Had to put my kitty down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Spoiler: Death of a pet.
Today I had to put my sweet kitty down. :bawl:

He's been throwing up all the time because of a problem with his esophagus. This has been going on almost since I picked him up from the animal shelter. There wasn't any surgery or medication that would help him. I'd had x-rays taken, I had a 2nd vet take a look at him. He had lost 2 pounds in a year which wasn't any good. The condition would only get worse. I came to terms that eventually I'd have to put him down. Yesterday he threw up 3 times in the space of an hour and that has to feel lousy. :(

The vet was very kind.

When I drove my kitty home from the shelter 3+ years he purred in the carrier. I think he knew that this would be his forever home. He would never have to go to the shelter again.

I thanked my kitty for being my pet and my friend. I told him that I tried to give him the best home possible and the vet assured me that I did give him a good home. I cried and I pet and kissed him while he slowly passed away.

I brought him home in a box. My mother sat with me. My dad and my brother came over and helped me dig a grave. He is buried next to the kitty I had before. :(

I feel very sad of course. :( :bawl: It is so hard to lose a pet. Some people don't keep pets because they can't bear saying goodbye. I'm not like that. I feel so honored that this kitty trusted me and enjoyed my company. The long years of pleasure outweigh the pain of saying goodbye.

Thanks for listening.
coolchinchilla and the zoo (minus one cat)

so sorry to hear about your loss...

CATBED IN THE SKY

I thought that you might like to know I got here safe and sound
Though you must feel rather strange not having me around;
Of course, I am not really gone, I've just moved out of sight,
And I don't need that old body, things had stopped working right

. Sometimes I'm sorely tempted, to pop back down and see,
Just how you are managing, without any help from me,
But I'm sure that you will understand I can't come back to stay,
Though I have it on good authority that we'll meet again some day.

The chow up here's delicious - Ambrosia brand, it's named,
Once you've tasted this stuff, Friskies won't taste the same,
And where do they get this nectar, which thick and creamy comes,
It's not like other dairy products cos it don't give me the runs.

I haven't found the litter tray, and THIS perplexes me,
That however much I wolf down, I never have to pee.
But there are other plus points, which cannot be ignored,
My claws have all come back again and there are drapes here to be clawed.

Another little oddity, that leaves me quite astounded,
Underneath my tail end are two lumps, furry and rounded -
I can't remember having them, when I lived down there with you,
And up here, all I can say - I've not figured out their use.

Oh yes - I've got a comfy bed, just like mine down there at home,
So things here are quite adequate, I cannot gripe or groan;
But while I'm up here waiting, in my cat bed in the sky,
I'll regularly look in on you, and keep a watchful eye.

Author: Unknown

i am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is so hard putting a pet down, but I agree, the years of happiness spent together and the best way to go is at the hands of a loved one with as little pain as possible.

RIP kitty

I have always had dogs. My current is a 14 year old Golden Retriever. She is also spoiled ,but is the funniest dog Ive ever had. Funny ways , funny sounds etc. I know the day will come ..... well it must come but I dont like thinking about it. Remember your lost pet and you will always have her with you. Sorry for you loss.

Thanks everyone. It helps. Thank you.

coolchinchilla & the zoo (minus one cat)

So sorry for your loss. :(
We lost out dog of 11 years earlier in the year, so I know how you feel.
Your kitty will always be with you in your heart.

OMG I am so sorry, I feel your pain. It is the worst thing in the world to lose a family member like that. I commend you for loving your kitty enough to choose to make the humane decision, it is so hard but sometimes if it is necessary we choose what is best for them. Kudos to you for being so unselfish. And I am sure your kitty was happy and grateful for the day you took him home.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Just wanted to tell you how very sorry I am for your loss. I know exactly how it feels to lose a pet that you love so much. :cry:

Wow... Thanks everyone for your warm support. Fish people must be the most compassionate people around. This helps so much. Thank you.

coolchinchilla and the zoo (minus one cat)

sorry to hear that. That's life, its got its ups and downs but hopefully there are more ups than downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom