How much did you spend? Decor!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to a fish store that was going out of business today. I needed drift wood and slate (angel fish is pregnant and I want to be able to move the eggs into an empty tank a long with the parents). The fish store wanted 1.99lb for the slate the slate ended up being 3 1/2lbs I thought this was a little pricy. Also they wanted $30 dollars for medium/small drift wood. How much did you spend on drift wood?

My Lfs sells driftwood at a fairly reasonable price, a slightly obscure piece no larger than a brick for $6, I did buy a rather large twisty, manzanita style piece for $21 once... The rocks are pricey though, Texas holey rock is 3-4$ a pound...

We get out rocks at a rock yard or hardware/garden store, (they sell slate tile) it's usually MUCH cheaper. Driftwood we pick up along the river/stream/tree that's been dead a long time. Also remember, there is no guarantee your Angels are going to lay eggs where you want them too :D

Depending on the size of the DW, both of the lfs I frequent sell them for around $25 for something that might fit into a 5g tank, to $150+ for the large pieces that would need a 40"+ long tank. All weighted with slate.

Texas holey rock is $3-4/lb? Holy crap! I could make a killing. That stuff is everywhere around Lake Travis (I live in Austin, TX). I had several large pieces in my old sw tanks. Never saw purple growth like I did on those pieces.

We get out rocks at a rock yard or hardware/garden store, (they sell slate tile) it's usually MUCH cheaper. Driftwood we pick up along the river/stream/tree that's been dead a long time. Also remember, there is no guarantee your Angels are going to lay eggs where you want them too :D

I'm hoping they will lay them on the slate. I have a 30 gallon cycling right now that I want to move the angels to once the eggs are laid or as soon as the tank is cycled. I live on the river but all the drift wood I see seems to be rotten or soft.

They had a medium piece of drift wood at the store about a foot long, and 5in high for $24 on slate. 30% off. The wood was just straight no twist or curves. Should I of boughten it. At first I thought it was a lot but after hearing they can be up to 150 it doesn't seem to bad?

The holey rock seems pricey. At the sane time $3/lb for petrified wood seems legit.. I do like the way it looks undahhwatahh! I guess those pieces attached to state do get pricey...

ebay is also a place lots of people get driftwood, you might check there for better prices.

I would I be better off buying from a LPS, a large chain pet store, or should I search the beach and river for a perfect piece ( probably take forever).

ebay is also a place lots of people get driftwood, you might check there for better prices.

I have looked on there before but it's hard to picture what it would look like in my tank from just a picture. Measurements are hard to picture.

My fish store has pretty expensive wood but it looks way cool. I'm still debating whether I should shell out $100 dollars for a huge awesome piece (It's really big and would look sick in my tank) but $100 bucks is a lot for wood...
But other than the massive, odd shaped wood he's actually pretty cheap!

My lfs was high on the prices so I made my own driftwood. DIY always makes it cheaper than easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A massive piece that looks awesome might be worth $100 to me. But that's definitely a personal thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I almost spent $30 on a rather small piece, it was just shaped quite well. Waiting til I get the new tank cycled before I start dropping any more cash into it. Patience, Mr. S, paaaatience. All in good time. *talking to myself again*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That cheers me up on wood. :) pieces of Mongolian vine wood cost me I think $20 to $40 for small-medium pieces that I have bought over time. Larger pieces and some nice mangrove wood (all twisty) is over $100.

Fake rock decorations about the same. Crashed airplanes and sunken ships about $100 to $150. Length is about 1 and a half foot but I think they are pricey.

Most I have ever paid is $9 per cardinal tetra for 10. I reckon gram for gram that's the most expensive fish I've bought.

Most I have ever paid is $9 per cardinal tetra for 10. I reckon gram for gram that's the most expensive fish I've bought.

holy-moly $9 for a cardinal?!? Ouch. I usually see them ~$3 here. I suppose it's where you are and who's got what. Our RCS are ~$5 a pop which I think is ridiculous for so/so coloration.

Yeah, that was a little painful. Usually I wait for a special on the fish I want but had a brain-snap.

Plants I've spent a small fortune on. They are say 4 for $16 or so but I usually buy 8 as I know they will get chomped on. I've tried feeding more at night but even when I know the fish didn't really want that last pinch of flakes, two hours later they are working the plants over. I bought water sprite but two days later it was completely gone :(

Ouch. One of the two big local pet stores sells cardinal tetras for 6 @ $1.99 each online. They were 5 for a $1 in the store...

Back
Top Bottom