Horror story!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Omg!! These stories are hilariously funny! Hopefully they prevent others from making the same mistakes.

fibreheart said:
I have some from my 55 and my new 90

First the 55
Kids are so caring :) When my daughters were 4-5(they're 11mths apart so like to do things like twins, including ganging up on mommy ) They decided that the fish were hungry so they emptied my pellets into the tank. A big container 3/4 full. But, it wasn't enough, they needed Fruit Loops, toast and 3 packets of oatmeal. To top things off a spoon. Everyone lived but it took forever to clean

Hahaha my son shared a whole peanut butter sandwich with his goldfish, you turn your back on them for a second and they're "helping"

fibreheart said:
I have some from my 55 and my new 90

First the 55
Kids are so caring :) When my daughters were 4-5(they're 11mths apart so like to do things like twins, including ganging up on mommy ) They decided that the fish were hungry so they emptied my pellets into the tank. A big container 3/4 full. But, it wasn't enough, they needed Fruit Loops, toast and 3 packets of oatmeal. To top things off a spoon. Everyone lived but it took forever to clean.

Sorry for the long post, My family has a ton of these :))

ROFL!!!

I have a few:

I was acclimating an orange GloFish when he managed to jump out of the bowl, which was at least a 2" jump. I came back into the room to check on him and he wasn't in the bowl so I freaked out. I couldn't find him anywhere on my desk, where the bowl was, I found him on the floor, which was about 6 feet below. He made it through, though. The next time I was acclimating an orange fish, it jumped out of the bowl too, almost the exact same situation, except this one didn't fall on the floor. That fish, Torpedo, is still alive today. I've developed a theory that orange fish are naturally suicidal.

Back before I knew better and I was keeping a GloFish in a bowl, I was using glass rocks as substrate. Well, one day I look in the bowl and I can't find Twinkle. I look around the tank and I don't find anything, so I looked in through the top of the bowl and saw just her eye looking up at me from underneath the glass beads, "HELP ME!" I don't know why she decided to go digging but she got stuck. She made it out of that alive, though, and she also made it through me learning how to set up a real fish tank, too.

Then in my SW tank, I use an overflow cup on my display tank, which goes down to my sump, etc. Well I have a small yellow clown goby in there named Sunny, who was one inch long at the most. I couldn't find him for a week or so (plenty of places to hide) but I assumed he died or got eaten or something. Well one day I look at the back of the overflow cup and I see him sitting in there, next to a sponge I had in there. I couldn't shut the pump off because then the water would run out of that part of the overflow, and I couldn't remove most of the stuff in there or else I'd risk him going down the pipes and into the mechanical filtration, where I don't think he'd make it. It was interesting getting him out of there, but he made it. He managed to get back there again before I blocked that off, which gave me yet another ulcer. He's fine, though, and he's stil alive and doing fine in my SW tank.

I have also had a few. Bubbles in the pond was one, all the koi died but the regular goldfish made it. Another was our first SW tank. Our two clowns got sick and we decided to treat them but stupidly put the medication in the main tank. Once we realized this was not good for our invertebrates and corals we saved them all and moved them to a bucket with fresh saltwater and a heater. The heater sensor then ended up falling out of the water and killing everything anyways since the water got wayyy over heated....came home to a bucket of mush.

I have two that i barely remember from when i was young. my parents used to keep a 42 gallon hex and one day my sister decided to feed the fish and dumped all the flake food in, we found that 3 hours later

the second one, and i really feel bad about this. somehow my mom got the sponge she uses to clean the tank and one she used for dishes mixed up. All i remember that day is my mom crying as she quickly put fish in buckets and changed the water as fast as she could. none of them made it.

Hmmmm funny how all younger kids seem to love to help :D lol you gotta admit, oatmeal packets and toast in the tank rotfl!

I've got quite the sad story.
Once when I was younger, we kept a Betta on the kitchen counter. It was a nice display and the Betta was full of personality. Well, that Betta happened to be under some over-hanging cabinets, stocked full with apparently some very heavy dishes.

One day, while my mom was feeding the Betta, my brother called her over because something was wrong with the TV. From the other room, everyone heard a loud CRASH. We run into the kitchen to find the cabinets had fallen, shattering all the dishes... And crushing the Betta tank.
It was terrible! especially at my very young age.

However, thank God that the TV wasn't working, or my Mom would have still been standing under those cabinets.

Sent from my iPod touch using the AA app

No, unfortunately not. It was instant... Those cabinets did some extreme damage on that tank.

mandy2936 said:
I've got quite the sad story.
Once when I was younger, we kept a Betta on the kitchen counter. It was a nice display and the Betta was full of personality. Well, that Betta happened to be under some over-hanging cabinets, stocked full with apparently some very heavy dishes.

One day, while my mom was feeding the Betta, my brother called her over because something was wrong with the TV. From the other room, everyone heard a loud CRASH. We run into the kitchen to find the cabinets had fallen, shattering all the dishes... And crushing the Betta tank.
It was terrible! especially at my very young age.

However, thank God that the TV wasn't working, or my Mom would have still been standing under those cabinets.

Sent from my iPod touch using the AA app

It's so sad what happened to your fish, but like you said, thank God your mom wasn't standing under them.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I'm waiting for my 6 year old to do something, I know it's coming, when I get home I'll share some, a few funny, a few sad

So here's a few. Along time ago I had a betta jump out of the tank, he was so almost dried when we got home but was still breathing figuring he was a goner so I put him back in the tank and went to bed crying. To my suprise in the morning he was swimming around his fins were pretty messed up and covered in dog hair, he lived almost 5 years more!
I decided to by a newt when I was 17 my sister was 16, the thing would crawl between my tanks and no matter how hard I tried it would escape and I would find it in a diffrent tank. So the one morning I couldn't find him when I woke up looked everywhere my mom was madder than a hornet, which didn't compare to when my sister started screaming bloody murder, come to find out she had woken up to my mom yelling to look on the other pillow and seeing a dried up dead newt. In the middle of the night he some how got down to the floor, under my door down the hall under my sister's door and crawled in her bed.
I had moved my Jack Dempsy, Arkight in with me and fiance he was at least 10 years old when we moved into our new apartment I got 2 cats, and he was happy about it he would get all excited when I came home from work, One morning I got up for work and was watching the news I noticed the one cat dragging someting into the middle of the room and continue eating it, figuring it was a mouse I got up to get it away from her and toss it in the garbage. To my horror it was Arkight pretty much eaten, my husband had never heard me scream woke up and came running. He grabbed the cat and was threatening not nice things (I talked him out of it believe it or not, told him the cat didn't know any better.) I burried that fish even gave him a little headstone.

mines not so much a horror story as some of these,but here it is:
i have a blue crayfish in my community tank(shes very docile)and she loves digging under ornaments,and after she found out that the ends of my bridge were hollow she would be constanly digging under them,making her caves bigger,then one day she dug a little too much,and ended up trapped under it.it was not uncommon for her to hide for a couple days,and i didnt start looking for her until a week had passed.she still wont go in the bridge caves.

My horror story happened today, and once before. We were moving my ACF aptly named Jumper, and she jumped out of the net, about three feet to the ground. We then had to chase her for a moment to get her. Now she's swimming happily in her new ten gallon, no worse for ware.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Same here! LOL! I had JUST opened the fish bag from the pet store, netted him out, and he leapt from the net as I was trying to transfer him into his new home. I was terrified for the 10 seconds that I was panicking while trying to scoop him up from the floor. Apparently, these little guys are slippery and QUICK on a carpet!

Back
Top Bottom