Has anyone ever made this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's easter weekend and I am in charge of this years "Bunny Cake". This sounds simple enough, right? I have never made one before but this year, the torch has been passed down to me. So today I slaved for at least 5 hours on this cake. I think it looks pretty darn good. As I was walking through Wal-Mart getting all of the ingredients, someone asked me if I was making the "Bunny Cake". Is this something that is made world wide? I have never heard of this cake before outside of our family circle. Does anyone else make it?

I've posted a pic. It is covered in saran wrap with toothpicks all over it. I didn't want to mess up the icing that took the BULK of the time. I would uncover it for the pic, but the saran wrap is taped to the bottom and there is noway that I am touching this cake until it is time to put it in the car for the drive to my parents house. Even then, my fiance will hold it the entire time. :D

terrific, i never heard of the "Bunny Cake"

looks like you had alot of "fun" making it

can i have a piece? *takes cake and runs away*

It was VERY challenging to make. I have never actually seen one made before and didn't know how much work it takes to make one. If anyone is interested, it is easy to make, hard to decorate. Basically you make 2 round cakes (1 cake box), I used Carrot Cake (only because it's easter and bunnies eat carrots....ok ok, I know, Corny), and you let them cool. Then you cut the ears out of one of the round cakes using the edges of the cake as one side of the ear. It will take some patience to get them even. I cut out one ear, then evened it up on the other side of the cake and used it as a guide to the other ear. After you have your cake setup, icing the entrie thing white, taking care not to mix in any bits of cake into icing. This is especially difficult on the cut side of the ears. This will take a lot of patience and icing. If you are using canned icing, use 2 containers. You will have leftovers, but 1 can is NOT enough. After icing the cake, mix about a 1/2 cup of white icing with red food dye, making it pink. Then fill in the ears. After that, place candy to make the face. I used Jelly Beans as the eyes, string licorice as the face/wiskers, and those strawberry swirl things as the nose. THEN, mix up Coconut with green food dye and position it completly around the cake as a boarder. This hides all of the icing that got onto the cake plate/board and looks really pretty. Lastly, place Jelly Beans in the "grass" as little easter eggs. It's as simple as that! Takes time, but looks VERY cute.

Cool...I have, in years past, made a few bunny cakes that were designed to look like actual rabbits lying in the grass (fine shredded coconut makes for great 'fur').

Whats the purpose of the cake? Clearly it looks like just a holiday themed cake. For a while I was thinking it was some kind of thing you made for the easter bunny. U know like cookies for santa.

My family makes the bunny cake every year...although your seems to have turned out better then mine did last year, FishyFanatic. :wink:

This year, my grandmother has the honors. I'm making cupcakes with pink and green sprinkles on them. :D

Thank you Devil! The mouth is supposed to be black licorice, but noone in the house eats black licorice so I didn't see the point in buying it. My mom sometimes used coconut as the "fur" but I didn't think coconut and carrot cake would taste too good together.

Very well done!!! I do cake decorating on the side (afraid if I made a *job* of it it wouldn't be as much fun anymore, KWIM?) and your little bunny is VERY cute :D I have done this style and also the one which looks like an actual rabbit (you take one round cake, cut in half, sandwich the halves and put the "flat"/cut side down so you have a little bunny body) in grass.....you did a great job on your little guy!

I've heard of the bunny cake before, and I've seen pictures in magazines, but I've really never seen a picture look as good as yours, Fishyfanatic! That is excellent! I love how you made the nose with the little peppermint candy. It's always good to get a picture of your creation, too! Next year, when you make it again, you'll be an old pro at it!

*Returns cake accidently taken by Rudy*

FF, I am very impressed with your baking skill! Though I've never heard of the Bunny Cake, I am familiar with cakes using this method. Just want you to know that you've done nothing to help my diet (LOL).

*Save me a piece!!!*

I bet that when the folks at walmart asked if you were making a easter bunny cake they showed you the various models you can buy pre-made and decided to show it off as your own. Im just kidding of course but it does like a cake you could only buy at a higher priced bakery. By the way, my mom used to bring cakes home, get rid of all the packaging, place it on a tray and tell everyone she'd slaved all day over it just so we could eat it 3 minutes or less. I'm still amazed at how good of a job you've done there.... Congrats and I hope the car ride treats it well.

Thank you everyone! I am pretty proud of the little creation. I actually used to compete in baking competitions and the highest I ever ranked was 4th in the state. But that was a LONG time ago. My problem is, I do not have the slightest bit of creativity in my body.

Mazda- My fiance's mother is convinced that I bought it at a bakery and am pawning it off as my own. Next time I make one, I will be sure to take pictures of the entire process so she actually believes me. My mother also does the "Bakery cooking" thing too. She buys pies from the store and takes them to holidays and tells everyone that she made them. it's kind of funny because one year the store had put the ingredient sticker on the bottom of the tin and when my aunt picked it up she noticed it and called her out on it. My mom played it off as she wanted everyone to know what ingredients were in the pie in case there were food allergy issues. Oh geez, it is a pecan pie! :D

I really appreciate everyone's compliments. I guess the cake is actually something that many people make.

One of my friends growing up was born around Easter, so her B-Day cake was always the Bunny Cake. Her mom used coconut sprinkled over the top to give it a furry look.

JG

I come from a long line of bunny cake makers, here, and icing them is probably the most difficult thing about them. You are trying to get icing on the cut edges, which crumble and are tricky to ice. The trick is to bake your cake, cut it out, and then freeze the pieces. Ice it frozen and it is so much easier to handle.

I use coconut too, except for the bow tie, which is what you can do with the piece in between the two ears that is leftover.

I have never made the bunny cake, but I am for sure going to try it next year. That is TOO cute!

My sister in law made it with the bow tie this year and it looked cute. But of course, mine was prettier. Then again, I am bias. :D

Yours is extremely neat and very well done, so you should be very proud of your creation!

My mother used to use that plastic grass you use in baskets under the cake until everyone got sick of picking it out of the icing, so one day she finally started using green colored coconut, and that really is a nice touch.

Yes, the coconut dyed green looks just like grass. James' fingers were green for two days though (he mixed up the food coloring and coconut). That was his ONLY contribution. Well, no, that's not true. He DID walk in the house with it and announce that HIS cake looked gorgeous! :D :D Poor guy, can't even make a frozen pizza without screwing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom