Green algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeanne3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a green algae bloom in my tank it’s not that new I set it up at the end of December. I recently just changed the filter and realized the water was really cloudy. It has now turned green. I’m not sure what to do. I read something about a UV filter or something? Any tips

Attachments

• EA82CC96-84D2-4BC9-9584-897E15314BF6.jpg
    EA82CC96-84D2-4BC9-9584-897E15314BF6.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 48
A UV filter should clear up your green water, but it wont solve the root cause.

Green water is usually caused by too much light or high levels of nitrate and/or phosphate which in turn is down to overstocking, overfeeding and/or insuffucient tank maintenance.

I do regular water changes about 25% weekly, I checked the water and its 0 for nitrite and nitrate .Could it have something to do with me messing around with the filter and removing the foam. I didn’t realize that that’s one of the worst things to do. I’m not sure if my tank was fully cycled yet. There also isn’t that many fish in there. It’s a 30 gallon and there’s 4 honey gourami 2 adult guppy’s 6 baby guppys and 6 rummy nose tetras. Will the green algae go away on its own. Would adding pothos help in any way??

Hi Leanne3, I had exactly this problem several years ago. I tried everything but failed, until installing an inline UV light hidden inside a cupboard below the aquarium. After 4 days the tank changed from green to white bloom! But when I added a flocculent, and returned 30 minutes later, the tank was crystal clear! I guarantee this will work for you. I tried covering tank for days, adding daphnia inside a meshed container to protect from fish, tried adding a flocculent on its own. None worked. I have never had this problem again, but if I ever do, my UV will be turned back on! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom