Help Me Choose A QT Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Background Do You Like The Best?

Votes: 2 6.1%

Votes: 4 12.1%

Votes: 6 18.2%

Votes: 5 15.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.0%

Votes: 3 9.1%

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McLumpy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Help Me Choose A Background

After recently purchasing a 10 gallon tank that will be used as a quarantine tank I thought that it would be fun to do something creative.

However, seeing as how substrate and mass amounts of decor/plants/rocks are not recommended for a QT, that leaves very little room for creativity. What I would really like to do is make my fish feel at home, so I decided to go with a unique background.

My problem is I can't decide which background design would look best. I figured I would ask the great people of AA to help me decide on a background.

If you could please take a moment to look through the backgrounds and vote for the one you like the best, that would be great! After the poll closes, I will get the background printed, apply it to the finished QT, and post a pic so that everyone can see the end result.

TIA for everyone's vote and input! :D

Attachments

• Backgrounds1-4.jpg
    Backgrounds1-4.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Backgrounds5-8.jpg
    Backgrounds5-8.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 224
  • Backgrounds9-12.jpg
    Backgrounds9-12.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Backgrounds13-14.jpg
    Backgrounds13-14.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 266
I personally would pick one that has no fish, some fish will get stressed by a mirror or a photo of a fish.

I personally would pick one that has no fish, some fish will get stressed by a mirror or a photo of a fish.

Excellent point... I didn't think about that. :oops:

I figured by having fish in the background that would help make the fish in the QT feel more comfortable and not so lonely. But your point makes sense. Thank you for your input! (y)

Oh and there are portions of some of the backgrounds that I cropped out that don't include any fish. So if anyone likes the background, but agree that the fish would not be a good idea, I can more than likely recrop it to where the fish are left out.

Wait, what about turtles? The one w/ the turtles is beautiful! I guess I can always crop them out too if that one ends up being the winner. ;)

I'd go for the greenery scene in the bottom left to the second pic, printed to a high quality that pic would add nice depth to a small tank :)

Turtles I believe would be fine. Mostly fish are aggressive to fish that are they same size/type as them that would be competing for food of the same type, or if the fish are larger then they would be stressed about being eaten.

I'd go with 5 or 6. The rock background is nice and is not too distracting or busy. I think its harder to see the fish when there is too much going on in the background.

Thank you for all your votes and input, guys... keep 'em coming! (y)

Btw, I did a test print of #5 yesterday, (in black and white), and the resolution is less than perfect, (similar to some you see in LFS's), but it looked pretty cool behind the tank! :D

It is nice to get creative, but I would look for something that would optimize the natural color of the fish QT. It would help you identify problems much easier. Just my two cents. :)

It is nice to get creative, but I would look for something that would optimize the natural color of the fish QT. It would help you identify problems much easier. Just my two cents. :)

You're a cups-half-empty type of person, aren't ya? :p

Btw, in case anyone is wondering, this background will not be permanently affixed and can be easily removed in a matter of seconds... so keep that in mind when voting. :D

draw a picture and put it as your background... doesnt get much more creative than that... alright ill shut up... i voted for 3

Sorry McL I voted number 1 as I love the light effect, then I spotted the fish that I hadn't seen (due to the small iPhone display and my eyesight :rolleyes: ). Sorry to skew the results, but can you change my vote from background 1 to 2?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Sorry McL I voted number 1 as I love the light effect, then I spotted the fish that I hadn't seen (due to the small iPhone display and my eyesight :rolleyes: ). Sorry to skew the results, but can you change my vote from background 1 to 2?
Thanks

Sadly, I don't have the ability to change votes, (I'm lacking the mighty mod power). I will, however, use my vote towards number 2 for you. But, fish shouldn't deter you from voting for the design if you truly like it. As I mentioned in an earilier post, I can more than likely crop out the fish. :D

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the results being messed up. This is more of a fun thread to see what design is deemed most popular with the masses.

McLumpy said:
Sadly, I don't have the ability to change votes, (I'm lacking the mighty mod power). I will, however, use my vote towards number 2 for you. But, fish shouldn't deter you from voting for the design if you truly like it. As I mentioned in an earilier post, I can more than likely crop out the fish. :D

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the results being messed up. This is more of a fun thread to see what design is deemed most popular with the masses.

I guess you could always Photoshop that fish out! I which case my vote for number 1 still stands :)

Poll Closing Early

Well, I got my QT set up faster than I thought, so I've decided to close this poll early. It will still show up as being open until 3/12, but I'll be going w/ the background voted most popular on 2/25 11:00 PM (CST) .

One of the main reasons I'm doing this is because I will only have my fish in the QT for another 3 weeks, (that is if I don't have an issue), and it will take some time to print the background. Seeing as how I wanted to post a pic of the entire setup, (fish included), closing the poll early will make things easier.

So, um, hurry up and VOTE! :D In the interim, I will get my template prepared for printing.

Oh, just a reminder, the February pic polls are up too and there are some really cool photos! Be sure to check them out and vote! :D

Great idea with the the background! I really really like 3, 4, 5, and 11! Those are some awesome backgrounds :)
Lol, I'm having trouble deciding, too!

In the end, I voted for 11 because I thought it was very unique, cool looking, and adds a lot of depth all at the same time. 3 is so cool looking, but didn't seem natural to me for an underwater environment. 4 is another nice greenery scene. I liked five at first, mainly because the rock is nice and it makes the fish stand out more, but figured that as long as your going with a unique, awesome looking background, go for #11! It's COOL :)

Thank you for the votes Mandy and Tracey! :D

If anyone would like to use the backgrounds, just PM me and I will give you the link to my photobucket, (I would prefer to do it this way in lieu of publishing the link).

Keep in mind that I cannot take credit for the photos. They were found by doing an extensive google search so I don't know if they are copyrighted or not. With that being said, I ask that you respect the photographers and only print the photos for personal use.

Also, the resolution isn't the best, so they wouldn't look too good on a tank bigger than 10 gallons. So if anyone wants to dress up their small tanks, (or even use the backgrounds as their wallpaper on their computer), feel free to contact me.

There's something serene about #14...but if the fish in it are a problem, then maybe you can crop them out?

Back
Top Bottom