has anyone collected wild aquatic plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
have anyone gone out to their local lakes, ponds, rivers, and or creeks and collected wild plants from them for your aquarium??
I have recently been fising a lot and been to a few lakes and rivers. spotted a variety of plants such as frogbits, cambobas, and lilys.
I fished in minnesota, wisconsin, and georgia. of course the whole aquatic planting thing started with out in the feild research, collecting them, quaratine them, then add it into the aquarium.
since there are aquatic plants out there locally, wouldnt this be a great opportunity to get some free plants?? although it may be free I still wonder if it were to be accomplished, will it damage the ecosystem or what ever reason it might be of use for. but just by getting a small amount. I guess there wouldnt be any harm....
I would really like to get my hands on some wild frogbits too. thing is, I have no tanks now and I dont know if they will be there all season long.

Yes grab some for yourself and do a peroxide dip I have done it before but for my plant only tank but a peroxide dip should make it perfectly safe

ryan-peddle said:
Yes grab some for yourself and do a peroxide dip I have done it before but for my plant only tank but a peroxide dip should make it perfectly safe

thats great. what kind of plants did you find?

There is a little more to it than that. You need to check local laws and ordanancies in regards to wild plant collection. In some states at least collecting is against the law, on some public land it may also be illegal, certainly on private land permission from the landowner is required at a minimum. Don't just go and start collecting without checking. Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to getting a ticket or fine.

Back
Top Bottom