Homeless pets....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
...while their home is in my bathub getting bleached!

I picked up two new fancy mice this weekend - a grey marked one named Thyme (pic 1) and a beige one named Almond (pic2).

Female mice generally sort out a social heirarchy amongst themselves with minimal fighting, but dumping a new arrival into an established colony can lead to serious injuries. I've been housing my new additions separately and slowly introducing them to the rest of the gang on neutral territory - my desk.

Tonight I decided to add Thyme and Almond to the colony. I bleached everything while the colony waited impatiently on a shelf above my desk - eating pumpkin seeds to pass the time. The bleach removes odors that my mice use to identify their territory and helps put my new mice on a more equal footing with the others

If only it were this easy to add new aggressive cichlids to an established tank....

Attachments

• homeless-5_108.jpg
    homeless-5_108.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 35
  • homeless-4_196.jpg
    homeless-4_196.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 38
  • homeless-3_124.jpg
    homeless-3_124.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 28
  • homeless-2_211.jpg
    homeless-2_211.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 32
  • homeless-1_133.jpg
    homeless-1_133.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 31
The introduction went very well. There were a few tussles and some squeaking, but they seem to have established a working social hierarchy. I found the new mice sleeping with some of the older ones yesterday - a good sign!

I was VERY relieved. These new mice are about half the size of the others, and the last time I brought home new mice, two of them got scratched up so badly, I had to apply topical antibiotics for a week.

Back
Top Bottom