Help!! My cat pooped in my linen closet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have NO idea how long she has been in there, or how she got locked in, but she was in there long enough to tear up some of my craft stuff I had in there and deposit a HUGE doo. Now my linen closet STINKS! What do I do??? I took out everything that could have possibly come in contact with the offensive matter and threw it out.
The cat, Fidget, is fine. My husband thinks he saw her before he came to bed this morning, but he was asleep when I asked him. I am thinking my daughter might have locked her in on accident, but she cant remember getting into that closet.
Ugh! It stinks!!!

I absolutely can not STAND the idea that there was cat poo in there. Its driving me nuts. I pulled out everything (the closet needed reorganizing anyway) and sprayed down the whole closet with lysol. All the rest of my sheets and things are poo free, thank goodness. :uhoh:

Eeeeew! :(

Get a box of scented anti-static/fabric softener sheets (Bounce, Downy, etc). Hang a few in the closet, and slip a few between your linens. Those things do wonders when I come home from a long weekend and find that my male pet mice had a pissing contest while I was gone!

Well, I have to say, if one of our cats got locked in a closet, WE would hear it!

Now, the main thing is carpet cleaner (obviously) but a good scent product would be your only other real good solution.

Either that or a GREAT disenfecting cleaner

If this happened to me, I'd do what you did with the Lysol and then I'd get a large roll of shelf liner and cover the shelves with liner paper. You can get nonstick, semi-sticky and fully sticky, depending on how permanent you want to get.

"New" surfaces would probably help me feel okay about using the closet again. Maybe use very strong tape (like duct tape) over the bolt of the doorknob so it won't go into the strikeplate - you won't be able to shut the door completely but the cat won't get trapped again.

Start with an enzymatic cleaner specifically for cat fæces (available at most larger/better pet shops), then hit it with a high-quality citrus-oil based cleanser....then use the air fresheners, etc.

everything that could have possibly come in contact with the offensive matter and threw it out.
WHAT A WASTE!!! It's only POO !!! Just Wash it !!
Have you ever changed a nappy ??
Did You throw the baby out ?? :p
And..
a good disinfectent/scented spray etc. will get rid of it..
(thank God I won't let my partner have a cat..)

LOL! NO I never threw the baby out. :lol: And Im sorry but cat doo is MUCH different than baby poo.
I had a bunch of stuff on the floor of the closet, and she went mostly on old scraps of fabric, and a table cloth I have had for too long any way.
The drier sheet are a great idea. The lysol seems to have taken care of any yuck smell.
I think I will try the tape on the door thingy too. Just incase. :D
Thanks everybody

I think I will try the tape on the door thingy too. Just incase
I heard lemon juice keeps them away all together..Though i've never tested it.
As for doing it again, Rub it's nose in it, Literally :p

DeFeKt said:
I think I will try the tape on the door thingy too. Just incase

Hence my suggestion of the quality citrus oil based cleanser....this comes by recommendation of a microbiologist I know that has 15 cats....and my personal experience over the pased 12 years with the stuff....plus it is the best household cleanser you will ever use...and completely non-toxic to pets and kids.

DeFeKt said:
As for doing it again, Rub it's nose in it, Literally :p

It wasn't her fault. She got locked in the closet (accidentally). I don't blame her for the mess.

Petsmart sells a product callet petzyme.... its awsome! It gets out really anything organic. urine, feces, grass, blood.... I love the stuff. I put it in my carpet deepcleaner and my carpet comes out great. I am still in the process of house training our dogs, and it has been a life saver. and look on the bright side, at least it was just poo... urine gets down into the padding of the carpet and its so much more difficult to remove. I am very glad your kitty is fine... I bet she learned her lesson about closets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom