.
I think it's more sad to see them live being sold.

garfy said:

Mmmmm, tilapia is one of my favorite fish to eat. I just let myself forget they're cichlids, haha.

jetajockey said:
Same thing with Oscars, they are a food fish in SA. Oscars are an invasive species here in Florida as well and are currently the #2 most popular freshwater game fish.

Wow I nvr knew that about oscars, I always wondered why they were never kept w/ other chiclids. Who would've thought they are an invasive species too!

There's a few on the invasive list here. The climate in south florida is tropical so a lot of cichlids fit in just fine. There are regular reports of oscars, jack dempseys, jaguars, and many others being caught there.

Back
Top Bottom