Hey just getting into hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noahb196

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I have a 10 gallon with two corys and an empty 29 I just got. I want to use sand in my 29 but I have read some stuff that says sand will ruin my filter
Also in general any tips or trick for some one. New in the hobby

Welcome to the hobby! Sand can indeed be tricky, especially in a small tank. If you're concerned about it, you might want to consider starting with a gravel substrate until you get comfortable with the maintenance activities etc. The only thing I'd recommend is that, if you want to put more corys in your 29, chose a gravel that's rounded rather than one with sharp or jagged edges. The corys spend a lot of time on the substrate so it's safer to have smooth pebbles.

I have a planted 10g tank with 5 corys.

My first advice first of all I to rinse the sand as much as you can, and I mean really rinse it till you get tired of it
If you are planning on starting a planted tank you have two options, have plant substrate at the bottom and top off with sand or make substrate patches (you can find aquascaping videos on YouTube), but my main regret Is having this bright orange clay substrate mixed with my black sand, eventually when I have enough plants I might do less vacuuming but for now it ruins the aesthetics every time I siphon
I've had no issues at all with my filter due to the sand, it actually settles down quite fast when vacuuming so it is never an issue
Also when you have just finished aquascaping you have to stir the sand to remove air pockets

It's my first tank with sand and I don't think I will be going back to gravel any time soon, it just looks a lot more natural at least that's my opinion

BTW my panda corys are way happy with this Sandy substrate, when I get home I might send a picture, it doesn't seem particularly round or sharp to me

Back
Top Bottom