How do companys get away with robbing us?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just had to vent with a story.

I was looking around for the AI nano super blue. Found it finally from AquaCave for 269.99 and the controller for 59.99.

I called several LFS's in the area and the prices were 410,420 and even 475!! Controller prices were pretty much match at 100 to 120 dollars!!

How do these people get away with this?! I called AI, well.... Cause I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when I feel strongly about something. I asked the manager there how they get away with upping prices so high and yet online you can get one for half the price and the controller half the price too!!

All he said was something about no cap? That they could sell the light for 1,000 dollars if they want!! I think that's terrible!!

Well right or wrong I put a certain LFS that I go to a lot on blast on Facebook and I'm apparently getting them pretty ticked off but I don't care. I want people to know if there looking for the AI nano or sol go online rather then get taken to the cleansers because someone needs to offset there costs!!

I call foul and it's just not right.

I know we all gotta eat but justify a 200 dollar markup!!!

Thanks for listening

And I'm not afraid to let it be known either.

Dino

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly who cares! It's up to the consumer to make a educated decision on what he or she spends their money on. I own a firearm company and I'd rather sell 100 weapons for $50 mark up over 10 at $200, this way I have more traffic and more repeat customers. So don't flame a company on a public website for their business practices for which they are clearly not doing anything unethical or illegal, move on there are bigger concerns in life than this.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Honestly who cares! It's up to the consumer to make a educated decision on what he or she spends their money on. I own a firearm company and I'd rather sell 100 weapons for $50 mark up over 10 at $200, this way I have more traffic and more repeat customers. So don't flame a company for their business practices for which they are clearly not doing anything unethical or illegal, move on there are bigger concerns in life than this.

Very good point but I do agree its BS and I don't know how they can sleep at night knowing they are marking up over 100% on everything even if its easily available without a business liscense to purchase

HUKIT said:
Honestly who cares! It's up to the consumer to make a educated decision on what he or she spends their money on. I own a firearm company and I'd rather sell 100 weapons for $50 mark up over 10 at $200, this way I have more traffic and more repeat customers. So don't flame a company for their business practices for which they are clearly not doing anything unethical or illegal, move on there are bigger concerns in life than this.

Point taken. I'm not losing sleep over this just think its wrong that's all. I can flame a company if I choose it's my right just like its there right to mark up products by 200 dollars so the working man can't afford it. I've seen this too many times where prices differ so much then people get on members here for not having the proper equipment for a proper tank setup. They probably would if they weren't being taken advantage of! Were already being blind sided by health care let's add a the fish hobby to the list?

And you said it! Mark up a little and move more product hence making more money and probably being able to get more unique firearms in the process because your moving more this having room for new additions.

It's clearly not right I can see a profit but 200 dollars is ridiculous but like our said its up the consumer to shop right and shop smart. I'd hate to have paid for that light and then found it online for such a better price.

Like aquaclear, no more single media sponges etc... Now Fluval packs everything into a box so you have no choice but to buy the sponge,2 bags of carbon and bio media? That's right?

There gonna phase all the replacements out soon and that's the route there gonna go. So if you needed a sponge for 4-7 bucks now your paying 40 bucks for a "110 replacement kit"

I hope I didn't come off rude if so I didn't mean too. I respect you and your input. It's a slow day at the firehouse and it just got me for a second lol.

It's all good though. You made very valid points.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

I can flame a company if I choose it's my right
Not on here...

Dealer/Vendor/Retailer and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Members may post only factual, first hand experiences regarding retailers and vendors. Posts containing opinion, second hand information or content deemed to be intentionally defamatory will be removed. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community.

You prob don't realize how common 100% markups are and up to 500% in many instances around the entire aquatic industry (if you saw the wholesale price you'd prob need a clean pair of shorts) ;) . It's not robbery if the customer is willing to pay for what they want (bad business as a customer to breed negativity because you disagree with a legal price-point).

There's actually a lot more to this story. My sister works in a fish store, and has complained to me before about how cheap things are online. They're taking a beating in a lot of cases because they can't compete with online prices on everyday things like heaters, test kits, and bulbs. Simply put, that's the price they have to sell at to stay profitable. The issue is further confounded on more expensive items like lights. They might pay $200 for something and sell for $300-400, but there's a realistic chance with some niche hardware that it will be sitting on the shelves for weeks to months, tieing up a good chunk of the stores money.

Don't be so quick to hate on the store. They're the victims in some of this too, and flaming them isn't going to help anyone.

They have more overhead than online retailers, they pay salary to more people per sale, they may have an added step in live stock, some online dealers can purchase from collectors where as mom & pop buy from the wholesaler. Mom & pop mark up prices to make up for fish loss and to make up for customers that buy online, instead of in the shop.

I understand saving a buck, but support them where you can or they won't be there.

Question...when was the last time you asked an online retailer for advice on your tank and didn't buy anything from them, even if it wasn't you...same situation at the LFS?

Edited to add: what will really get you is when petco sells a 160g bucket of reef crystals salt on line for 54 dollars with free shipping, but their brick and mortar store sells it for 79 and won't match the price of their own online store.

Since aquariums are not a necessity of modern life, I guess we all have to do our best to shop around and find the best prices.

