Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Green algae bloom

I have a green algae bloom in my tank itís not that new I set it up at the end of December. I recently just changed the filter and realized the water was really cloudy. It has now turned green. Iím not sure what to do. I read something about a UV filter or something? Any tips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA82CC96-84D2-4BC9-9584-897E15314BF6.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	320724  

Old 05-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A UV filter should clear up your green water, but it wont solve the root cause.

Green water is usually caused by too much light or high levels of nitrate and/or phosphate which in turn is down to overstocking, overfeeding and/or insuffucient tank maintenance.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I do regular water changes about 25% weekly, I checked the water and its 0 for nitrite and nitrate .Could it have something to do with me messing around with the filter and removing the foam. I didn’t realize that that’s one of the worst things to do. I’m not sure if my tank was fully cycled yet. There also isn’t that many fish in there. It’s a 30 gallon and there’s 4 honey gourami 2 adult guppy’s 6 baby guppys and 6 rummy nose tetras. Will the green algae go away on its own. Would adding pothos help in any way??
Old 05-06-2021, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Probably caused by an ammonia spike.

Yes, likely the filter being changed, you threw out the filter? That's the main location of the ​beneficial bacteria.

Fish In cycling info
The article in my signature has some good tips and info, and explains about the nitrification cycle.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...fish-what-now/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishi...tep-dark-side/

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi Leanne3, I had exactly this problem several years ago. I tried everything but failed, until installing an inline UV light hidden inside a cupboard below the aquarium. After 4 days the tank changed from green to white bloom! But when I added a flocculent, and returned 30 minutes later, the tank was crystal clear! I guarantee this will work for you. I tried covering tank for days, adding daphnia inside a meshed container to protect from fish, tried adding a flocculent on its own. None worked. I have never had this problem again, but if I ever do, my UV will be turned back on! Good luck.

Tags
algae, algae bloom, bloom, green, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com