Honey Gourami Vs. Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which one would you recommend, and why?
I can't quite put a finger on whether or not I want a honey or dwarf. Each have their pros and cons and I'm just indecisive at this point.

Reasons:
-Dwarf gourami have that blue/red color that I really like, especially flame gourami! I have 2 orange platy so it would be fun to see a different color in the tank. 1pt. DG

-Dwarf gourami are available at my lps; honey gourami isn't. 1pt. DG

-Dwarf gourami can carry DGIV; honey gourami don't. 1pt HG

-Honey gourami are more peaceful; Dwarf gourami are more aggressive 1pt HG

~________~ help.

I have two dwarf gouramis and they are great fish, never hiding behind a plant. what are their long whisker/feeler things called?

I have two dwarf gouramis and they are great fish, never hiding behind a plant. what are their long whisker/feeler things called?

How long have you had them? I really like DG but I do like HG just as equally. The thing that really sets me off however, is DGIV. Also, are they aggressive? I plan to house one with platy and cory.

I believe they are called feelers, but I could be wrong.

DG aren't aggressive at all and get along well with all my fish (including platies) not sure about HG but they are gorgeous colours.

DG aren't aggressive at all and get along well with all my fish (including platies) not sure about HG but they are gorgeous colours.

Okay! Now I may be getting DG. I will try and get other opinions though, before I go out and get one. I really like flame gouramis, do you have one? :)

I personally don't have a flame gourami but my friend does and she adores them. Although she finds them quite shy and had to move them to her other tank to avoid them being bullied. if you are going to get one keep it with calm and peaceful fish as they can get stressed very easily. my favourite is the dwarf gourami, when the aquarium light is on the are neon blue with bold orange stripes.

Go with the honey gourami. They are amazing community fish and there are a few stores on Oahu that sell them. I kept a pair I got from kalihi pets and they were cool

Go with the honey gourami. They are amazing community fish and there are a few stores on Oahu that sell them. I kept a pair I got from kalihi pets and they were cool

I was just there a week ago! I didn't see any, but maybe if they take special orders I will get a HG. I'm still stuck in a rut about what to get though. How are their tanks? I don't even remember how they look like (forgetting is my problem lol).
I currently don't have a QT (parents), so I'm risking a lot. I hope they're not too expensive, I don't have a big of a budget. :(

Community fish are a definite must. They're gonna be housed with other fish, so that's important. :)

go with dwarf gourami, cheap and easy to get. very sociable fish that love company and have a great inquisitive personality. lovely colours as well.

I'm getting two different responses here...

I'm going to be getting new fish in a few days so I guess I have to make up my mind then. However, HG do seem more compatible for my tank.

Try go to pets plus or kalihi pets. They sell both species.

Thank you! I heard that they're reliable, so that's another plus. And their hours are fairly reasonable. The only thing is, is that it's on the far end of where I live lol (1 hour drive).

I will check them out though. :)

I suggest flame dwarf gouramis! I've never had flames but they're beautiful! I have dwarf gouramis and their males so, naturally, they fight. I'm returning the meaner male and getting two females. My friend has two makes and five females and they've never hurt anyone else before! Remember, every fish has a different personality. Fred, one of my males is very timid and swims gracefully. On the other hand, George, my other male gets territorial when after swims by and darts to nip his feelers. :/ When you go to your LFS, watch the dwarf gouramis (if you're still interested) and see which are more aggressive than the others. Hope I help:D

Back
Top Bottom