Help! Quill like things growing in tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karebear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am new to this site. I have had many tanks in the past but still not an expert really. I have a 10 gallon tank that has live plants and moss. I also have a betta that has been living in it for a year now maybe more. No problems. I just recently bought 3 cory catfish to put in there. They seemed healthy to me. It's been about a week now and my bettas find appear raggedy and falling apart easily and or tearing and one of the catfish has white fuzzy stuff on its body. I went and bought API brand powdered antibiotics(250mg doxycycline) that treat fin rot and body slime and cloud eye. I'm hoping this will help these fish out?
My other problem.... started about a week ago... around the same time these problems began and I got the new fish... there are white and black quills growing off my wood inside my aquarium. Does anyone know what this could be? I've never seen it before. Ever. I will attach a photo if I'm able too.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200228_131250.jpg
    20200228_131250.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200228_143502.jpg
    20200228_143502.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 38
No. I ordered it from amazon and it's been in there for about a year I'd say. It's very weird!

And I thought I'd mention just in case it has anything to do with it.but those white things started growing about a week and a half ago.... after I got the new fish and I took those logs out to rinse them off under my running faucet. My kid dumped food in so I was rinsing away excess food. I plopped them back in and the next day those started to sprout.

Might have been the extra ammonia from the food which induce the sprouting effect, but still not sure what it is.

Looks kinda cool.

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle?

Basically it works with an established beneficial bacteria cololy processing ammonia, changing it through the process and ending with water which is safe for your tank inhabitants.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

Anyway, if you have a test kit then test the water and see where the numbers fall and if they are in or out of the safe zone.

Take the sample of water to test before changing water again.

Then do a couple more water changes if you do not have a test kit / or if the water is in unsafe levels.

You can take a sample to a fish store for testing.

Generally the ragged fins could be from the water quality or time at the fish store /being shipped.

Ideally keeping the water quality in tip top condition will help with the fish's body being able to focus it's energy on healing.

Unstable and toxic water quality can harm the fish internally (sometimes you don't know about it) and externally.

Back
Top Bottom