If you want to see more price gouging, check out one of my other hobbies, radio control boats, planes and cars. Crazy markups on things. They literally take stuff like a two dollar chinese leather punch, put their name on the box, call it a "rock crawler tire venting tool" and charge $39.95 for it. The newbies have no idea and happily snatch it up as the tool of the month.

As mentioned, overhead. Online warehouses and drop shippers have far less overhead than our neighborhood fish stores. The main competitive standard that other LFS go by is other area LFS. In some instances they share a (or a few) mutual product suppliers, so it gives them a rough estimate to go by. Many try to price match with area stores, but otherwise they are going to charge whatever people are willing to pay.

Have you seen the markup on fish? It averages around 300%.

Does this mean we should knowingly pay 2-3x as much locally as we would online? I say no, personally. I like supporting local business and all, but they've got to make an effort to be competitive. It's not my problem that online suppliers can offer rock bottom prices, and LFS have to find a way to adapt or go extinct.

There's actually a lot more to this story. My sister works in a fish store, and has complained to me before about how cheap things are online. They're taking a beating in a lot of cases because they can't compete with online prices on everyday things like heaters, test kits, and bulbs. Simply put, that's the price they have to sell at to stay profitable. The issue is further confounded on more expensive items like lights. They might pay $200 for something and sell for $300-400, but there's a realistic chance with some niche hardware that it will be sitting on the shelves for weeks to months, tieing up a good chunk of the stores money.

Don't be so quick to hate on the store. They're the victims in some of this too, and flaming them isn't going to help anyone.

Good point. I also agree with HUKIT. The way I look at it is, if one place has it way cheaper, that doesn't mean everybody else is too expensive, it just means that one place is cheaper. I certainly understand budget restraints, and they frustrate me a lot too. However, when I like an lfs (or other business for that matter) I will pay a bit more to them to keep in business. The lfs in my last hometown was a bit more expensive than some other places, but they always helped me, and really put a lot of effort into the care of the fish and giving people good advice. In that way, they are more helpful to the hobby than the random sites online who will wantonly sell me cheap goods. JMO.

EDIT: Jeta ninja posted a good point. I should add that I do see a difference between, "a bit higher" and "crazy high."

Last edited:
Yeah you guys make a lot of good points. Guess I just let it get to me that's all. We all have our moments right?

:)

Thanks for cooler heads to prevail. Guess its just the way things go...

Good point. I also agree with HUKIT. The way I look at it is, if one place has it way cheaper, that doesn't mean everybody else is too expensive, it just means that one place is cheaper. I certainly understand budget restraints, and they frustrate me a lot too. However, when I like an lfs (or other business for that matter) I will pay a bit more to them to keep in business. The lfs in my last hometown was a bit more expensive than some other places, but they always helped me, and really put a lot of effort into the care of the fish and giving people good advice. In that way, they are more helpful to the hobby than the random sites online who will wantonly sell me cheap goods. JMO.

EDIT: Jeta ninja posted a good point. I should add that I do see a difference between, "a bit higher" and "crazy high."

Totally agree.

When I see a bit of a difference between places, like $15 compared to $10, I'll buy local if the store is a good store. I want to see them stay in business.

When I see a local place selling a filter for $75 in a faded-out dust covered half smashed box and online has the new model with updates for $23, no way I'm paying for that difference just to pay his kid's college fund.

Isn't there a rule on here about bashing pet stores and other places that you've named specifically?

aaronjohn20 said:
Isn't there a rule on here about bashing pet stores and other places that you've named specifically?

Yea there is, we've established that a few post back, but thanks for your concern and adding to the thread.

Also the original post has been edited.

I too do not like to overpay. Sometimes I will however, when my LFS has an item in stock and I don't want to wait for shipping coupled with the fact I like to support my LFS so they can continue to be around. However, there is a limit to what I feel we as consumers should be subjected to concerning overpaying. $200 more for the same item is IMHO unethical. I know mom & pop, brick & mortar stores have many operating expenses online stores do not have. For that reason a markup is expected and deserved so they can survive. Unreasonable markup causes me to look elsewhere. Sometimes it's amazing how cheap online stores can actually sell stuff. In that case we as consumers get to reap the benefits. When I am looking to buy a big dollar item (such as a chiller, controller, calcium reactor,etc) I may choose an online store so as to save the extra markup money charged at my LFS. In return I will eventually spend that saved money at my LFS on something not quite so pricey (return pump, powerhead, frozen food, etc). So by me shopping competitively, I still do in a sense support my LFS. If I get a light for $200 less online it's easier to justify buying that $300 Scoly from my LFS :)

Totally agree.

When I see a bit of a difference between places, like $15 compared to $10, I'll buy local if the store is a good store. I want to see them stay in business.

When I see a local place selling a filter for $75 in a faded-out dust covered half smashed box and online has the new model with updates for $23, no way I'm paying for that difference just to pay his kid's college fund.

My thoughts exactly... particularly faded-out, dust covered stock!

That's how they make the big bucks...but some places are just plain ridiculous. One lfs was selling a fake rock with fake plants/ moss on it, and they wanted $90.00..... It was all fake!!

That's how they make the big bucks...but some places are just plain ridiculous. One lfs was selling a fake rock with fake plants/ moss on it, and they wanted $90.00..... It was all fake!!
I actually think fake decor is more expensive than live plants. I saw the same thing at my lfs, a fake rock with a fake plant on it, probally no bigger than a soda can was 30$

Back
Top Bottom